Ubnt wired PoE network cameras

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
Anyone use these? It's been on back of my mind to install security cameras and I've been looking around for a while for a decent wired network camera and I think I may have just found it. Decent price, wired and POE. Most of the ones I find when searching are wireless now days which is annoying, you have to run power from the UPS room anyway... it makes more sense to just use wired POE. More secure too.

I've seen similar spec ones at almost a grand from other companies.

These are the ones I'm looking at mostly:

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-video/unifi-video-camera/
https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-video/unifi-video-camera-dome/

Also I think it comes with DVR software, how good is it? Originally I was playing with a cheap camera and zoneminder but that program is so sketchy I think I'd just bite the bullet and setup a Windows VM and use Windows software, so whether I pay for something like blue Iris or use what comes with the ubnt ones if it's decent. Would it's software work for other brand cameras too? Since I already have one Trendnet one I may as well stick that one somewhere too. Also if I go with that software will I be able to view from a Linux machine or does it use activeX or other bullcrap like that?

I haven't used them in a commercial setting, but I did order one (UVC) to play around with at home. I also haven't messed with their NVR software yet. The camera itself has pretty good quality (both build quality and video quality), though I don't have much to compare it with. One thing to note is that only the UVC-PRO is 802.3af POE compatible. The other models are UBNT's passive POE. They do make an 802.3af adapter though (https://www.ubnt.com/accessories/instant-8023af-adapters/).

I bought a 3-pack of those new UVC bullets and the new UVC domes. A bit disappointed to be honest, I ended up "upgrading" to Hikvision.

They are a little overpriced for just 720p BUT the NVR software is brilliant, beats every other piece of software i've tried hands down (and recently i've tried a lot; Hikvision, Blue Iris & Synology to name a few).

use the $100-125 hikvisions myself too and they're great little cams. bought poe injectors for them too. If you buy them from Amazon apparently you gotta be careful what box they come in, there are knock-offs or chinese versions of the same thing which aren't as good or something.

They have built-in web interfaces for recording to a network share, but I have a synology NAS and use its Surveillance Station app to manage and record from these cams instead.

I really wanted to get the ubiquiti cams at first, but they weren't supported by Surveillance Station. Last time I heard though (last month or so) they're supported now.

The ubiquiti cameras are junk. I made the switch to HIK Vision and have not looked back.

Was looking at Hikvision but can't seem to find them in Canada so that's a no go. The attractive part of the Ubnt ones is that you can order straight off their site so you know you're getting the real deal.

The Ubnt NVR software is still not completely reliable either. The newest version 3.1.2 is better, jury is till out IMO.

What hikvisions are you guys using? Does it come with something for NVR? I am looking for some cameras to mount on my soffit to watch the doors.

I've got the "fake" or chinese hikvisions and have no issue with them.

My old Airvision UBNT cams are supported by synology but fairly sure the UVC new ones aren't?

I prersonally never had any issues with the NVR software and thought it was much better than any others i've used (the main 2 advantages i found were; minimal CPU usage when viewing in browswer & no plugins required!!!)

+++++ for hikvision

only reason why you want to get usa verified versions is if you want to update it and have english gui.

otherwise you can get the china revision ones. you just wont get up to date firmware unless you can read chinese.

just dont update the firmware and you'll be fine if you go with the china versions.

Was looking at Hikvision but can't seem to find them in Canada so that's a no go. The attractive part of the Ubnt ones is that you can order straight off their site so you know you're getting the real deal.

The official UBNT store is US only.

The official UBNT store is US only.

Damn it, guess that's out the window too then. I hate how it's so hard to get stuff here. It's ridiculous really. Amazon.ca does have them though but I really use that as a last resort when ordering stuff as it takes months for shipping and you don't know what you're actually getting.

Not in a hurry though, but I just had ran across these and thought I may have found what I've been looking for.

Damn it, guess that's out the window too then. I hate how it's so hard to get stuff here. It's ridiculous really. Amazon.ca does have them though but I really use that as a last resort when ordering stuff as it takes months for shipping and you don't know what you're actually getting.

Not in a hurry though, but I just had ran across these and thought I may have found what I've been looking for.

1. https://www.ubnt.com/distributors/
2. Tik the "Canada box
3. Profit.

In my experience the Ubiquiti cameras are a lot more robust than the Hikvision. We have tried many cheap outdoor cameras, and they almost always need to be reset when temperatures get below 0F degrees.

You can purchase HIK Vision in Canada. Anixter has Canadian locations. There are probably others as well.

What hikvisions are you guys using? Does it come with something for NVR? I am looking for some cameras to mount on my soffit to watch the doors.

I run a DS-7608NI-E2/8P NVR with 2x DS-2CD2332-I 2.8mm, 3x DS-2CD2132-I 2.8mm and a DS-2CD2032-I 4mm.

The NVR software that comes with the camera is good. I only run a physical NVR since I don't want my cameras going down if I do maintenance on my ESXi server.

For the doors you'd want a 2.8mm lense to get the best field of view.

I run a DS-7608NI-E2/8P NVR with 2x DS-2CD2332-I 2.8mm, 3x DS-2CD2132-I 2.8mm and a DS-2CD2032-I 4mm.

The NVR software that comes with the camera is good. I only run a physical NVR since I don't want my cameras going down if I do maintenance on my ESXi server.

For the doors you'd want a 2.8mm lense to get the best field of view.

So that NVR provides POE/networking directly for the cameras, so you just run cabling to the cameras and then plug them in?

Wow Anixter looks like they have lot of stuff in general, never heard of them before. But they don't seem to show any prices. I want to actually be able to shop and view selection/pricing on stuff. Or do you see prices if you make an account? That's the problem with a lot of distributors that are typically listed on product websites though they often don't have any pricing. Not ready to buy now anyway, was more or less curious about the ubnt ones. ubnt.ca does indeed seem to sell directly so I'd probably go with that. The 3 pack for the 720p bullet cams are actually on sale for a bit over 400 bucks... almost tempting to buy now... But think I'll wait, have other stuff to spend money on right now like new windows/patio door so I don't freeze this winter. :p

When I do buy I may even buy the dedicated pvr, though one thing I'm even thinking is just using the ftp function and have it upload a picture every second. Anyone do this for installations that have multiple cameras? Is it usable, or does it just become ridiculous in terms of network traffic and server load? This would remove the need for any special software and can just setup a Linux VM with ftp and be done. Could have a basic web page to let me browse through history and what not. It seems a lot of 3rd party cheap cameras have this feature too so it does not really tie me to any specific brand, I just have to research ahead of time to make sure it does in fact have the feature before buying any specific camera.

I've always been partial of Vivotek cameras.

They provide some awesome Windows DVR software with their cameras for free called "ST7501" that works great and allows up 32 cameras on a single server. http://www.vivotek.com/st7501

At work I have a little over 150 Vivotek cameras in service (not all in one location or on the same server of course) And I have 4 installed at home.

I've been using a lot of these lately: http://www.vivotek.com/fd8168 They make great indoor cameras.

Their cameras can also operate standalone if you so desire... As in upload snap shots to a remote server when detecting motion, or to a installed SD card (on the models that have SD card slots)

So that NVR provides POE/networking directly for the cameras, so you just run cabling to the cameras and then plug them in?

Yes. I run a separate PoE switch however

You need an account for Anixter. Call them up and get setup. Then you can login to see prices, etc. Beware they aren't cheap like amazon, etc. but they are reasonable usually.

Back