UBISOFT shutting down game servers for some older titles.

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Online Services Update for multiplayer services to be ended on October 6th, 2015. I figured that someone plays older games and would be interested. If it has a single player then it is supposed to keep working. Some games may have LAN support.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1241617

PC Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.
PS3 Shaun White Snowboarding
PC Settlers: Heritage of Kings
PC Heroes of Might and Magic 5
PC Far Cry
Xbox 360 Your Shape Fitness Evolved
PC The Adventures of Tintin
PS3 The Adventures of Tintin
Xbox 360 The Adventures of Tintin
PC RUSE Beta
Xbox 360 MotionSports
PC Scrabble 2007
PC World In Conflict

Wow, the beta for R.U.S.E is still out?
That's impressive.

All of these games are ancient anyways.
Best to keep focus on the newer games and put all the money towards those servers.

It's a waste if only a few hundred people or more combined are playing all of those titles online.

Wow, the beta for R.U.S.E is still out?
That's impressive.

Best to keep focus on the newer games and put all the money towards those servers.

It's a waste if only a few hundred people or more combined are playing all of those titles online.

Or, they could let people actually host dedicated servers again.

Holy shit, props to Ubisoft for keeping some of those game servers around as long as they have!

Pretty pissed about scrabble. I won't be buying anymore Ubisoft games.

It seems like all of these servers could be run of a single machine in VMs. The cost of running this would be next to nothing have effectively zero impact on newer games, especially for a company the size of Ubisoft.

But I guess there will always be somebody to swallow the shit sandwich these companies are serving their customers these days, and then ask for seconds.

This is bullshit. Ive only owned shawn white snowboarding for a few weeks and i only bought it because i saw on the box it had online play. Ubisoft can eat a dick.

Too bad about HAWX. Far from a great game, but co-op in the campaign was fun enough. Hopefully we can at least play on LAN.

No more World in Conflict eh?

I know a couple of people that are gonna be PISSED.

They should consolidate it to a small server instead. That said, these are quite old so it's hard to fault them for it. Though they should allow private servers... but what company allows that these days?

They should consolidate it to a small server instead. That said, these are quite old so it's hard to fault them for it. Though they should allow private servers... but what company allows that these days?

most games are all peer to peer these days, and the multiplayer experiences suck because of it. Major lag due to crappy matchmaking paring you with people on the opposite side of the planet who still use dialup and cheating lagswitchers abound.

Never played any of these games when they were new, except maybe world in conflict for about 10 minutes.

I said private servers... not quite the same as peer to peer. Though peer to peer is better than none at all. But even with the peer to peer they use in those games, do they not also go through their own servers for match making? then the game is peer to peer?

I said private servers... not quite the same as peer to peer. Though peer to peer is better than none at all. But even with the peer to peer they use in those games, do they not also go through their own servers for match making? then the game is peer to peer?

typically yes, but the matchmaking server traffic and load is insignificant when compared to what it would be if everyone was connecting to and playing on a central server.

Back