Ubisoft Sales for PC Games Eclipses Xbox One Totals

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Ubisoft released their latest sales figures to investors and they have far exceeded their projected goals. PC games eclipsing Xbox sales is mildly surprising and it seems that Ubisoft is ready to expand their PC lineup into China via a partnership with Tencent. I wonder how The Crew 2 is going to perform financially as Brent Justice called the level of detail distance in the game "disgusting" and an overall "graphics downgrade from the previous title" during his exclusive video card performance review of the title.

In answering an investor question about its efforts to release PC-centric games like Rainbow Six Siege in the Asia region, Ubisoft's CEO Yves Guillemot said, "We are working with different organizations to make those games approved in China, and they will be launched as soon as those approvals will be given."

The PlayStation 4 still accounted for more:
  1. PS4 = 38%
  2. PC = 24%
  3. XB1 = 22%
Still, nice to see Sony taken down a notch in at least one metric.

24% vs 22% Eclipses?
Interestingly only PS4 game sales are down (relatively), PC and Switch games are up.

*ignoring old gen drop from 2% to 1%

I don't know why the console community clings to thinking its the larger market. While it does command a strong market in some categories it doesn't even come close to PC games on a worldwide scale and never really has. This is bluntly why everyone who went consoles "because it was easier" development wise is transitioning back to the larger and more diverse PC market. Hell SimCity4 is STILL selling... and will continue to do so thanks to digital distribution and the naturally backwards compatible PC platform.

I'm not that surprised considering I'm the only person I know besides my brother that owns an Xbone.

2e98p4.jpg

I don't know why the console community clings to thinking its the larger market. While it does command a strong market in some categories it doesn't even come close to PC games on a worldwide scale and never really has. This is bluntly why everyone who went consoles "because it was easier" development wise is transitioning back to the larger and more diverse PC market. Hell SimCity4 is STILL selling... and will continue to do so thanks to digital distribution and the naturally backwards compatible PC platform.

38+22>24

That is a larger market.

PC games are more than the rare few developers you see in the united states. There are thousands of PC developers in the world. Outside of North America, it's not even a major contest to which platform has more consumers for pretty much all types of games.

I also explicitly stated that consoles do hold a higher number in some markets. Hurray! Ubisoft sells more games to its.... target audiences and market? They advertise more to consoles than PC.. the fact that PC is even in the running should tell you something right there.

The functional problem with the myth of consoles having a huge market is the fact that there really aren't that many console developers and its really easy to track the product from store to home. With the PC market it's effectively impossible to get an accurate snapshot of every developer worldwide beyond the major companies. Indie devs pretty much don't have to report anything. Hell steam doesn't even have to report detailed sales figures.

Yes, but even with all those PCs, the PC market has barely beaten the Xbox One, and everyone likes to say how poorly the Xbox One has done.

But there's a lot of non-AAA gaming that goes on with PCs. That market is much larger on the PC than consoles.

At the very least, this tells us that PC gaming is not to be ignored, so hopefully we will get more attention, and not just an afterthought port of a console game.

These days it's definitely not. Over the last year Best Buy and Walmart have started to cater to PC gamers with a lot of gaming hardware, decent stuff even especially with keyboards and mice. Best Buy has always had a certain amount of it but fairly new to Walmart I think to see a dedicated PC gaming hardware section in Electronics.

Ubisoft, the company leading the charge on intrusive DRM and actively hates the PC market.

I like their games, just not as much as I dislike them. It's still pretty impressive though.

As the master race, we do not need to continually prove our existance

But yet you guys do and try to twist every state in your favor.
And yet we do, because there is always some article that tries to convince people that PC gaming is dead. Or will die soon. This has been going on for well over a decade.
So please allow one article in a million to be biased the other way, OK?

There is no need for this. My PS4Pro, and my gaming PC are less than 1 feet from each other and they didn't try to get in a fight yet. Why don't you try the same? Live and let live.

And yet we do, because there is always some article that tries to convince people that PC gaming is dead. Or will die soon. This has been going on for well over a decade.
So please allow one article in a million to be biased the other way, OK?

There is no need for this. My PS4Pro, and my gaming PC are less than 1 feet from each other and they didn't try to get in a fight yet. Why don't you try the same? Live and let live.
Console players ain't the one screaming PC Peasants and Master console race all the time. Both sides need to grow the fuck up already. There are ups and downs on both side. In the end all that matter is the games.

These days it's definitely not. Over the last year Best Buy and Walmart have started to cater to PC gamers with a lot of gaming hardware, decent stuff even especially with keyboards and mice. Best Buy has always had a certain amount of it but fairly new to Walmart I think to see a dedicated PC gaming hardware section in Electronics.
It is interesting, seeing the "gaming" hardware, but about the only games you see are the puzzles and Nancy Drew mystery games on the $9.99 rack. That plus a couple of others. I'm mainly talking about game development, which many I have tried are poorly done console ports. Not all, mind you, but even the ones I have enjoyed have shown their console first development.

The Paris-based company highlighted its back catalogue and continued “player reoccurring investment” in live services like For Honor and Rainbow Six Siege, the latter of which recently hit 35 million players. Total digital sales were up 76.7%, while in-game purchases jumped 51.5%. Monthly active users are up 40%, hitting a record for the quarter.
"We had a record first quarter, which exceeded our expectations. This performance was fueled by steady growth for our back-catalog and an excellent momentum for PRI, once again confirming the increasingly recurring profile of our business and the ever-greater success of our digital transformation," Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said. Back-catalog net bookings reached €333 million ($388 million) over the quarter, an increase of nearly 75 percent that represents 87.2 percent of total net bookings.
-From PCGamer

Ubisoft will seek to continue the trend of more micro-transactions, expanding and extending game length and game engagement. Frankly, thats the bigger story than the console wars. I know theres plenty of people here who don't like the idea of microtransactions, but its increasing expansion into AAA games is paying off not just for EA. I expect the rest of the AAA industry to continue to follow this trend.

It is interesting, seeing the "gaming" hardware, but about the only games you see are the puzzles and Nancy Drew mystery games on the $9.99 rack.

Well, because unlike PC gaming, PC physical releases pretty much are dead. With the ones left out there, you essentially just get a code in a box.

Console players ain't the one screaming PC Peasants and Master console race all the time. Both sides need to grow the fuck up already. There are ups and downs on both side. In the end all that matter is the games.
Oh, please. The Pc master race bullshit is a meme, nobody uses it literally. If anything it become more of a jest towards PC fanatics. Than it ever was an insult.

It is interesting, seeing the "gaming" hardware, but about the only games you see are the puzzles and Nancy Drew mystery games on the $9.99 rack. That plus a couple of others. I'm mainly talking about game development, which many I have tried are poorly done console ports. Not all, mind you, but even the ones I have enjoyed have shown their console first development.

I've noticed that too, $100+ keyboards on the shelves but no real PC games. But that's because of Steam.

For AAA developers but I think overall PC gaming is slightly larger? There's a lot more PCs than consoles out there.
Globally, the PC gaming market is larger than all of consoles combined. However, a lot of that is due to juggernauts like World of Warcraft, League of Legends, Hearthstone, etc. In the AAA market, it's been below Xbox and Playstation for a long time. That's why this is significant, since it could be taking the #2 spot for lead platform.

If you don't think PC gaming is a large market. Look at how many MILLIONS of dollars people have given Star Citizen to TRY and make a comprehensive PC only game. I think that settles that right there.

Do you think if this was going to be a console only game it would have had that kind of fan backing?

If it's not then it sure is heading towards no single player included /all streaming and for me that's as good as it dying

No single player and all streaming? Maybe that'll come to pass but far from it yet. And streaming, at least as an option, isn't necessarily a bad thing at least in terms of affordability.

Globally, the PC gaming market is larger than all of consoles combined. However, a lot of that is due to juggernauts like World of Warcraft, League of Legends, Hearthstone, etc. In the AAA market, it's been below Xbox and Playstation for a long time. That's why this is significant, since it could be taking the #2 spot for lead platform.

Sure, the e-sports titles are a big deal but I think people in a place like this forget just how much casual PC gaming content is out there. Perhaps casual is the best word for it, I'm simply talking about non-RPG, non-FPS types of games. Platformers, 2D strategy, puzzlers, etc.

Oh, please. The Pc master race bullshit is a meme, nobody uses it literally. If anything it become more of a jest towards PC fanatics. Than it ever was an insult.

Only Poors argue about PC or Consoles being superior. Just like only Poors argue about what console is superior. Poors don't have valid opinions because they are Poors.

Console gaming: spend less, plug in and play, ignore the limitations and move on.

Pre-Built PC: spend more, get fooled by the packaging hype only to find out that most barely surpass a console, get ridiculed by friends for spending too much and thus less money to invest in games. The few that do truly surpass cost 3-4x vs. a console.

Build your own:To do right will still cost a pretty penny, continually need to maintain some education for updates and system upkeep(also hoping that an update doesn't break something). Unless you get lucky first time around, a lot of research to pair all the right parts for something that can outlast multiple gens of consoles. Great satisfaction if/when you succeed but still a substantial ongoing commitment.

Just looking at these tiers shows a similarity to the % breakdowns at the top of the thread. I've been PC exclusive for almost 10 years now. I have great memories of my PS1, PS2, Nintendo 64, and even first Xbox days. Can even say way back to first Atari console(before it was called VCS). These days I'm considering getting a PS4 pro around BF just because of their exclusives and wanting to move onto AMD tech in a more affordable way for VRR T.V.'s and both GPU companies seeming to take a longer release schedule for something top tier. I've got a number of friends that also build their own and it's very common for them to have some kind of console to pair with. Usually a Switch or PS. I feel this thread was about XBox slumping. By the specs, the hardware is impressive. As a single gaming system for most people it's pretty obvious they missed their target demo-graph. It blurred too close to PC and at that point many chose the PC or PS/Switch paths.

Current rumors are that MS is looking at more 'innovative' ideas for the next one. Seemingly taking pages from Nintendo's book. Probably a good idea. Nintendo has a proven track record at showing the most cutting edge hardware isn't always needed for fun. They don't always succeed, but mostly do well.

Best Buy has a rack full of download codes for popular titles. Getting a box at retail is what is dead. Why spend extra money on packaging and shipping when you're only going to include a download code, anyway?

Best Buy has a rack full of download codes for popular titles. Getting a box at retail is what is dead. Why spend extra money on packaging and shipping when you're only going to include a download code, anyway?
Sure, but then you have the exposure to games. I know it's a different beast now, but when you have racks and racks full of XB, PS, and Nintendo games, but just a 6' section for PC games, to the uninformed, which is the gaming platform to use? Plus it doesn't help when your christmas bonus is a bunch of wal-mart gift cards, and they don't carry what you want.

I still see the XO and PS4 as basically the same console. They share the exact same CPU which is essentially garbage in performance.

Ubisoft's Rainbow 6 is huge on both PC and consoles, yet it is a far better game on PC. Native mouse and keyboard and not having to play at a lowly 60hz (which is terrible on Siege).

The 30fps on console for many Ubisoft games really is depressing, but that is the console's fault.

Microsoft wants native mouse and keyboard for their console and they now support 120hz. Their next console should essentially be a low end PC that can do 1080p120hz, 4k30, and 4k60 depending on the game.

This coupled with crossplay should be interesting.

Sure, but then you have the exposure to games. I know it's a different beast now, but when you have racks and racks full of XB, PS, and Nintendo games, but just a 6' section for PC games, to the uninformed, which is the gaming platform to use? Plus it doesn't help when your christmas bonus is a bunch of wal-mart gift cards, and they don't carry what you want.

I don't think PC gaming is quite that unknown. These days when you walk into a Best Buy or Walmart PC gaming hardware and accessories are on the shelves along with Steam gift cards.

Back