Ubisoft pulls new titles from Steam

Either paperwork is slow, or a major disagreement.

Still, the way ubi$oft execs probably see this is who needs too pay Steam when you have upay... I mean uplay.

That's going to negativity affect them much more than Valve. Oops.

I think the biggest gem on there was the top comment/reply.

Comment :"so am i getting my money back for the copy of the crew i preordered on steam?"
Reply: "Wow. Entitled much?"

Too good.

That's going to negativity affect them much more than Valve. Oops.

Figured this would happen eventually. I had hoped they would continue selling on Steam to. I doubt Ubisoft will see a difference in profits, especially considering the fact that they always ran on Uplay regardless of Steam. Those who hated Uplay were not buying anyways.

EA and Ubisoft have a lot of big titles and can pull it off. I just hope other companies don't introduce even more clients... although I don't know of any others that have enough titles to sustain it.

so much for me buying any rocksmith song packs

ever

Oh, fucking, well! I hate every game ubi makes, so no skin off my nose. AC is the same tired, regurgitated crap every year, and the FC series has been dead to me since the first game. I got FC3 and AC (whatever the pirate crap was) for free, and I couldn't get through more than a couple hours before I wanted to wrap my mouse cord around my neck.

Ubisoft has no control on what games Valve pulls from Valves Service. Very misleading title.

Seeing as how uPLay does all the service for this game.. It being on Steam is kinda pointless tho. And its just taking from Ubisoft's rightfully earned profit.

Ubisoft has no control on what games Valve pulls from Valves Service. Very misleading title.

Seeing as how uPLay does all the service for this game.. It being on Steam is kinda pointless tho. And its just taking from Ubisoft's rightfully earned profit.

Except it is Ubisoft's own stupid choice to go with Steam. They tie their games in to it. If you get, say, AC4, you might think to feed the key in to Uplay and just use that. Nope, Ubisoft is too cheap to run their own download service. So it'll make you log in to Steam and download it there, then launch Uplay to play it.

I'm fine if companies want to go their own way. Like I bought Red Alert 3 on Steam, but Origin happily ingested the key and will run without Steam started. However Ubisoft wants the best of both worlds: They want you to have to use their shit, but then they also want to have Steam send you the data.

So, this will affect the "three biggest releases of 2015". Yawn. The only way I was going to get one of those three games this year was when I was going to purchase my 980 video card.

Companies are going to have to realize that it is easier to convince people to stop spending than it is to convince them to start spending. They also need to get into the mentality of "What is Steam doing well, and how can we improve on that experience to make more money?" rather than "How do we figure out a way to avoid Steam's cut to make more money and to hell with the user experience?"

I have no problems with Uplay and never have. I don't really get the hate, but whatever. I guess there were problems for early adopters of the software?

I have no problems with Uplay and never have. I don't really get the hate, but whatever. I guess there were problems for early adopters of the software?

Not to speak for anyone else...but I think folks are really resistant to the proliferation of distribution/DRM platforms for each publisher. We have learned that installing tons of stuff, particularly stuff that is peering under the hood of your system, from lots of different outfits is just not a good idea.

Personally, I even resisted Steam for several years. There is just no way in hell I am going to run Steam, UPlay, Origin, GFWL...oh yeah, they shut that one off, stranding peoples games, at least temporarily.

You get the idea.

I paid $60 for Rocksmith, and have NEVER been able to access all the features because they require UPlay and it is not worth it to me to install more bloat.

Just because I bought your product does not mean I am going to give you access to my system/make yet another goddammed account/get your spam/etc.

Not happening, and somehow I manage to entertain myself just fine.

I agree with the above. I don't want multiple DRM services each with their own accounts, policies, install paths, quirks, etc. And worst of all UPlay seems to be a piece of crap. At one point after installing it on my girlfriends machine I had to do a system repair just to get the system back to the desktop.

Let's remember there would be no UPlay without Steam. Wouldn't exist. Same with GOG, same with Origin, same with WB Play and everyone else trying to get a piece of digital distro now that the trail has been blazed. And more power to them.

Ubisoft would be making console games exclusively, if this were the alternate reality where Steam had never reinvigorated PC gaming.

Last edited:

Its not that there are problems. It's that there are no benefits. It's an unnecessary layer which provides little beyond a "free wallpaper" or two for unlocking an achievement - whoo hoo let's shoot our guns in the air. Its a speedbump to launching a game and not much else.

What if every game you launched from Steam in turn spawned the developer/publisher's own middleman game launcher that sat resident? BethesdaPlay, 2KPlay, NamcoPlay, SquareEnixPlay, TakeTwoPlay, etc. etc. People will try to rationalize "well the slope isn't that slippery" but its already happening: WB Play, etc.

I understand Ubisoft's motivation, but the fact creates in me as a consumer no sense of obligation, as it brings nothing to the table to make the game better.

Last edited:
Meh.

Just the fact that I'll have to download and install yet another service now to get AC:Unity or FarCry 4 is enough to deter me from even purchasing them. If it were on Steam, I would probably consider buying them. But because they're making it more complicated by requiring yet another service/storefront/whatever they're going to use, there is no way I am going to buy these.

Seems like they're just shooting themselves in the foot

It's funny because I'd still rather deal with UPlay than read this shitty ass excuse of a gaming site.

Yes. If I meant this forum, I wouldn't be posting here. :eek:

Its your typical pc gamer rabble, followed up with "steam good, everything else bad" mentality.

:rolleyes:

I'd say Valve is probably the one playing hardball here. Their message is obviously being sent loud and clear by the Steam drones.

I'd say Valve is probably the one playing hardball here. Their message is obviously being sent loud and clear by the Steam drones.

just hold the fuck up buddy

I am not a Steam drone, I actually refused to play any new titles for 5 or 6 years because I thought Steam was creepy and invasive. I, and some of my friends, refused to have it on our box and just kept playing the old games off the old CDs.

Of course, one by one, we fell to the new order...and it is true, Gabe has not fucked me yet.

This does not mean that I'm going to install every BonziBuddy bullshit that comes down the pike.

just hold the fuck up buddy

I am not a Steam drone, I actually refused to play any new titles for 5 or 6 years because I thought Steam was creepy and invasive. I, and some of my friends, refused to have it on our box and just kept playing the old games off the old CDs.

Of course, one by one, we fell to the new order...and it is true, Gabe has not fucked me yet.

This does not mean that I'm going to install every BonziBuddy bullshit that comes down the pike.

Hey! No offense. :p

But seriously, that's the point. Valve knows Ubisoft has to play by their rules. All the people who are mad and blaming Ubisoft for this is probably exactly what Valve wanted. Now Ubisoft has to open them cheeks.

I've never had problems with Steam, and I've never had problems with Origin. But I've had a ton of issues with UPlay. Bye bye Ubisoft.

To be fair Steam did have a rough start but it was a new type of system. What gets me is all the clones having so many issues by refusing to learn from the mistakes of the originators (not just Steam). I had uPlay with a few games I bought through Steam and it kept failing or forgetting I was logged in with an account.

Origin may be better now but as others say I don't need 8 options of which most are not that great. I don't think Steam is perfect but it does its job without being a burden. Vavle at least is looking in the right direction being the company that it is.

I do not get the same feeling from EA or Ubi... That they want to deliver games to people easily, efficiently and let us enjoy them.

even with the Steam version you still need Uplay to launch the game so I don't understand why they removed these titles...and yes they are going to be huge sellers this holiday season

You do realize that these games were already on Steam for sometime, and people could purchasing them. This obviously would require both parties to already agree on all the terms.

It was only a matter of time before Ubisoft made their game exclusive to uplay. It always happens with big release and Ubisoft saw these games as that opportunity.

Not that they are the biggest of 2015, but still these are the most popular titles ubisoft have, so

Except it is Ubisoft's own stupid choice to go with Steam. They tie their games in to it. If you get, say, AC4, you might think to feed the key in to Uplay and just use that. Nope, Ubisoft is too cheap to run their own download service. So it'll make you log in to Steam and download it there, then launch Uplay to play it.

If you bought it on Steam you download it on steam.. They aren't gonna pay electric and download bills for you to DL it on uPlay when you bought it on steam. Esp when steam takes a cut of the sales..

Ubisoft runs there own download service. So I think you're confused on whats happening here.

Ubisoft would be making console games exclusively, if this were the alternate reality where Steam had never reinvigorated PC gaming.

Ubisoft has been on PC way before Steam. Steam changed PC gaming cause it offered cheap games not cause it was so ground breaking. Personally i'd rather Steam wasn't made. There was a day when PC gamers wanted DRM free games. I wish that was still true.

Last edited:
Ubisoft has been on PC way before Steam. Steam changed PC gaming cause it offered cheap games not cause it was so ground breaking. Personally i'd rather Steam wasn't made. There was a day when PC gamers wanted DRM free games. I wish that was still true.

The point was only that UPlay wouldn't exist without Steam.

It's certainly easy to say now that "games should just be DRM free" since we actually have new PC games to talk about, but back in the middle-late 2000's PC games piracy was at an all time high and publishers were bailing out on their PC development plans in droves, many announcing they were focusing future titles on consoles exclusively. Within 2-4 years a lot of those same publishers saw the PC gaming resurgence that Steam did a huge part to make happen, and once again began including PC in their platform stable. I do love how everyone forgets this.

By that reasoning, no one should sell their games on Amazon either since Amazon is "taking their profit".

Steam isn't that good anyways. Way too much indie crap. Less monopoly is better as well.
I don't see how it's better if the game is only available in lesser places. Because you'll be forced to use a service just because it's the only place to get the game, rather than because the service is actually better than the others where you can get your games as well.

The game is already available at uplay. If people are not voluntarily purchasing their game there, then you'll have to look into why people aren't choosing doing so, rather than just force everyone to use it.

my first experiences with uplay on A/C - there was a run button for A/C. and a server disconnect message that allowed you to exit the game - mapped to the same run button. So I would be playing the game and then staring at my desktop. bunch of morons.

Its all abouts the money, you get what you can from the fans and then you turn the knives onto other parts of the distribution process, because it is easy. apparently gaben told them to go fuck themselves.

Back