Ubisoft: New DRM will shut games down if disconnected from the internet

Thats why you use the "Skip chapter" feature on your DVD player/dvd software. Its not like the ads and stuff on DVDs are a huge problem. Its a total bullshit excuse.
Try that on my standalone player and you'll be met with "This action is currently prohibited". On occasion, even fast-forwarding is prohibited during trailers.

Try that on my standalone player and you'll be met with "This action is currently prohibited". On occasion, even fast-forwarding is prohibited during trailers.

Same here. DVD and BD both and quite often. It's very annoying.

In reality, it's been a total non-issue. I completely forgot about it. My computer is connected to the internet at all times, so launching Steam, or playing an online game, or even having a single player game check with a server, just isn't an issue.

If a person pirates a game, and then can't play because he's not being authenticated by a server somewhere then this is a great, great thing.

We've already been over it but what if you're traveling with a laptop and don't have an internet connection? I'll tell you what will happen, you won't be able to play the game you spent fifty bucks on.

It's amazing that a person will be able to view their email when disconnected from the internet but the moment a single player game detects no connection you're booted.

And do you really think this will stop the pirates? I guarantee you there will be a hack for this on release day. It's going to be a worse experience for the people that actually spent money on the game.

We've already been over it but what if you're traveling with a laptop and don't have an internet connection? I'll tell you what will happen, you won't be able to play the game you spent fifty bucks on.

It's amazing that a person will be able to view their email when disconnected from the internet but the moment a single player game detects no connection you're booted.

And do you really think this will stop the pirates? I guarantee you there will be a hack for this on release day. It's going to be a worse experience for the people that actually spent money on the game.

A little liberty lost here. A little there. A little more every day. "Oh it isn't that bad."

It adds up.

It's all wrong.

And this nonsense sure as hell isn't going to stop piracy anyways, so who are we kidding here?

It's been that way for a while in PC gaming.

It really burns my ass when I think about it sometimes. You try to do the right thing and you get punished.

There comes a point in that cycle of madness when the law of intended and unintended consequences comes into effect.

Why bother to do the right thing?

It's been that way for a while in PC gaming.

It really burns my ass when I think about it sometimes. You try to do the right thing and you get punished.

There comes a point in that cycle of madness when the law of intended and unintended consequences comes into effect.

Why bother to do the right thing?

remember Dark Athena? :p

Good Luck to ubisoft, for having the balls to try and do somthing about the parasites euphamistically called pirates who are slowly sucking the life out of pc gaming.

Good Luck to ubisoft, for having the balls to try and do somthing about the parasites euphamistically called pirates who are slowly sucking the life out of pc gaming.

You wrote this in both threads and I agree with you in principle but I don't care for this particular sort of concept and execution.

We've all hashed this out a billion times. There's good ways to protect software that doesn't have to involve shenanigans.

Way to stick it to 'em.

That's exactly what Ubisoft and especially MS want you to do.

Did you only read that far and decide to impulse reply? :rolleyes:

Me said:
Even if I go that route, I'm still conflicted about whether if I should buy the game at all. I mean, I want to support the dev team in Montreal but I don't want to support Ubisoft as a whole for this new DRM. I also don't want to be made part of an example that "OMG PC GAMING FAILS CONSOLES ONLY WAI 2 GO" if I go the 360 route.

For clarity's sake, I don't want to be made into an example or a statistic by Ubisoft (lol not you guys) to forward an argument that the PC as a gaming platform is unfavorable in comparison to consoles on the basis of which platform generates more sales, even though it will probably happen anyway. I've been holding out for Conviction ever since 2006 hence I'm awfully tempted to get the game for any platform it's released on. This whole DRM fiasco makes it even more tempting to get it for the 360 because I don't want to go out and buy a $60 box and (near) coaster that only works if I'm continuously connected to the internet.

Maybe I'll just buy the 360 version used. :cool:

Did you only read that far and decide to impulse reply? :rolleyes:

Yup I skimmed your earlier post a bit too fast. Sorry.

Maybe I'll just buy the 360 version used. :cool:

And take your chances on the RROD 360? I wouldn't pay two cents for that fatally broken hardware.

I think I like the odds with this DRM better. ;)

This is about as effective as only using a CD-Key to stop pirates.

maybe it will maybe it won't but i would much rather a company try than take the stardock apporach and throw thier hands up and give up, and instead make games that make money, by being so low budget that no matter how much the game is pirated, it is still profitable. I still dream of AAA titles on my pc and not just the land of stardock games.

drm has done nothing but kill every single industry its been thrown at. it causes nothing but problems. companies bitch and whine about copyrights. make a decent product and people will buy it. theres so much shit being produced now no wonder no one wants to pay for it. console games are just as bad. you might get 1 game in 20 thats even worth buying. pc games went to the shitter when they started porting them from console. it should be the other way around.....

Yup I skimmed your earlier post a bit too fast. Sorry.
You missed out on some pretty funny responses :(.
But Apologies accepted anyway and no hard feelings. :cool:

And take your chances on the RROD 360? I wouldn't pay two cents for that fatally broken hardware.

I think I like the odds with this DRM better. ;)

Meh, I've already been through two RROD and a rebuilt/upgraded 20->120GB drive (which has been running in coexistence with XBL without a hitch for about a year now :cool:). If it breaks again, I'll just get a new arcade unit since they're expected to be less prone to failure (in addition to being quiet and HDMI; I don't even have that feature on my 360).

maybe it will maybe it won't but i would much rather a company try than take the stardock apporach and throw thier hands up and give up, and instead make games that make money, by being so low budget that no matter how much the game is pirated, it is still profitable. I still dream of AAA titles on my pc and not just the land of stardock games.

They didn't give up, they just realized it was useless at stopping pirates.

So your broadband NEVER goes down? What about the people that have bad connections? What if a storm goes through and knocks your ISP out? What if you're wanting to play a game on your laptop while you're traveling with no internet connection?

If anything happens to your connection you can forget playing a game you spent 50ish dollars for. Heck, you'll lose all of your progress since the last checkpoint. We ought to be able to charge Ubisoft for time lost due to this.

MMO's have been doing this for years.. And these people pay monthly for service that goes down every Tuesday. If the they stop adding 3rd party DRM and installing extra stuff for this DRM system i'm all for it.

They didn't give up, they just realized it was useless at stopping pirates.

and would you want to play the games that resulted for thier determination that there was nothing they could do to stem the tide of piracy, all the time? i sure wouldn't. I will gladly put up with the inconveince if it means i get to play the game on my pc.

and would you want to play the games that resulted for thier determination that there was nothing they could do to stem the tide of piracy, all the time? i sure wouldn't.

I'd play any Stardock release over just about anything Ubisoft has put out since Far Cry. I'm not sure what your point is. For all their anti-piracy efforts, they sure don't seem to be able to make a decent game. Funny, how I'd rather play a good game than see releases with tough-to-crack copy-protection.

Bethseda uses only a cd check and sells millions of copies

Ubisoft games are barely even worth pirating, the only Ubisoft game I own is for PS3, Assassin's Creed

I haven't played any other Ubisoft games in a long time, nor do I pirate them.

I won't feel sorry for Ubisoft when they look at the piracy numbers for their upcoming games.

DRM detours the common person, the people who buy the game, put it in their Drive and try to make a copy for a friend, the people who dont know you can download games and crack them, are clueless about P2P sites and so on, which is likely the larger percentage of their customer base and their profit margins.

Remember, the people on [H] are less then %1 i am sure of the computer market, people who know how to do things and where to get them.

Not sure where you got that idea from. What DRM deters is the piracy based for-profit gaming markets in other countries like Africa and China, as well as used game vendors.

I'd play any Stardock release over just about anything Ubisoft has put out since Far Cry. I'm not sure what your point is. For all their anti-piracy efforts, they sure don't seem to be able to make a decent game. Funny, how I'd rather play a good game than see releases with tough-to-crack copy-protection.

I want crysis to be pc only. crysis is now multiplatform because economically game of that type can no longer be supported economcally on the pc. So I am all for developers trying to find a system such that games like crysis can be supported again soley by the pc market, without having to be comprimised by console development.

There is such a system, but it's not DRM, it's called hype. What, like Infinity Ward is hurt *at all* by MW2 piracy? They've made over a billion dollars last I heard, and they didn't do it because their DRM was better than anyone else's.

I hope all Ubisoft games with this DRM get record numbers of pirates, lol.

I want crysis to be pc only. crysis is now multiplatform because economically game of that type can no longer be supported economcally on the pc. So I am all for developers trying to find a system such that games like crysis can be supported again soley by the pc market, without having to be comprimised by console development.

There's a difference between being able to sustain an economy on pc-exclusive development and being greedy. Crysis sold over a million copies, which is a considerable success on a single platform. Crytek bitched, however, that they couldn't sell 5 million copies, like Halo 3. Nevermind that Halo is an established franchise, THE game to get for the Xbox and had a multi-million dollar marketing campaign.

Relic, a mostly pc-exclusive dev (RTS games), stated in an interview (when questioned about PC exclusivity and piracy issues) that there IS money to be made on the PC platform, you just need to know what gamers want and reward your customers with free content. Gamers want good games that are worth their time and money. They don't want draconian DRM. Seems to be working out for Relic, Valve and Blizzard.

DRM in crysis warhead wasn't bad or didn't bother me. If you have a bad ISP, I could see this being an issue though.

Not sure where you got that idea from. What DRM deters is the piracy based for-profit gaming markets in other countries like Africa and China, as well as used game vendors.

Not sure where you got your idea from, Africa and China sell pirated crack copies with no DRM in them, so that is useless there, used games sales maybe but only recently with the limited activations and such, prior to that try to copy old securerom disks when only CD's were out, games like Delta Force 2, if you tried a cd 2 cd copy, it wouldn't work as they had fake files sizes, one was 2G if you copied it using normal software, that still happens today in other forms, why you need very specific software usually to copy a disk, why some forms of securerom disable or will not run when drive emulation software is running, they want it to be hard for the casual shopper to just toss in a disk and make a copy for a friend.

i cant recall which company it was but a few months back admitted what i just said, they said they know it would be beaten, but it stops the casual joe blow from pirating the software.

Anti-DRM botnets DDoS'ing Ubisoft's server in 5..4..3..
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Not sure where you got your idea from, Africa and China sell pirated crack copies with no DRM in them, so that is useless there, used games sales maybe but only recently with the limited activations and such, prior to that try to copy old securerom disks when only CD's were out, games like Delta Force 2, if you tried a cd 2 cd copy, it wouldn't work as they had fake files sizes, one was 2G if you copied it using normal software, that still happens today in other forms, why you need very specific software usually to copy a disk, why some forms of securerom disable or will not run when drive emulation software is running, they want it to be hard for the casual shopper to just toss in a disk and make a copy for a friend.

i cant recall which company it was but a few months back admitted what i just said, they said they know it would be beaten, but it stops the casual joe blow from pirating the software.

It's pretty insulting you're still focusing on cd check based DRM, which hasn't been relevant for years. You think they're constantly looking for new DRM schemes because of super-criminal "joe blow"? It has everything to do with attempting to stop the rampant piracy markets in other countries that don't have matching copyright laws.

I hope all Ubisoft games with this DRM get record numbers of pirates, lol.

And I hope that you get banned from this forum for advocating piracy, which is exactly what you're doing.

Hey, if you don't like what Ubisoft is doing, then don't buy the game.

Sorry, but this scheme of Ubisoft's doesn't give you the right to pirate their game. And don't tell me that you yourself weren't going to pirate the game. You've just advocated piracy. It's right there in your post.

Quoted for truth.

Back