Ubisoft donates 500,000 Euros / Assassin's Creed: Unity free for a week after Notre Dame fire

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by kirbyrj, Apr 17, 2019.

1. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

ChadD, flotz, Dayaks and 5 others like this.
  2. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

THat's nice of them.

I mean, It's a drop in the bucket, but every little bit helps.

3. theplaidfad

theplaidfad Lurker

Unpopular opinion: Don't donate anything to this cause. The catholic church has billions of dollars.

|-Goku-|, alxlwson, lRaphl and 9 others like this.
  4. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Right? I think they could afford to dip in to their coffers to pay for damages. I'm still on the fence to whether this was an "accident".

LightsOut41 likes this.
  5. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

Popular opinion: everyone I dislike is richer than they should be.

Fact.

spikeline, flotz, c3k and 2 others like this.
  6. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Religion should have been made obsolete long ago, but the buildings themselves are worth preserving because of the architecture not for the message.

GoodBoy, flotz, Darunion and 2 others like this.
  7. ryan_975

ryan_975 [H]ardForum Junkie

The building doesn't belong to the catholic church.

8. Zareek

Zareek Limp Gawd

Yes, unbelievably all the cathedrals in France are owned by the French state. In essence, Ubisoft has donated the funds to the French government. It's kind like someone donating land or money for a park, a religious park... Strange but it is an icon of France and is frequently considered to be a borderline world wonder.

N4CR likes this.
  9. TheCommander

TheCommander 2[H]4U

Nothing wrong with religion. Nothing wrong with atheism. Nothing wrong with agnosticism. Simple as that. Bigotry of any sort is never any good. Not saying you are a bigot though.

alxlwson and Silentbob343 like this.
  10. Hatriot

Hatriot Limp Gawd

The millennial edgelords have replaced the religion of god with the religion of the state. I say this as being an atheist longer than many on here have been alive. No bigger cult have I ever encountered than those born to serve government.

CrimsonKnight13 and Krenum like this.
  11. TheCommander

TheCommander 2[H]4U

And unfortunately the idea of big government is growing.

alxlwson likes this.
  12. Laowai

Laowai Gawd

Good.

I don't care if the French gov't owns the building. I don't care if the fire was intentional or not. I despise the Catholic church and don't believe in any god or gods.

That said, if there is any way to repair/reconstruct what was lost....we absolutely should do so and do so to the best of our collective abilities.

I'm glad Ubisoft did what they did and I will also be donating a considerably smaller 'drop in the bucket'.

13. TheOne&OnlyZeke

TheOne&OnlyZeke 100% Irish

This derailed fairly fast
    On the relogion thing...all ORGANIZED religion is a plague on humanity.
    Have all the beleifs you want....just forget about the organized stuff.

As for Ubisoft doing this....PR stunt of the highest order
    500k is nothing

Also found it amusing that Macron said it would be done in a few years.....experts coming out to say...."nooo it'll be decades"

14. SoFGR

SoFGR [H]ard|Gawd

thanks but no thanks :)

15. IndyColtsFan

IndyColtsFan Limp Gawd

The Cologne Cathedral was severely damaged in WW2. They’re still repairing that damage.

I think it will take two or three years just to stabilize the building and get a plan together. One of the experts said that France no longer has trees large enough to rebuild the roof structure as it was and he wasn’t even sure that Europe had enough trees of the necesssry size to rebuild it. So they’ll have to source those trees from elsewhere in the world or move to modern materials. I do hope that they take the opportunity to put modern fire suppression systems in place as much as possible during this reconstruction.

I’ve been to both the Cologne Cathedral and Notre Dame. They’ve done an outstanding job on restoring the Cologne Cathedral and I’m sure the same will be done for Notre Dame. Notre Dame was truly beautiful and I hope they restore it as it was or perhaps an earlier version rather than trying to make it look “modern.”

16. ryan_975

ryan_975 [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm sure that has something to do with the Olympics being in Paris for 2024.

17. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

it may take decades to completely finish it but they'll probably be able to re-open it in a few years. the windows are what will take the longest to re-create.

also any donation that's pushed out to the media from any company is always a publicity stunt, just like the crap companies pull using "we'll donate x% if you buy our product" scams. the sad part is i'd wager a bet the employee's are the one's that actually pushed for the donation though which is usually the case in things like this but will never get the credit for it.

18. c3k

c3k 2[H]4U

Nice gesture.

19. MixManSC

MixManSC ║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█ Staff Member

Lets keep it on topic here which is Ubisoft donating to the restoration of a historically significant building. This is a tech section for tech discussions.

Silentbob343 and kirbyrj like this.
  20. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis 2[H]4U

Meh, I’m an atheist and I disagree, from an architectural, cultural, and tourism standpoint it’s pretty important. Probably generates billions a year in tourism dollars.

I’d rather private industry fund this than tax dollars.

On the plus side, now I may finally play assassins creed unity.

21. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

Uplay actually feels like the least intrusive. I still but the games via steam and they work with no issues. Besides the initial login I don’t notice it’s there.

22. WorldExclusive

WorldExclusive [H]ardForum Junkie

Definitely an economy booster.

23. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

Ah that feeling when you really want to play another AC game, but aren't willing to download ubisofts shitty launcher to get it.

ChadD likes this.
  24. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

Already. Had the launcher and grabbed the free game. Never plaued this one so yay?

25. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

The Windsor Castle fire in 1992 is the closest comparable structure like this to have burned in modern times, and it only took 5 years for the restoration.

ChadD likes this.
  26. ChadD

ChadD 2[H]4U

I think the experts will find when you throw nearly unlimited resources at a thing, it gets done faster then anyone could predict.

I get that restoring old stuff takes time... still how often have projects to restore old things been handed all the people and cash they could ask for.

27. ChadD

ChadD 2[H]4U

I managed to get uplay running on Linux... hoping I can get ACU running without having to resort to a cracked exe. lol

28. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

Macron will probably commission a multi-cultural / multi-religious concil to design the restoration