Ubisoft cancels three more games, issues dire update

It is a dance, people adore sequel after sequel, they release over 400 movies a years in theatre, almost all of them original one and yet, the most popular every year will be almost all sequels:

Similar with games, if it is not a sequels doing well it will be something of a very well known format.

Would people get actually tired it will be over right away, it is strong market force that decided the sequel model, would we have not get excited for the new Unreal Tournament and Half-Life2, it would have never caught up and studio would have happily never made them and expressed new idea.

Will see with GTA 6 and the next ElderScrolls sales numbers if people are really tired of sequels, I have doubt, but with Top Gun-Avatar numbers it is certainly not the case with movies or TV Shows, season 2-3-4, prequels-sequels are extremely populars.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I haven't seen any of those and don't plan on seeing any of them.

Nah, just see too many pirates on H :). My bad since you don't sound like one.
You know, I personally don't play games that I don't legitimately purchase but some of the not-so-great developers out there that over-enforce copyright law are making it increasingly hard for me to remain totally enraged towards those that do. For example, I have backed up my retro game library out of necessity since the original discs and carts they are stored on are failing and are too expensive to replace. I believe that I have a moral (and likely even legal) right to do this. That being said, Nintendo would like to lump me into the same category as all so-called pirates:

https://en-americas-support.nintend...888/~/intellectual-property-&-piracy-faq#s2q7

As I mentioned above, I don't play Ubisoft games for my own reasons, but even if I did it would be a major issue for me to have to accept DRM on my computer. Developers that are over-enforcing are making the entire gaming landscape toxic by presupposing that average gamers are bad people. We're not and I don't believe that all people that download illegally are bad either: it would be much better and more effective to use the carrot with those people than the stick in my view. I would much rather see illegal downloading stomped out by having more amazing Steam sales and offering extremely accessible and convenient gaming platforms and less obsession over taking control of people's computers or throwing cease & desist orders at every blade of grass. I would like to devote more of my financial support to developers that are aligned with the former approach and less to those that take the latter.

Can't say I'm particularly concerned about the cancelling of additional games by Ubisoft. I couldn't tell you the last time I played an Ubisoft game. It was probably the original Far Cry. If this company goes under it's not likely to have much effect on me.

That said, I wouldn't mind trying out AC: Origins and maybe Odyssey but that has more to do with the locations and time periods the games are set in. I've never really looked into the AC games but it's my guess they started out as sneak and stealth games which have no appeal to me. Origins and Odyssey don't fit that template so they are at least mildly interesting. However, unless I can get the games on Steam and at a huuuuuge discount from the regular price on the top end versions it's not going to happen.

[...] We're just discussing the "whys", but if you can't acknowledge there is a problem, you can't really discuss the whys.
Oh, I acknowledge there are problems, some of their games are too derivative, and their delivery is spotty sometimes to name a few. Didn't mention there were no problems. Just that some of the reactions seemed to be a pure "I don't like their games so it's good they're dying" kind of deal, which to me seems unnecessary at best.
Other than that was just sharing my 2 cents on enjoying some of their games.

Incoming Unpopular Opinion:

UBISOFT games are honestly the only games I play..and I have no idea how it turned out that way, but it did...I realized..."holy smokes, 90% of the stuff I have installed is Ubisoft...and its generational.... I think its because once I get into the "vibe" of a game, because the 2nd post in this thread is 1000% true, they literally make the same game and the games tend to go on forevverrrrrrrr. Want to navigate a world and murder dudes with blades? Pick an AC game. Want to do it with guns? Ghost Recon. Want to make it more like an RPG? The two Division games scratch your itch. Want to have Ghost Recon but have a really *terrible* story added and make it entirely first person? Far Cry!

If you have played one Ubisoft game you've played them all.

But I fully admit I'm part of the UBISOFT problem, because I haven't paid more than $14.99 for any Ubisoft title in probably 10+ years.......I'm the gamer who waits. I don't need to buy the new AC game because I haven't played the last AC game and its $15 bucks, I'm still probably working through mission 1853 from the AC game that came out before THAT. Once I get into a game I will wind up going through all the special missions, trying to find the special sword/gun/whatever, so I do get my monies worth out of what Ubisoft serves up but I usually take my time doing it....took me a year to burn through Origins and I still have DLC that needs playing......never started Odyssey and still haven't purchased the viking one, mostly out of disinterest on that last one however....

Far Cry 6 is the only Ubisoft game in recent memory that I found literally *unplayable*. The story sucks but worse the gunplay is abyssmal.....nothing like having a first person shooter where it takes an entire clip to bring a guy in a t-shirt with an AK down, even worse is when bad guys keep spamming in constantly so you can never enjoy the moment......I wasted $14.99 :)

But I let others dive in at $59.99 because they are impatient.................like if I paid $60 for Breakpoint I'd have gone insane. But I didn't...I waited for them to fix it, bought it a year later for (yep) $14.99 and it's had a couple free updates for content and they fixed their "Let's make it sorta like the Division Ish!" messup with the level system, turning it back into "WIldlands II"...and Wildlands is a great 3rd person murder simulator (let's be honest)............and I wound up playing through Breakpoint just like Wildlands, and 2000 hours later finally ran out of content...except I didn't, I didn't even touch any of the 2nd campaign and still haven't got the DLC stuff..........so why would I buy a new Ghost Recon game when I still have 40 hours of content left in the old games, etc.

Where am I going with this: Nowhere, it's the internet, it doesn't need to have a purpose.

Ubisoft is running out of ideas for games that cost $60.......but they have plenty of great ones at $19.99 or below, perhaps. :)

Currently Installed: Breakpoint (lots of stuff left, main mission complete, but not motivated to keep playing currently). AC: Odyssey + all DLC ($14.99!)...haven't even started it, which means I haven't even bothered buying Valhalla yet which is also in the $14.99 range now........Division 2 is what I am Soloing right now....World Tier 5.....just something to do and those graphics, Yo............etc, etc. OH YEAH! GRID: LEGENDS.....great fun with a wheel, really pretty graphics...waiting for Forza Motorsport 8 and needed something cheap with the wheel....wait for it...$14.99.......I'm like a broken record....

Last edited:
lol, Their games have come up in the beta test group in im and i always decline when it asks what my ubisoft creds are.

CEO Yves Guillemot placed blame on the current macroeconomic conditions for the revised estimations on economic performance for the rest of the fiscal year, and suggests that other big game publishers will need to face the same reality.
Clearly, this has nothing at all to do with consumers getting tired of paying $70 for a steaming pile of betaware that wasn’t going to be fun to play even if not for the embarrassing litany of bugs.

“We specialize in selling digital excrement and consumers are beginning to say they’ve eaten enough.”

Can't say I'm particularly concerned about the cancelling of additional games by Ubisoft. I couldn't tell you the last time I played an Ubisoft game. It was probably the original Far Cry. If this company goes under it's not likely to have much effect on me.

That said, I wouldn't mind trying out AC: Origins and maybe Odyssey but that has more to do with the locations and time periods the games are set in. I've never really looked into the AC games but it's my guess they started out as sneak and stealth games which have no appeal to me. Origins and Odyssey don't fit that template so they are at least mildly interesting. However, unless I can get the games on Steam and at a huuuuuge discount from the regular price on the top end versions it's not going to happen.
The first Far Cry made by Ubisoft was Far Cry 2. The original was made by Crytek.

The first Far Cry made by Ubisoft was Far Cry 2. The original was made by Crytek.

And just to add to this, am I crazy or was Far Cry 2 considered bad? I remember the first being a considered classic and then general disappointment about Far Cry 2 before 3 revitalized the franchise. Then again it was 15 years ago so maybe I'm misremembering...

Maybe I'm just weird, but I haven't seen any of those and don't plan on seeing any of them.
If you have not seen many 2022 release (i.e. if you simply do not watch even just 12 new movies a year) you are not weird at all, if you watched more than 12 new 2022 movies in theater but 0 franchise-sequel, I would imagine that make you in a very small minority yes.

Same for video games:
The best-selling games of 2022 in the USA, UK and Japan
  • FIFA 23.
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.
  • Pokemon Legends Arceus.
  • Horizon: Forbidden West.
  • Pokemon Scarlet & Violet.
  • LEGO Star Wars: Skywalker Saga.
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
  • God of War: Ragnarok

If I am not mistaken almost all the best selling games of 2022 were sequels, i.e or for all that matter exactly that by how close it is to previous title a la Elden Ring.

People are tired of Ubisoft sequels is different of people not getting excited for the last God of War, Dark Soul like or Grand Theft Auto one

And just to add to this, am I crazy or was Far Cry 2 considered bad? I remember the first being a considered classic and then general disappointment about Far Cry 2 before 3 revitalized the franchise. Then again it was 15 years ago so maybe I'm misremembering...
I loved the first FC and thought FC2 was mediocre at best. As Armenius said they're not made by the same people. Crysis was the next game by Crytek I believe.

I'll add that I'm in the anti-ubisoft camp. They really soured on me with their awful DRM and making RB6: Ravenshield a chore to play online.

When it came out I remember it being heavily criticized for the malaria mechanic, but other than that the gameplay was solid? I remember enjoying it. The original game really falls apart in the second half, and the section of the game at the end was just stupid. People who consider it a classic are probably just recalling the initial gameplay slice in the first hour or two.

When it came out I remember it being heavily criticized for the malaria mechanic, but other than that the gameplay was solid? I remember enjoying it. The original game really falls apart in the second half, and the section of the game at the end was just stupid. People who consider it a classic are probably just recalling the initial gameplay slice in the first hour or two.
I liked Far Cry 2, but if I could sum it up in one word what other peeps thought of the game at the time, I would say monotonous.

People in general liked Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 3 made by Ubi - Far Cry 4 was where people were starting to be like "ok we get it"

I don’t know if it’s been said earlier but chances are those cancellations were Stadia exclusives and mobile titles. I recall a while back that they were tasked with bringing something unique to the Stadia platform, and the earnings report where they mention the cancellations spends a lot of time talking about reduced consumer spending in mobile titles and on cash store skins as a reason for their decisions.

So hopefully nothing of value was lost.

I hate how its like complete freedom to approach something however you want, but unless its a plot thing. Like go to this church that you know the badguy is inside and is probably going to ambush you. I would like to shoot him from the window or just burn the building down. But instead I am forced to walk in the front door with my guard down and not looking around or checking corners, or even having my weapon drawn etc etc. It pulls me out when they make your character do things you wouldn't do.

Where is the hypersonic Nuke option? Games need to evolve per modern day Putin scenario.

I hate how its like complete freedom to approach something however you want, but unless its a plot thing. Like go to this church that you know the badguy is inside and is probably going to ambush you. I would like to shoot him from the window or just burn the building down. But instead I am forced to walk in the front door with my guard down and not looking around or checking corners, or even having my weapon drawn etc etc. It pulls me out when they make your character do things you wouldn't do.
Ghost Recon Breakpoint actually avoided that to a large degree. You don't know where the main bad guy is most of the time but one of the primarily antagonists can be killed right in the beginning and the game even accounts for this by changing the cut scenes he's supposed to be in with alternative versions of them. That character's story is also primarily told via flashbacks anyway, precluding his need to be alive for story reasons.

Loved the first. I thought the 2nd one sucked. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: horse
like this
Never liked any of them. Even the first Far Cry.

I bought the game to play around with the map editor though to try to make Jurassic Park lol 👌

No, wait I like Blood Dragon.

Loved the first. I thought the 2nd one sucked. Just my 2 cents.
I agree completely. I thought the 2nd Far Cry was a pile of dogshit. Overly repetitive and I hated the narrative direction of the story. Crysis is much closer to Far Cry than Far Cry 2 was. You just swap the Hawaiin shirt out for the nanosuit and give the main character some super powers and basically its similar in both game play and narrative feel. Far Cry 2 was this weird open world game that suffered from all the problems common to open world games and did so in spades.

I agree completely. I thought the 2nd Far Cry was a pile of dogshit. Overly repetitive and I hated the narrative direction of the story. Crysis is much closer to Far Cry than Far Cry 2 was. You just swap the Hawaiin shirt out for the nanosuit and give the main character some super powers and basically its similar in both game play and narrative feel. Far Cry 2 was this weird open world game that suffered from all the problems common to open world games and did so in spades.
Agreeing with the h8ters....Far Cry was a legendary game......but Far Cry 2, other than being Open World, was the first game that showed us Open World gaming could be a dull, lifeless grind full of repetitive gunplay that never felt satisfying. Then you add in random wild animal encounters every 30 seconds you're off the roads, or random NPC bad guys in jeeps encounters every 30 seconds you are ON the road.....clear a checkpoint, walk 10 feet, turn around and it's repopulated...that kind of nonsense...and it just gets grindy AF in no time flat........

Best Far Cry is easily FAR CRY PRIMAL, it's just SO Weird! :)

Reactions: horse
like this

I started playing the franchise WAY after release when my Steam backlog briefly ran dry in ~2019 and I needed something new to play.

I remembered the name Fat Cry, but I had never really played or paid any attention to the franchise before.

Not knowing that the games were disconnected from each other I played them in order, starting with the first, which I found nearly unplayable, boring, and mostly linear shooter, and "ick-worthy" voice acting but I forced myself to finish it.

Then moved on to Far Cry 2 and was really impressed. It was over a decade old then, yet still felt pretty fresh and playable (but maybe that was just in comparison to the first Far Cry which while it may have been graphically amazing in 2008, did not age well at all.

Far Cry 2 felt modern, both in open world game play, and in appearance and was really quite good.

Far Cry 3 was better, possibly the best of the series, but Far Cry 4 is really good too (though they are nearly identical copy and pastes into different geographical regions. The villain in 4 - while a somewhat odd choice for the geographical region - was well developed.

I had fun with Far Cry Primal, but it wasn't as good as the previous two. By the time I got Far Cry 5, it was really starting to feel very repetitive. It was still well made, and had a good story and environment feel which helped carry it. The cult was well developed and interesting.

New Dawn was a complete waste of my time and money, but I forced myself to finish it because I am stubborn.

I had some fun with Far Cry 6, but it still felt dumbed down somehow. I didn't like the stupid backpacks, improvised weaponry, and the fact that I was forced into 3rd person view in camps. It also felt WAY too easy, even at the hardest setting. The whole experience felt more like a mobile game, than the previous installments, and I hate mobile games. Giancarlo Esposito was brilliant as the villain though, so that was one of its redeeming qualities.

Ghost Recon Breakpoint actually avoided that to a large degree. You don't know where the main bad guy is most of the time but one of the primarily antagonists can be killed right in the beginning and the game even accounts for this by changing the cut scenes he's supposed to be in with alternative versions of them. That character's story is also primarily told via flashbacks anyway, precluding his need to be alive for story reasons.
I havent tried that one yet but I might give that a go. That sounds a lot like what I would enjoy, thanks!

I mean... they could try not making the same game over and over. Seriously, the make one game. You run around and explore, climb up tall things to unlock the map, find lots and lots of random collectables, and murder dudes and critters. If you want to do it in a historical setting with blades, it is Assassin's Creed, if you want to do it in a modernish setting with guns it is Far Cry and if you want to do it in a Cyberpunk setting with cellphones it is Watch Dogs. Perhaps people are getting a little tired of that?

I've never been a fan of their games, but even people who I know who are fans seem to get burnt out. My girlfriend wanted to play Assassin's Creed Valhalla and had fun for a bit but got tired of the repetitive grind and the fact that it really didn't feel like anything interesting, just a new Viking style coat of paint.

They have to be one of the least creative studios I've seen, yet they pour TONS of money in to these games.
Bingo... same crap, different skin.....

Ubisoft could cancel all of their games and I wouldn't care. Their games are cookie cutter and derivative. Just as soulless as the company that makes them. Even worse, for the last decade their games became incredibly story-focused and completely filled with moronic propaganda. I get the impression Ubisoft really hates America and everything it was founded on. That shouldn't be a theme in games, at least not if you want to appeal to Americans who aren't self-hating.

I swore a permanent boycott of Ubisoft back in 1999 when I made the egregious mistake of buying Tonic Trouble on N64 when I was a child on the recommendation of a Nintendo Power endorsement that was clearly paid for. That game nearly killed the joy I had for video games. I am not joking, for the first time in my young life I felt depressed for weeks after I bought this game (who wouldn't when as a kid you can afford to buy maybe three games a year and you paid the full price of an N64 game for a game that was this bad). I basically had to force myself to play it and pretended to enjoy it because otherwise I had to admit to everybody that I was scammed. I cannot understate how bad it was, I knew elementary kids that made better games than this in a week-long game design summer camp:
You just summed up the 1982-1983 video game crash in just this.

Almost every game released by that time, were becoming crappy games released for too much money.

The famously much-loathed E.T. game cartridge cost (MSRP $34.95) is more than $70 after inflation adjustment, as a 1982 dollar is worth about $3 today.

People like you were disappointed by the millions, after the fantastic advertisement campaigns that made it seem better than sliced bread. The unsold cartridges famously went to the landfill, being the epicenter of the video game crash of 1982.

Even "good" games like Donkey Kong for Atari 2600 was still dissapointing because it didn't have the elevator level or pie level.

Consumer dissapointment at overpriced tepid fare. This saga still continues today. Instead, people have peer pressure of everybody wanting you to play a crappy game. These current games will hitherto stay unmentioned, but y'all get the gist.

I'm very glad for Steam Sales, but not too glad for, em, subscriptions (a 13-letter word!). Or super glad about subscriptions avoiding the $70 capital outlay (blasphemy) but IAP's are now a bit too nickel-and-diming like a Homer Simpson infinite donut feeder.

Last edited:
I intentionally skipped that one as it looked kind of shitty.

Are you telling me it was actually worthwhile?
It's honestly the best far cry game.

I played the fuck out of it, though the aesthetic is pretty routine now, it was one of if not the first games to put a heavy emphasis on 80's camp nostalgia.

Playing it for the first time today its art and theme would seem formulaic and uninspired: 8-bit inspired cutscenes, synthwave soundtrack, neon art design and 80's action star voice acting... But only because so many indie and later multi-A games copied the idea. Blood Dragon was the pioneer.

Ubisoft spent a ton of money on a battle royal asset flip of Ghost Recon Breakpoint which led to such a backlash that the game ended up being cancelled outright before it wasted even more money. Assassin's Creed makes money, but there may be some franchise fatigue there. I don't know. I don't play those games.

I forgot about that. Maybe they could have tried a BF2/3/4 knock off.

Reminds me of the Rainbow 6 Vegas sequel that was cancelled in favor of Siege.

Incoming Unpopular Opinion:

UBISOFT games are honestly the only games I play..and I have no idea how it turned out that way, but it did
This, for all the hate ubisoft gets I still liked most of their recent games to various degrees. The only game of theirs I outright hated that I tried was the division and far cry new dawn.
I enjoyed Far Cry 5, 6, Ghost Recon Wildlands and Breakpoint (after they fixed the issues they created), AC Odyssey, Valhalla.

Also Splinter Cell was one of my favorite series while they still made them. Can't believe the last entry will be 10 years old soon.
I think there was a big divide. There were people who hated Far Cry 2, including me, but some hailed it as the next coming for some reason.

FarCry 2 made me never touch the series again, I read that FarCry 6 was called "Communist woke simulator".
I did enjoy the original farCry, but that was not a UbiSoft game per say.

The first Assasins Creed had novel ideas, the follow up made me never tocuh that series again.

The first Watch dog was okay'ish but a far cry from what was promised...so I never touched the series again.
Been years since I acquired a Ubisoft games and wih the content they provide I doubt I ever will buy a UbiSoft game again.

You can only milk a franchie for so much until only the "ADHD fans" remains as customers...and they do not constitute a sufficient base for a viable business plan.

Back