Ubisoft Betting on VR Gaming

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Ubisoft (everyone's favorite gaming publisher) is not quite doubling down, but investing more money to push some of its triple A titles into the VR realm. That is a very good thing in our opinion. It's huge I tell ya...

But all in all we feel it’s important for us to learn and to try to understand what we can do in terms of creation. What are the limits of [VR] and what will the fans enjoy and want and prefer? So we have to invest, not massive amounts of money yet, but on certain franchises and to build new franchises and new gameplay so that we’re ready when this market will explode and we believe it will explode at some point.

I have my reservations about Ubisoft, as do many here, but this is a smart move.

Who isn't?

Its a huge sell on all the new gen cards, AMD and Nvidia advertise improvement for VR...its no wonder they go along, let us know their part of "IT". I hope it leads to cheaper and better VR so I can afford to try it,buy it, use it?!

After spending some time with the HTC Vive, I was absolutely impressed. Prior to the Vive, I've used a few Oculus dev kits and the Samsung Gear VR. The Vive is on a different plane than these devices.
However, you quickly go through the tech demos. VR needs A titles. Otherwise, it's just an awesome demo player.

This is good news, its obvious that many devs are not sure what path VR will take them down, but I hope more jump on the VR train.
My 7950 died :( so i have been playing with my S7edge GVR and i have to say, its amazing. Not a ton of content yet, but there are some great games. And the Netflix app is awesome. My new build will be bult around VR, so im thinking a 480/zen combo will fit my budget. But im torn on what platform? The Oculus store and support is really great. My GVR just works, and i like that. But i have read that the Vive has better hardware, but steam VR is not as polished as Oculus.

awesome to hear, while I'm not a ubi fan we need the big developers to push VR or it will fade off. If the big developers aren't willing to back it then no one else will be either in the long run.

Back