Ubiquiti US-48-500W vs ES-48-500W anyone know the difference?

BigBadAl

Limp Gawd
Other than the colour, does anyone know what the differences are between these two switches?

Or in fact the US-24-250W and the ES-24-250W

Is one L3 and the other L2?

I've even downloaded the 2 respective datasheets and unless I can't see the wood for the trees I can't see any obvious differences...

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Other than the colour, does anyone know what the differences are between these two switches?

Or in fact the US-24-250W and the ES-24-250W

Is one L3 and the other L2?

I've even downloaded the 2 respective datasheets and unless I can't see the wood for the trees I can't see any obvious differences...

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

The US-24-250W is a "UniFi Switch", the ES-24-250W is an "EdgeSwitch". The hardware in them is basically the same, but the UniFi switch has no local management interface. It's designed to be "adopted" into a UniFi controller (which provides the web UI and management interface), just like their APs.

The UniFi Switch and UniFi Security Gateway are a sort of Software Defined Networking option from Ubiquiti.

EDIT: It looks like the UniFi switch does have a console port on it, so you do have that as a local management interface. I don't think its recommended to use that for normal operations though, its more of a recovery option.

Ahhh, right, thanks.

So would this Unifi Controller be the same controller that they use to manage the AP's or would it be another one?

Now I know what the cloud controller subscription was on the check out page....

Ahhh, right, thanks.

So would this Unifi Controller be the same controller that they use to manage the AP's or would it be another one?

Now I know what the cloud controller subscription was on the check out page....

The old UniFi controller does APs only. Starting in UniFi Version 4.6.0 it supports the APs, IP Phones, Switches, and Router all in one controller.

What vendor was trying to sell you on a cloud controller? The controller software runs on Mac/Windows/Linux/AWS and is provided for free. With the APs, you don't even need the software to be running after you have pushed all the settings to the APs. I'm not sure if the switches are the same way, but I imagine they are.

If you only need one switch, and don't have the Security Gateway, the EdgeSwitch is probably the best option.

Sorry to resurrect this but I have another question...

Is the edgeswitch capable of selecting 24v or 48v on a per port basis?

is this what the 802.3af/at standard is? Not that well versed with POE TBH

Can it turn POE off on any given port as well?

I have UAP-Pro's (48V), a UAP-LR (24V) and a handful of Aircams (24V)

Thanks

**Scratch that, found it... it will**

have a good day

Last edited:
Back