Ubiquiti Unifi US-24-250W POE switch - quieter fan swap

MinPins

Limp Gawd
I just recently added a Unifi US-24-250W POE switch to my home network. It is an excellent piece of kit, but the stock cooling fans are quite noisy and the sound really bothered me. So I purchased 4 Noctua NF-A4x20 FLX 12V fans and swapped them into my switch.

Before and after dB readings are included to show how effective the swap was.
I used a RadioShack 33-2055 A Sound Level Meter for the readings set at 60, response set at Fast and then Slow, and Weighting set at A and then C. dB readings did not change with the various settings.

US-24-250W%20%20POE%20switch_resize.jpg

Prior to the fan swap I was getting a reading of 59dB with the meter placed on top of the switch (with a soft cloth between it and the switch so vibrations would not affect readings). There was no load on the switch, it had been running for about 4 hours. No other devices in the room were creating sound.

Before%20Swap%203_resize.jpg

With the meter placed 3 inches above the exhaust ports (where the stock fans are mounted) I got a reading of 64dB.

Before%20Swap%201_resize.jpg

Before%20Swap%202_resize.jpg

This device comes with just 2 cooling fans, but there are 4 fan headers on the PCB so I decided to make use of all of them.

Stock%20fan%20B4%201_resize.jpg

Stock%20fan%20B4%203_resize.jpg

Stock fans

Stock%20fan%20B4%202_resize.jpg

After removing the 2 stock fans and installing the 4 Noctua fans, I am unable to get a reading on my sound meter. It reads "LO" on the top of the unit, and also above both the exhaust and intake ports. With the cover off and all 4 fans operating I still get a reading of "LO" with the meter centered over the open switch. Personally I found the audible level to be very diminished,not bothersome whatsoever.

After

After%20Swap%203_resize.jpg

Exhaust port

After%20Swap%202.jpg

With 4 fans running and cover off

After%20Swap%201_resize.jpg

I hope you find this helpful, I highly recommend this mod if you have this switch.
Thanks.

Was there room for 4 fans or did you need to hack the other 2 fans in?

No, the other 2 ports and fan headers were already there. I had to ream out the 4 fan mounting holes a little, the Noctua fan screws are a little larger than stock ones.

I love what you did. Noctua all the way. I insist on them for any PC build that...matters...

Did you make use of the lower voltage cables included with the fans or are you letting the switch manage the fans speeds, allowing them to reach the max 5,000 RPM?

No. The PCB has a fan controller built into it. I did not use the included resistor cables.

I also just got a USG Pro 4,
Thanks. I intend to perform the exact same mod, except I will also have to do it to a US-16-150W and a USG-Pro4 too, as they are all right next to each other. What a racket...
I also just bought the USG Pro 4, it's stock fans are even louder than the switch, a high pitched whine. I ordered Noctuas for it.

I did the same for my 500w 24port unifi. No issues with heat either (running 5APs in POE mode and getting ready to add a dozen cameras or so).

Back