Ubiquiti Networks ER-X EdgeRouter X for $39.99 w/ Free Shipping @ B&H

Nice unit, and pairs well with the Ubiquiti LR AP. You can do 24V passthrough (Ubiquiti proprietary POE) with this unit so 1 power brick can run both the ER-X and the AP AC Lite. I'll second beyonddc you better know networking if you want to use one of these. the interface was not intuitive at all, and this is a full blown firewall, not a Soho device. Each of the ports are separate interfaces so you'll want to pair this with a (managed) switch for handling network devices as there are limitations when trying to bridge multiple ports together. (It requires more cpu overhead so speeds aren't as fast as a switch would be on the same vlan. I'm guessing the overhead would be the same as a router passing traffic between vlans)

If you're in the market for a small, cheap, and capable firewall this is definitely fun to play with. I could see a SMB with 10 - 20 devices using something like this as you have tons of flexibility. You can put in rules per port, and/or per vlan.

In for one, always wanted to play with one of these. Might replace my Asus units with this and a couple APs eventually.

I'd highly suggest picked up a least an 8 port managed switch to go with it. If you're getting one of these you definitely want to configure VLANs so you can firewall off your guest network from your LAN, and possible separate IoT or media devices from other stuff as well.

I bought one of these back in May and it had an up-time of over six months. I had to troubleshoot my internet and ended up unplugging it three weeks ago or it would still be going. That was through several short power outages too. I'm not sure if the thing has a supercap in it or what. Very reliable unit for sure. Sharp learning curve for a novice like me, but lots of fun getting to know it.

How would this device compare to PfSense as far as features? Is this device as just as powerful?

How would this device compare to PfSense as far as features? Is this device as just as powerful?

Powerful? That depends on the HW you get for the PfSense build. As for features and ability, PfSense will probably win, however for the price of this device you might be able to afford a good network card for the PfSense build, so unless you already have all the parts, this will be leaps and bounds cheaper and just works and has support. You might run into some bottle necks if you are running VPN/encryption, depending on speeds needed, I went PfSense because I have 1Gbps/1Gbps however most people don't do anything like this and the ER-X will be well more than enough.

I believe the er-x will 1gb . The router has a web interface but it is not very intuitive. You can use command line to do some powerful stuff and there are plenty of tutorials on how to use it.

Back