Ubiquiti Networking gear?

GT98

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently have a Cisco SG300 28 Port Switch I'm using for my home network. Haven't had any major issues with it but the EOL is in about two years.

I've been using a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter and a uniFi WAP on my network and I've been really happy with them, so I was thinking about replacing the Cisco switch with a Ubiquiti one-anyone have any input or gotchas with using them in a home environment?

Why replace the cisco if it is working? It's an internal switch with no exposure to the internet . If it's working as desired why mess with it? Are you looking for new features the current switch does not support?

Ubnt's switches and APs are fine, but their routers really suck. You'll also need a CloudKey or spin up a VM for their Unifi software to admin it all, they *might* have an app for this but I've never used it.

I'm not replacing it right away....and if I don't practice what I preach at my job (Life cycle support/cybersecurity-replace your damn equipment regularly) that makes me bit two faced.

Plus $250 for a new switch isn't that expensive.

Ubnt's switches and APs are fine, but their routers really suck. You'll also need a CloudKey or spin up a VM for their Unifi software to admin it all, they *might* have an app for this but I've never used it.

I've generally had good luck with my EdgeRouter from them....not sure what your saying.

Upgrading network gear just for the sake of upgrading seems kinda odd. Why upgrade unless there's a compelling reason to (e.g., 2.5/5/10 Gb support, PoE, etc.)?

I doubt a new EdgeSwitch is going to have any useful software features the Cisco doesn't already have. The Unifi switches are kinda nice in that they use the same admin interface as the APs, but AFAIK that also limits them somewhat.

Yeah I kinda mis-spoke, the Unifi Gateway stuff is really horrible from the software side, like really horrible.

This is not true. I ran a USG for several years with no issues at all, whatsoever. When I got a faster connection, I upgraded to a USG-Pro. It runs my entire home network, as well as entry into my house(Access), and 11 cameras (Protect) with no issues.
If you want to do the entirety of your admin via GUI, then yeah, maybe Unifi isn't for you. But Unifi gives you most of what you need via GUI and literally EVERYTHING else is available via SSH.

Nah, you can run the management from within your regular Windows install. It doesn't have to run 24/7 for your network to run. It's a monitor/configurator. Once your send out your commands, if you have no need to monitor, you can uninstall it.
I will say, it's pretty dang sweet though. Before my USG Pro, I had a USG with a CC, and it's so nice to be able to check on stuff when the wife callse and says something isn't working right. Same goes for the parents- I have a USG Pro installed at their home as well along with their mesh network, cameras, etc...

All you Linux fanbois out there running your mouth about Unify, but talk shit when someone doesn't want open a terminal to play Solitaire.

Let's not forget that you are now required to create a cloud-based account for some of Ubiquiti products and I think their Pro versions of UniFi Dream Machine series do not have an option to disable remote management. I think you can disable it with Pi-Hole/AdGuard Home by black-holding Remote Management domains.

Let's not forget that you are now required to create a cloud-based account for some of Ubiquiti products and I think their Pro versions of UniFi Dream Machine series do not have an option to disable remote management. I think you can disable it with Pi-Hole/AdGuard Home by black-holding Remote Management domains.

And their cloud was recently hacked, to which they've so far refused to detail just how bad it was.

And it appears they might be slowly removing the ability to roll your own hardware, at least so with Unifi Protect.

I aw a bunch of people on homelabsales dump Ubiquiti gear in droves right after the hack--no one there trusts them anymore and those guys have some serious network setups.

Just FYI, UniFi Dream Machine (non-Pro) got proper WPA3 support today. It was also added months ago, but was 100% broken. The one released today worked like a charm. To get it, you need to enter SSH, run the following commands, delete all SSID's, reboot the router, and re-create them with WPA3 support where wanted:
ubnt-upgrade https://fw-download.ubnt.com/data/udm/ad24-udm-1.11.0-14-b72176d6bed9483fbbe3c815c96d6924.bin

unifi-os shell
rm /tmp/unifi_sysvinit_all.deb &> /dev/null; curl -o "/tmp/unifi_sysvinit_all.deb" https://dl.ui.com/unifi/6.4.52-25b73d69e0/unifi_sysvinit_all.deb && dpkg -i /tmp/unifi_sysvinit_all.deb && rm /tmp/unifi_sysvinit_all.deb

Back