Ubiquiti for home network a good idea?

magictoaster

Limp Gawd
I would like to try setting my home WiFi using Ubiquiti equipment. I know it will be more complicated (maybe not that much depending on what equipment I'm getting) that using a basic wireless routers, but I would like to try it just for the hell of it.

I was thinking of starting with a TOUGHSwitch PoE and two UniFi AP Pro (and maybe a 1U Tough Switch Rack System). This would be connected to a Sagemcom f@st 2864 (I'm with Bell FIBE (FTTH)).

Anything specific I should be looking for?

Why a tough switch for only two POE APs? A bit of a waste if you ask me. For two APs save yourself the 200 and put it towards a decent managed switch. Not to say the tough switches aren't decent, but this isn't the use case they are really meant for. They are decent switches for what they are though.

Just my opinion though.

Why a tough switch for only two POE APs? A bit of a waste if you ask me. For two APs save yourself the 200 and put it towards a decent managed switch. Not to say the tough switches aren't decent, but this isn't the use case they are really meant for. They are decent switches for what they are though.

Just my opinion though.

It was mostly to avoid running a power cable and using the included PoE Adapter but I guess I would make more sens using the adapter and connecting the AP my existing switch.

Last edited:
you do realize that these come with POE injectors that can be mounted next to a switch.

I'm planning to use them at home for the multiple SSID/VLAN support. I think I could probably get a router running DD-WRT or OpenWRT to do the same thing, but I don't know how reliable it is.
Just in case you look at the AC model as well, it's been having issues with overheating. So I'd wait till that's sorted til buying one.

I'm planning to use them at home for the multiple SSID/VLAN support. I think I could probably get a router running DD-WRT or OpenWRT to do the same thing, but I don't know how reliable it is.
Just in case you look at the AC model as well, it's been having issues with overheating. So I'd wait till that's sorted til buying one.

The old UBiquities had issues the new ones not so much. I have about 20 ubiqs with POE injectors and they are stable.

Back