Ubiquiti equipment

They are pretty popular, with the caveat of needing an outside application to configure their standalone wireless access points. In the wired segment, their most direct competitor is probably Mikrotik. Ubiquiti seems to have a pretty strong fanbase.

I have an Edgerouter X SFP and an AC LR accesspoint. It does okay so far, with a bit more uptime stability (vs my dual ASUS RT AC68U setup), especially around the wee hours of the night. My old ASUS RT AC68Us used to get somewhat picky about working around then.

After Ubiquiti's little usage snooping feature (relating to Access Point usage) that was undisclosed and not disableable (without downgrading firmware), I've started looking elsewhere. All of them are probably pretty bad in terms of actual security and privacy, but Ubiquiti was sloppy enough to be caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

They are also starting to tie their apps to Ubnt hardware only. This hasn't yet reached Unifi, but their camera systems on Protect v4 are Ubnt hardware only.

This is a show stopper for me.

After Ubiquiti's little usage snooping feature (relating to Access Point usage) that was undisclosed and not disableable (without downgrading firmware), I've started looking elsewhere. All of them are probably pretty bad in terms of actual security and privacy, but Ubiquiti was sloppy enough to be caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Moar details plz :)

Moar details plz :)

TLDW: They are sending some sort of encrypted data back home. Supposedly it is crash reports but I dont think anyone knows for sure. There is no opt in / opt out, you just have to blacklist the DNS request which they have stated is fine.

Ubiquity has also said they will add an opt out button on the next firmware release as well. I think I am a few revisions behind on my firmware right now.

Ubiquity has also said they will add an opt out button on the next firmware release as well. I think I am a few revisions behind on my firmware right now.

Depending on the device, that's almost a requirement for UBNT!

Mine has been very reliable (router/AP), but it's not the fastest and I always have to research before updating my ERL to prevent bricking it.

Mine has been very reliable (router/AP)
Moved apartments, verified internet access direct through the modem, and then added in the network stack and everything just works.

but it's not the fastest and I always have to research before updating my ERL to prevent bricking it.
May have not been available when you purchased - this is one of the main reasons I stretched for the ER-4. UBNT has since released versions with the same hardware as in the ER-4, but also with proper switch ports that could simplify things for some.

May have not been available when you purchased - this is one of the main reasons I stretched for the ER-4. UBNT has since released versions with the same hardware as in the ER-4, but also with proper switch ports that could simplify things for some.

I've been looking at the 4, if I stay with UBNT it will most likely be the next one I pick up. I've had my ERL for ages now, mine was like the first series when they changed over from the plastic to metal case, WAN was still eth1, and the wizards were in their infancy LOL. I'm actually amazed mine has stayed together, considering so many USB and power supply issues people have had.

Currently manage 500+ of their devices. No issues here. Super easy to manage with either a CK or dedicated VM for controller. I run their gear at home as well with a decent sized lab. Only downtime is for firmware updates. I also personally have never had an issue with updates (at home or professionally). There just isn't anything else in this price/performance circle.

As for the data they were gathering, it can be easily disabled.

TLDW: They are sending some sort of encrypted data back home. Supposedly it is crash reports but I dont think anyone knows for sure. There is no opt in / opt out, you just have to blacklist the DNS request which they have stated is fine.
From what I read its allegedly performance and crash data, the US side of the company was not informed/aware of the call home change that got snuck in to the firmware update (or at least playing dumb if they did and decided to roll with it).
Doesn't bode well either way, but their collection does supposedly comply with GDPR.
The next FW updates are expected to have an opt out option, we'll see how long it takes to release those.

That being said, I have the full ubiquiti stack it was a little pricey, but very stable and had 0 issues the past 2 years with it.
I was spending a couple hundred every other year to upgrade to try to solve wifi issues with the wife anyway so its a drop in the bucket to make her happy.

I just recently upgraded to a UDM Pro from an ERL + Pi hosted Unifi Controller for my AP. Relearning the EdgeRouter -> Unifi interface.

Now to educate myself about 10G so I can hook my Freenas into the SFP+ port.

I am rocking a full Network stack if very basic. 2 Inwall AC's for APs, USG, and an a 8 Port USG POE switch. Will probably add 2 of their cameras in the near future. Everything just works. Still learning the FW rules/routing in the USG but building out an iOT network, Internal Production, Secure, and Guest Wifi Networks. Good speeds and fantastic stability. I usually stay 1-2 FW versions behind. Can't complain and will contiune to use them at home. At work we use AP's only for a constant and cheap Enterprise like setup without paying licensing costs etc... Managing about 16 APs all AC-Pro's crossed 5 remote sites.

I just recently upgraded to a UDM Pro from an ERL + Pi hosted Unifi Controller for my AP. Relearning the EdgeRouter -> Unifi interface.

Now to educate myself about 10G so I can hook my Freenas into the SFP+ port.

I am trying to order UDM Pros. But they have no stock. What's your experience like so far with it?

I am trying to order UDM Pros. But they have no stock. What's your experience like so far with it?
I like it so far, though some things frustrated me with the setup. I forgot I had DNS over HTTPS turned on in my main browser and that complicated my setup. It is billed as an enterprise product (I think they should maybe back off that a bit) but I would not expect an enterprise product to do this janky HTTP/DNS request interception BS to setup. The Edgerouter has been in use for quite a while at home so I'm still learning how UbiOS/Unifi does things in comparison. At work I'm used to Cisco and F5 gear where I usually directly edit port config, Unifi seems to make me create a group with those settings and assign the port into that group. Either way, still learning.

My network is pretty basic compared to many, 1 VLAN for wired stuff, 1 VLAN for wireless. I considered doing a guest style IoT network but after an inventory I only have two of those devices anyhow. I made a severely restricted bandwidth limiting group for those two things instead and it seems to be fine. This may change when I free up a hard drive and buy one or two of their cameras. A doorbell camera that doesn't make me reliant on or subject to Google or Amazon would be nice. There are people bitching about not being able to adopt the UDMPro into an existing controller but Ubiquiti said that wouldn't work that way from the get go. No IGMP proxy or advanced json networking yet either but I don't make use of those.

There is very sparse documentation right now and their forum should add a tag/section for UDM/UDMPro stuff.

IDS/IPS, geo-blocking, and all the other security bits turned on don't seem to phase it with my paltry 250Mbps comcast connection.

I could complain about no POE or only 1 HD slot but hell the thing was only $380. Wouldn't have bought it if it was >$500. If and when I fully figure this out I bet I could have a nice side job installing them for small businesses, bars/restaurants especially. Just don't want to do after install support.

This is just a function of well-catalogued configuration backups and... piles of spares :)
Ha, yeah. Thats where I could see it being a slave off of a master Unifi Controller would be nice, less on site visits.

My network is pretty basic compared to many, 1 VLAN for wired stuff, 1 VLAN for wireless. I considered doing a guest style IoT network but after an inventory I only have two of those devices anyhow. I made a severely restricted bandwidth limiting group for those two things instead and it seems to be fine. This may change when I free up a hard drive and buy one or two of their cameras. A doorbell camera that doesn't make me reliant on or subject to Google or Amazon would be nice. There are people bitching about not being able to adopt the UDMPro into an existing controller but Ubiquiti said that wouldn't work that way from the get go. No IGMP proxy or advanced json networking yet either but I don't make use of those.

There is very sparse documentation right now and their forum should add a tag/section for UDM/UDMPro stuff.

IDS/IPS, geo-blocking, and all the other security bits turned on don't seem to phase it with my paltry 250Mbps comcast connection.

I could complain about no POE or only 1 HD slot but hell the thing was only $380. Wouldn't have bought it if it was >$500. If and when I fully figure this out I bet I could have a nice side job installing them for small businesses, bars/restaurants especially. Just don't want to do after install support.

Sounds pretty similar to what I want to do with it. I figure if I was going to get an edgerouter 4 or something and a cloudkey it would essentially cost the same so might as well get the UDM-Pro.

Sounds pretty similar to what I want to do with it. I figure if I was going to get an edgerouter 4 or something and a cloudkey it would essentially cost the same so might as well get the UDM-Pro.
Plus you should you want cameras your setup for an NVR as well.

Plus you should you want cameras your setup for an NVR as well.
I bought one of the cameras to try out, its an ok system, it works and is decent.
But the cameras are really pricey for what you get, you can get much better quality IP cameras for much cheaper and just use something like blue iris for the recording.

I use Ubiquiti exclusively for all installs except projects with lots of servers.
It's a good system. Currently running on more than 10 locations. With 2 locations that have camera protection on top.
Easy to install, cheap and works flawlessly.
Getting the UDM-pro to test as soon as it comes out.

I use the Edgerouter ER-X-SFP w/ 4 x UAP's and run UniFi Controller in a jail on my FreeNAS box .. been a good simple setup for my home for a while now.

Edgerouter 4 >--CAT5e-> HP 10Gbase-T switch >--2x10Gbit DACs in LAG-> Aruba 48G switch --CAT5e-> most nodes | domain, DNS, Unifi Switch 8 60w for UAP AC Pro, other systems
-> primary workstation with 9900K / 1080Ti over 10Gbase-T
-> NAS with two ZFS arrays over 10Gbase-T

So far, happy enough. I wouldn't mind playing with the new UDM Pro, but it's absolutely unneeded and I can replicate all functionality regardless. I'm still saddened that I wound up at a place that is still stuck with Spectrum's 20Mbit max upload speed. Kind of wanted to play around with remoting in through various means while traveling for work and pleasure.

Edgerouter 4 >--CAT5e-> HP 10Gbase-T switch >--2x10Gbit DACs in LAG-> Aruba 48G switch --CAT5e-> most nodes | domain, DNS, Unifi Switch 8 60w for UAP AC Pro, other systems
-> primary workstation with 9900K / 1080Ti over 10Gbase-T
-> NAS with two ZFS arrays over 10Gbase-T

So far, happy enough. I wouldn't mind playing with the new UDM Pro, but it's absolutely unneeded and I can replicate all functionality regardless. I'm still saddened that I wound up at a place that is still stuck with Spectrum's 20Mbit max upload speed. Kind of wanted to play around with remoting in through various means while traveling for work and pleasure.
spectrum/charter here with 400/20 .. ''They" say that I don't need any faster upload and even suggested without outright saying it that only people that do illegal stuff would "need" any faster upload speed .. :confused:

spectrum/charter here with 400/20 .. ''They" say that I don't need any faster upload and even suggested without outright saying it that only people that do illegal stuff would "need" any faster upload speed .. :confused:
I had no idea people that have personal businesses only do illegal stuff, who knew!?

Have had fantastic experiences with it over the years. Like anything, once you know it the smaller quirks and differences people complain about tend to be non-issues.
It is a unique architecture with their controller setup, but once you get it the whole system is great to work with.

I run 10+ sites with many devices deployed and have had no issues and lots of praise from customers. Have solved so many Wifi and Connectivity issues by just dropping in their devices and have installations that are going on 5+ years of nothing but updates pushed through the controller remotely.

Back