Ubiquiti AP

Nicklebon

Gawd
Have a question for you folk using Ubiquiti unfi. I need to replace an AP that has seen better days. Unifi looks like it may be suitable but meaty info is lacking over at ubiquity. We currently have APs connected via trunks running 3 VLANs 1 for mgt, 1 for internal user access and another for guest access. The guest ssid uses wpa2-psk, the user ssid uses wpa2/enterprise. This is a fairly small location being served by 1 AP. Once I replace the existing AP I will add another for better coverage as we have a couple of weak areas.

Can the ubiquiti boxes do what we need? I assume the controller will need to sit on the mgt VLAN as whatever it uses to mgt and discover the APs runs at layer 2. If am wrong here please let em know.

Also I find it laughable these guys want to claim up 300Mb of wireless performance but only provide a 10/100 port. Who seriously gives a rat's about wireless to wireless performance? The only performance that matters is wireless to wired.

Thanks in advance!

One of their APs should meet your needs fine. One note, the controller doesn't HAVE to sit on the same VLAN as the AP forever, only long enough for discovery. So I brought mine up on the same VLAN as the controller, joined it, and they changed the IP through the software. Supposedly they're going to fix this in the future.

To your 300Mbps point, it actually still is of benefit because of overhead and such.

You will still probably see better speeds with a 300Mbps connection than a 150Mbps or 54Mbps even over 10/100. Plus your odds of getting a 54Mbps or 150Mbps connection increase with a 300Mbps capable radio.

Have a question for you folk using Ubiquiti unfi. I need to replace an AP that has seen better days. Unifi looks like it may be suitable but meaty info is lacking over at ubiquity. We currently have APs connected via trunks running 3 VLANs 1 for mgt, 1 for internal user access and another for guest access. The guest ssid uses wpa2-psk, the user ssid uses wpa2/enterprise. This is a fairly small location being served by 1 AP. Once I replace the existing AP I will add another for better coverage as we have a couple of weak areas.

Can the ubiquiti boxes do what we need? I assume the controller will need to sit on the mgt VLAN as whatever it uses to mgt and discover the APs runs at layer 2. If am wrong here please let em know.

Also I find it laughable these guys want to claim up 300Mb of wireless performance but only provide a 10/100 port. Who seriously gives a rat's about wireless to wireless performance? The only performance that matters is wireless to wired.

Thanks in advance!

Divide 300 by 1/2 right away because wireless is only half duplex. Though MIMO somewhat solves this. At 300 most people hit 10,11 MBs with a good wireless card and a router with Gigabit ports. Add more than one wireless client and you start to see slower speeds the more you add. The 100 mb port is enough for the access point. The unifi should do what you need.

Back