Ubi goes Old School - Might and Magic X legacy

Well, this is certainly a serious entry into the MM series. So far it seems rather well done. Definitely oldschool. Don't expect incredible graphics or superb voice acting. Not that any of the MM games ever had either... otherwise, it fits the series nicely.

Last edited:
Well, this is certainly a serious entry into the MM series. So far it seems rather well done. Definitely oldschool. Don't expect incredible graphics or superb voice acting. Not that any of the MM games ever had either... otherwise, it fits the series nicely.

Yes, budget title through and through. However. The dev team are certainly passionate about capturing the essence of the originals (not 6 or later). Yet to be seen if they have managed to do so, but it certainly looks promising.

Having a blast with final release, it's come a long, long way since early access.

WOW no idea this game even was coming out. Always been a huge fan of Might and Magic and Wizardry from back in the day.

Just snagged it up, cannot wait to play it!

Has anyone gotten very far in the the game; i.e, i'm curious if the later sections are polished or have gobs of undone areas. Also is the story any good ?

It's very much a MM3-5 style game. I like it better than 6 and on. This isn't really a game for people who aren't already fans of M&M. It feels exactly like World of Xeen. If you can't get into that because it's too old school, then you won't like this. There are quite a few improvements, and some areas where they streamlined (more accessible), but it's definitely made for fans of the series.

Now if we could only get a new Wizardry that isn't Japanese...

I rolled my own party -

Dwarven Defender, Orc Shaman, Elven Ranger, Dwarven Runepriest.

Pretty good combo so far.

Is the game as demanding as the system requirements indicate (higher than homm vi, anno 2070)?

I mean this relatively, it wouldn't be a factor for my main desktop, this the type of game I'd be interested in on the go (buy dont want to buy a gaming laptop) where graphics settings isn't really a priority. Laptop IGP essentially.

I rolled my own party -

Dwarven Defender, Orc Shaman, Elven Ranger, Dwarven Runepriest.

Pretty good combo so far.

Yeah, not a fan of the default party.
I went,

Human Crusader
Human Freemage
Dwarf Runepriest
Elf Blade Dancer

Is the game as demanding as the system requirements indicate (higher than homm vi, anno 2070)?

I mean this relatively, it wouldn't be a factor for my main desktop, this the type of game I'd be interested in on the go (buy dont want to buy a gaming laptop) where graphics settings isn't really a priority. Laptop IGP essentially.

I have everything maxed and it pegs at 60 fps. The early access was unoptimized, but I see zero slowdowns or hitches. This is running on an old Q9550 with a 5850. HoMMVI is more intensive.

Since it's using the unity engine, the settings are fairly scalable and forgiving on older hardware.

Yep, it's a homage to the original MM 1 to 5. Plus, this format was more practical for the budget.

Apparently the game becomes more open world in Act 2. Still no free-roaming however.

Having a blast with final release, it's come a long, long way since early access.

That's sounds great, I only tried the first early access and stopped since I didn't want to be spoiled. I just finished Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, so M&M X looks to be the next game on my list to play!

Man, M&M 3-5 are some of my favorite RPGs ever, didn't like the later games in the series as much, if this is similar in spirit to the earlier games then I'm all over it.

Now you guys have me wanting to play this instead of working on my giant backlog.

Might pick this up for the nostalgia factor, heard it was around 60 hrs to complete the game.

9 hours in and I'm really enjoying the game so far. A few minor bugs here and there and a little bit of jank, but nothing a patch or two can't even out.

The gameplay is hitting the sweet spot of old skool nostalgia without feeling too dated. The balancing is good and offers a decent satisfying challenge on Adventurer mode. Some hardcore players might want to ramp it up to Warrior difficulty.

Extremely well done for a budget title. I'm impressed with the dev team that put it together.

Small details like how the night sky is tinted royal blue gave me flashbacks to MM3.

Next on my shopping list.

EDIT: What? You have to connect to the internet every time you want to play? Sorry Ubi, not for me...

Last edited:
I have everything maxed and it pegs at 60 fps. The early access was unoptimized, but I see zero slowdowns or hitches. This is running on an old Q9550 with a 5850. HoMMVI is more intensive.

That's good to hear as the minimum system requirements are listed as higher (8800 GTX vs 8600gt).

EDIT: What? You have to connect to the internet every time you want to play? Sorry Ubi, not for me...

Who in the world connects to the internet manually nowadays? So you don't play any games distributed by steam or origin at all?

Who in the world connects to the internet manually nowadays? So you don't play any games distributed by steam or origin at all?

I have only 1 steam game (an exception, because i was bored to get it via post), which i will soon get in DVD too, as to avoid steam completely. I am not an "active gamer" anymore. Most of the time i play 1999-2002 games, if you understand me. And whenever i can, i buy DVD versions. I have particular enmity against Ubi, because i had bought Silent Hunter III, that came with Starforce. The only "recent" game i have is Shogun 2 (DVD).

Sooner or later, it will end up in gog.com and then i will get it DRM free.

It is sad the current abuse people take from companies. It has become "natural" to take abuse. I have played SimCity I, back in Amstrad CPC. I was excited to hear a new SimCity was out. Then i learnt that you practically depend on their servers all the time. I didn't buy it.

It should be the company to fear the customer, not the other way around. So, ok, i won't play it, they won't get my money... I have many interests in life, some of which more useful anyway than giving my money to Ubi or playing her game...

For you, it is natural to do so. For my generation, the question would rather be "how on earth did they end up abused like this?".

As to who in the world connects to internet manually nowdays, you should better rephrase that to "who in USA...". Here in Italy, there are still areas not covered by ADSL, people temporarily away from their hometown (working, studying), that rely on mobile internet, others who use satellite connection, others in buildings with odd wirings that support only 1 ADSL per building, etc.

And i am too old to take the abuse and go register to every forum to ask the classic "can't activate", "are servers down?" and bla bla bla. I am not paying them anymore for what i consider abuse. Simple.

Last edited:
For you, it is natural to do so. For my generation, the question would rather be "how on earth did they end up abused like this?".

I am from your generation, and I have to disagree with you. I would rather have a place like steam or origin hold my games for me. Why you might ask? Well if you scratch your DVD or cant find them (or lost your cdkey) well you are usually Shit outta luck and have to go out and purchase it again.

In this day and age the internet is everywhere. So you should be able to connect to steam or origin anywhere in the world.

What if someone lets say breaks into your house and steals all your games and pc? Well you are SOL and now have to buy all the games again.

With over 500 games in my steam library (and iv been a Steam member since I was forced to use it for CS) I wouldnt want my games any other way.

No point avoiding the internet for gaming when EVERYONE uses the internet. I mean if someone cant afford the internet, well then they cant really afford a game on steam or origin? Let alone a PC To play the games on.

just my .02c

I am from your generation, and I have to disagree with you. I would rather have a place like steam or origin hold my games for me. Why you might ask? Well if you scratch your DVD or cant find them (or lost your cdkey) well you are usually Shit outta luck and have to go out and purchase it again.

In this day and age the internet is everywhere. So you should be able to connect to steam or origin anywhere in the world.

What if someone lets say breaks into your house and steals all your games and pc? Well you are SOL and now have to buy all the games again.

With over 500 games in my steam library (and iv been a Steam member since I was forced to use it for CS) I wouldnt want my games any other way.

No point avoiding the internet for gaming when EVERYONE uses the internet. I mean if someone cant afford the internet, well then they cant really afford a game on steam or origin? Let alone a PC To play the games on.

just my .02c

Well, i guess it's a matter of character then. I am a PC security enthusiast too and a "purist". I don't like crap programs cluttering startup, i don't like crap services and don't like programs phoning home all the time. And i see no good reasons to do that for a game. Already i take the abuse from Microsoft, because i have reinstalled Win7 too many times and now i have to make a phone call and enter a long sequence to my computer to activate. Now Microsoft is one thing. I can't avoid it. Ubi, i can live without.

I am a careful person, never lost anything, never scratched anything, have copies of all my "copyable" DVDs and at least here, nobody that will come to steal you, will ever bother with your games.

Using the internet is one thing. Being imposed upon on using it the way THEY like it, is another. It's not about cost affordability. It's a matter of principle and in some cases a practicallity.

For another example, less about principle and more about practicality, my nephew is in his first year in university away from his family. He uses a USB key for internet, because doesn't make much sense to put a land line just for himself. Internet keys here are either time-limited or data-limited. He has a data limited (i don't remember whether 5GB or 10GB/month. 10GB is the biggest there is in Italy right now unless i am mistaken). Can you imagine him using that to "mass-download" games from steam? Unlike me is an avid gamer, but he HAS to buy boxed versions, because he doesn't have enough bandwidth.

Well, i guess it's a matter of character then. I am a PC security enthusiast too and a "purist". I don't like crap programs cluttering startup, i don't like crap services and don't like programs phoning home all the time. And i see no good reasons to do that for a game. Already i take the abuse from Microsoft, because i have reinstalled Win7 too many times and now i have to make a phone call and enter a long sequence to my computer to activate.

I am a careful person, never lost anything, never scratched anything, have copies of all my "copyable" DVDs and at least here, nobody that will come to steal you, will ever bother with your games.

Using the internet is one thing. Being imposed upon on using it the way THEY like it, is another. It's not about cost affordability. It's a matter of principle and in some cases a practicallity.

For another example, less about principle and more about practicality, my nephew is in his first year in university away from his family. He uses a USB key for internet, because doesn't make much sense to put a land line just for himself. Internet keys here are either time-limited or data-limited. He has a data limited (i don't remember whether 5GB or 10GB/month. 10GB is the biggest there is in Italy right now unless i am mistaken). Can you imagine him using that to "mass-download" games from steam? Unlike me is an avid gamer, but he HAS to buy boxed versions, because he doesn't have enough bandwidth.

Well You have to do the same thing with consoles as with PC's. Updates DLC's etc take up bandwidth. I mean hell BF3 has like a 4-5gig patch just to play. Even if you bought the dvd copy of the game your bandwidth is done for the month to even get up to date to play it.

Just to let ya know. Steam does have an offline mode, and it also lets you burn/create dvd copies of your games so you can install it later without having to download it again.

So then you can have the best of both worlds. I mean alot of games are created for steam only, so even if you bought a game (say like Skyrim) You have to install steam to even have the game activate (but still play in offline mode).

You can also easily have steam not start at windows startup. I don't know about anyone else, but when I boot my system, I usually have nothing startup except important programs I need etc.

I know not every place is like the USA and Canada, but he could easily go to a internet cafe in europe and download stuff if he needs too. Sure it might be slow, but its better then no internet.

My question I would like to add, Since when does a university not have internet for the students? I mean even in Europe I have never heard of a university to not provide it for students.

Well You have to do the same thing with consoles as with PC's. Updates DLC's etc take up bandwidth. I mean hell BF3 has like a 4-5gig patch just to play. Even if you bought the dvd copy of the game your bandwidth is done for the month to even get up to date to play it.

Just to let ya know. Steam does have an offline mode, and it also lets you burn/create dvd copies of your games so you can install it later without having to download it again.

So then you can have the best of both worlds. I mean alot of games are created for steam only, so even if you bought a game (say like Skyrim) You have to install steam to even have the game activate (but still play in offline mode).

You can also easily have steam not start at windows startup. I don't know about anyone else, but when I boot my system, I usually have nothing startup except important programs I need etc.

I know not every place is like the USA and Canada, but he could easily go to a internet cafe in europe and download stuff if he needs too. Sure it might be slow, but its better then no internet.

My question I would like to add, Since when does a university not have internet for the students? I mean even in Europe I have never heard of a university to not provide it for students.

For me, the discussion doesn't have too much value, i am not gaming anymore really. My progression of most recently released games was: 2005-2009-2011. These are the 3 most recent games i 've played... I simply don't have neither the time, nor the lure to game like once.

I don't know where he gets the patches from, but i know he's told me he gets boxed everytime he can.

When i was in university, there was no internet at all. Now, they have free wi-fi (but slow) inside some areas. My nephew relies mainly on friends to download heavy stuff from what i know. But i don't know hoe exactly or what he gets from where. It's a matter of university funding, you shouldn't be suprised at all. Worse things happen in the universities here.

I'm not in the USA nor in Canada, as a matter of fact I'm in Europe as well and was born in 1972. Just FYI.

No - You DO NOT have to connect to the internet every time you want to play. Uplay will simply go into OFFLINE MODE if there is no internet connection and you can still play the game. Just tested this personally.

So much misinformation out there.

EDIT: The game does however need to connect to the internet the first time it is run to authenticate.

No - You DO NOT have to connect to the internet every time you want to play. Uplay will simply go into OFFLINE MODE if there is no internet connection and you can still play the game. Just tested this personally.

EDIT: The game does however need to connect to the internet the first time it is run to authenticate.

Ah, so you activate ONCE and afterwards you can play offline? Well, that's better. Thank you for the information.

Funny, I buy games to enjoy them without even questioning my character or whether or not I am breaking my "purism" for doing it. If it requires internet for activation so be it. That's what I have Internet for. Games are meant for fun/entertainment, why people take some moral high ground about where how/you get it is beyond me. Oh well...

WTF, just buy a game and play it. The days of old where you needed every ounce of free memory to play games and long windows startup times are over. It's called an SSD and also RAM is so cheap these days. Digital gaming is here to stay and I couldn't be happier for it.

Who cares if it requires a internet connection to activate ?!?! I sure don't because I would just download a cracked executable to bypass it anyways lol.

Who cares if it requires a internet connection to activate ?!?! I sure don't because I would just download a cracked executable to bypass it anyways lol.

Why bother? If your internet connection works, may as well activate it. I understand why people boycott always online DRM and other heavy handed methods but a simple one off, first time activation is like a fart in the wind.

Metacritic score is averaging at 74 at the moment. To me I think this is a fair score for a solid budget title with good gameplay and current technical issues. Once they've got the performance problems under control I'd probably rate it even higher. I didn't expect I'd enjoy it as much as I have been.

Here's what I am liking about it so far:

• Riddles and puzzles are well implemented and designed (Some cheekily recycled from MM2 ;) )
  • Character development is well paced and satisfying
  • Graphics are decent & the art style is fitting, colourful and atmospheric
  • Has a well developed battle system
  • Tons of interesting LOOT (uses similar common, magic, rare, legendary system as modern ARPGs)
  • Interesting and varied creatures
  • Follows the M&M universe faithfully
  • Has a well balanced and occasionally challenging (Bosses) difficulty level on Adventurer mode.
  • Fantastic homage to MM3-5

And the dislikes:
  • Occasionally glitchy animations and GFX
  • Performance and FPS in the over-world can be disappointing at times
  • Stability could be better - Couple of CTDs in 20 hours of play
  • The clear budget restrictions (lack of voice acting, cutscenes, No 3D portraits or 3D paper doll models with gear representation, static/bland UI hotkeys etc)
  • Some textures could have done with a little more work
  • Generally could do with a little more extra polish

Nitpicks aside, I'm actually tempted to say, this game has all the makings of a classic as long as it is supported well after release.

Last edited:
Great summary mr_zen - thanks for taking a moment to share that.

I've been itching to play a more modern version of this style of game since I got my hands on a Steam version of Wizardry 8 again (logged 50 hours since the winter sale lol). I've already played Grimrock and enjoyed that too.

Can you comment on how the game is paced out? For example, right now what I've read suggests the first part of the game is on rails, then it opens up. Is the open-end part satisfying or does it quickly start to feel "boxed in" so to speak? Just curious if it creates a genuine sense of adventure with decent scale.

My understanding is that Ubi (I can't stand these guys, but good game > scumbag publisher IMO) opened up the dev tools to the community also. Am I tracking on that too?

Those are my last two items left to confirm before I pull the trigger on this. It seemed to good to be true and it's been so long that I'm skeptical or maybe even cynical at this point lol.

Can you comment on how the game is paced out? For example, right now what I've read suggests the first part of the game is on rails, then it opens up. Is the open-end part satisfying or does it quickly start to feel "boxed in" so to speak? Just curious if it creates a genuine sense of adventure with decent scale.

Sure. So Act 1 is essentially a tutorial that eases you into the mechanics of the game and is fairly linear in terms of story progression with a few small side quests. The game opens up a bit once you leave the starting town. Act 1 has been said to take people around 8 hours to complete, for me it was 9.

Last night I completed Act 2 bringing the total play time so far to 22 hours. The game does seem to open up a bit more in Act 2 with a lot more areas branching off, side quests, a larger city, the outer world and dungeons to explore. There are 4 acts total.

One thing that has to be said about the outer areas is that some parts are in a maze like configuration, so it's not all "open world" as you may expect. For example, in MM3-5 you'd be able to use your path-finding/mountaineering skill to traverse forests and hills. Although this mechanic is in the game, it is restricted to specific points that has an on-screen visual indicator that a particular area can be accessed once your party has the right skill.

This may sound restrictive, but really, it's no more restrictive than the area limitations you'd find in MM6-9. I have found exploring the different areas to still be satisfying since there are plenty of forking pathways that open up to larger, more spacious areas to explore. There are STILL several dungeons and areas from Act 1 that I have been unable to explore due to the creatures being too difficult for my party level. One wrong turn and you might find yourself face to face with a massive Cyclops or a Shadow Dragon so it pays to save often :)

In summary, does the game feel linear? To a degree. Regardless of the larger open areas, the game does tend to funnel you along from one area to the next in terms of main storyline progression. Is exploration still satisfying and fun? Yes. There are plenty of side quests, dungeons and branching areas, I never feel too claustrophobic except for a couple of areas where that claustrophobia is clearly a design intention of the devs, and it works.

A testament to how much I've been enjoying the game, I haven't touched AC4: Black Flag since I started play MMX. And I really like AC4 :)

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm downloading the digital deluxe version now.

Did a little reading around the developer blog and I'm hoping that some die-hard fans of the genre develop some new content for it over time :).

This should be a fun game for a dinosaur like me :p. While I can enjoy games like TES, Fallout, and STALKER I really enjoy RPGs where I can develop a party and it's member dynamics.

Crossing my fingers that I don't run into some of the nastier bugs I've read about though... Still willing to take the risk!

Back