UberEats Drivers Are Revolting In London

HardOCP News

[H] News
UberEats couriers in London are complaining that they could earn less than the minimum living wage due to recent changes made in their rate of pay. Uber on the other hand says that the rate change is actually a pay increase.

Drivers now get paid £3.30 per delivery plus £1 per mile travelled, with Uber taking a 25 percent cut of that total. A bonus of £3 or £4 is then added depending on the day of the week and whether the delivery is during peak or off-peak hours. Before last weekend, though, that bonus reward was a flat £5. Uber says this was a "very generous" incentive offered to drivers while the customer base was growing. Now business has picked up, these incentives have been lowered.

not real news or anything of importance.

I don't even know what uberEats is. I assume it's some weird version of seamless or grubhub.

I cannot image why anything Uber or Lyft is up to is tech news we should be concerned about.
It is not nearly [H] enough.

not real news or anything of importance.

I don't even know what uberEats is. I assume it's some weird version of seamless or grubhub.

Same thing as either, they're basically a delivery service for restaurants that don't deliver.

Peoole have a hard time understanding what it means to be an independent contractor. Idiots

I though Uber drivers are *not* employees of Uber but essentially independent contractors. Things like minimum living wage doesn't apply to contractors, right?

If you become an Uber driver, know what you signed up for. You don't get the same kind of labour protection as regular employees.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Uber drivers are not employees of uber at all. They are independent contractors. Uber has work. They let you know that there is work available in the area. They tell you how much you'll earn with that job. You either accept or decline. If you accept, uber takes a % of the job. It's that simple. This is no different than a barber shop. You sre an independent contractor, and either you pay booth rent, or you pay a % to the shop. Either way, you are your own boss, make your own schedule, and go on/off the clock as you please.

It's kinda sad how uber is using all those people - they are essentially luring suckers to low pay work that will fund uber research of autonomous cars that will kill those suckers "workplaces" in few years.

Such a racket, Uber states what the prices/pay rate is.... but then they turn around and take 25% of that. Reminds me of headhunters who find you a job and then you basically pay them a part of your salary for a long time.

It's kinda sad how uber is using all those people - they are essentially luring suckers to low pay work that will fund uber research of autonomous cars that will kill those suckers "workplaces" in few years.

We are a long way from that. Needs to be a serious increase in volume before that happens.

Such a racket, Uber states what the prices/pay rate is.... but then they turn around and take 25% of that. Reminds me of headhunters who find you a job and then you basically pay them a part of your salary for a long time.

Lol. Are you serious?

Sad in the sense that they are obtuse to the long game. I do find it hilarious that the drivers are too mathematically challenged to account for vehicle wear, etc.

I find most regular taxi drivers pretty revolting. So it's no surprise some uber drivers are just as bad.

I read that as "Ubereats drivers in London are revolting" and in my mind before I read the next line and realized I'd read that last line wrong. Uber contractors need to grow up and act like adults, you don't like the way you're treated? Get a traditional job, you're the one choosing to be self-employed and contract your services to Uber. Uber is a terrible company to be affiliated with and the drivers are the ones making the choice to go with Uber, not the other way round.

Back