Uber Settles Lawsuit Over Driver Sexual Assault Claims

HardOCP News

[H] News
Uber has dipped into its coffers once again to settle a lawsuit. This time around, Uber decided to settle with two women accusing its drivers of sexual assault after a judge decided that Uber is responsible when its drivers commit crimes against passengers that used the company's service app.

Uber Technologies Inc. settled a lawsuit filed by two women who sought to hold the company responsible for alleged sexual assaults by drivers. Terms of the accord weren’t disclosed in court papers. The settlement follows a federal judge’s ruling six months ago rejecting the company’s argument that it couldn’t be blamed for sexual attacks by drivers, who it classifies as contractors rather than employees.

and why are they responsible?

while being an uber driver myself (for fun - socially expose me), it was rather easy to signup. I do think the background & signup process should be more human interfaced but i can only see that once they have the market.

How the hell are these people still making money?

so tonight i drove for 3 hours and got $34 in take home (pure cash). Uber took 8.65 (so 34 + 8.65). This is the same model most online ticket systems use

If anything, I think the app would make it easier to track down and find a would be criminal vs them just doing the crime on their own.

But anyway, with automation on the horizon this is probably just a short term legal problem for them.

So if a bank employee commits sexual assault on a client, then the bank is responsible for that? That seems stupid to me.

So if a bank employee commits sexual assault on a client, then the bank is responsible for that? That seems stupid to me.

which is what I was trying to get at with my comment. Whey are they and not the person that committed the crime responsible for the crime. Even with the best background checks people are going to fall through. I have never been arrested for a crime, doesn't mean that Monday I can't go into work and go on a murderous rampage. Somebody could be a driver for decades and one night just decide they are going go take advantage of a circumstance with a cute woman and thing go very wrong very quickly.

If the employee is acting outside the scope of their job some states (must not be all for this one to have been awarded) state that the employer is not responsible. For example a bouncer removed a drunk person from a club but then got too rough and beat the shit out of him in the parking lot. Since it was his job to remove drunk people and be combative with them to a degree it was considered the fault of the club and they had to pay, since that is him going overboard with his job and not stopping when he should have. On the flip side a hotel worker sexually assaulted a child, however since that is in no way related to anything to do with their job the hotel was not found to be responsible for the action. In this case the job is driving them home, so rape or sexual assault is not part of the job and so in at least some states Uber is not responsible for such acts. Not unless they are using the lack of a true background check as a way to say they didn't take any part in the crime but also didn't even care to try to prevent it also with the most basic of background checks.

The only way they're responsible, is if the guy was a convicted rapist, and they still let him drive for them, or didn't even do a background check.

Back