Uber Seeking To Buy Self-Driving Cars

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess this would be a perfect solution to all the problems caused lately by Uber's human drivers. Not sure why they would be shopping now though considering you can't use self-driving cars yet.

Ride-hailing service Uber has sounded out car companies about placing a large order for self-driving cars, an auto industry source said on Friday. "They wanted autonomous cars," the source, who declined to be named, said. "It seemed like they were shopping around."

Unionize?? ya well we'll buy robots just think about that. Cheesy move, cause ya there is no point in looking into something seriously that isn't even legal at this point. Typical anti union fear tactic... if you drive up our costs we can ship your jobs off or replace you with tech.

The future is not owning a car at all and having an autonomous car just arrive at your door when you need it. Also most people will reduce their fare by using computer-scheduled ride-sharing. So the car may arrive with people in it, or stop to pick others up. The total cost of traveling this way will be considerably less for most people than owning a car today. Those who own a car will usually release their car to be used by this same system when they don't need it to make money and reduce the cost of owning a car.

The future is not owning a car at all and having an autonomous car just arrive at your door when you need it. Also most people will reduce their fare by using computer-scheduled ride-sharing. So the car may arrive with people in it, or stop to pick others up. The total cost of traveling this way will be considerably less for most people than owning a car today. Those who own a car will usually release their car to be used by this same system when they don't need it to make money and reduce the cost of owning a car.

Isn't that sort of like saying people will rent out their homes when there out ? I mean most folks are out of the house for 8-12 hours a day, why not rent the space while your at work.

I can see the automated cab companies driving down costs and as long as there is real competition sure most of us won't really need a car. For those that still buy cars and other 4 wheeled toys I doubt many of them will be sending them off on auto Uber Style jobs, who wants to find your car parked itself overnight with fast food wrappers and condoms all over the backseat. ;) lol

Back