Uber reveals IPO plans.

Uvaman2

2[H]4U
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/11/technology/uber-ipo-filing.html

Its a quick article taking about Uber publishing their prospectus, and the likely IPO coming up soon.
Valuation might hit upwards 100billion.

In my view: Just what the hell... A company with massive loses, 100 billion IPO. Yeah this all looks like 80s pump and dumb schemes, only the con takes longer, and they gotta wait until everyone owns a little via 401ks and mutual funds and all that jazz... Then the big boys pull the plug, and leave everyone on the hook.

Man... I don't see Uber's big plan here. They organize people with their own cars to transport (kidnap and rape) their customers. Everyone gets paid a little money. The product is the service. Lyft has already proven you can compete.

What is that 100 billion valuation for? Servers? Cloud services? Where in the brass tax short of a copy-able and repeatable IP is the hard value to Uber?

Ill admit I am no expert on this, but at what point is this just a Ponzi scheme? Theyre continually bleeding money, and are only kept afloat by new investor money.

Where did they come up with 100 billion, lmao doubt this company is even worth 10 billion

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Ill admit I am no expert on this, but at what point is this just a Ponzi scheme? Theyre continually bleeding money, and are only kept afloat by new investor money.

Wallstreet in general has become a large Ponzi scheme. Unless you have millions of dollars and are managing your own portfolio, you are making pennies compared to what they make off your 401k, IRA, or other "low risk" investments.

Edit:
lcxyE0D.gif

Last edited:
Hahaha!

My friend used to work for an Uber funded business. They would sell cars to poor people for an Uber payment plan or some shit. Many of these people couldn’t keep up payments and really messed up the cars in the process. I think that particular business crashed. Talk about throwing bad money after worse. My friend now works somewhere else.

Man... I don't see Uber's big plan here. They organize people with their own cars to transport (kidnap and rape) their customers. Everyone gets paid a little money. The product is the service. Lyft has already proven you can compete.

What is that 100 billion valuation for? Servers? Cloud services? Where in the brass tax short of a copy-able and repeatable IP is the hard value to Uber?

How is Lyft competing? They don't make money either. Soon as one tries to raise prices and make money, people will go to the other. I see no way for these to make money.

Lyft is tanking right now..
If anyone believed this was not going to happen.... True morons. I predicted list would eventually settle around 45/share at best and possible lower depending upon how quick Uber IPO came. The fact that they were ever valued as high as they were is just ridiculous.

Uber is worth tree-fiddy. I guess the CEO thinks the app that coordinates all the schleps using their own vehicles and fuel to keep this schmuck in riches is worth $100B. The ultimate bubble is about to burst and 99% of the population will be reduced to eating pigeons and bugs.

how do you lose this much money when you have no physical product to manufacture.

Incredible.
Losing money in what?
I mean what is the overhead for them..? Server hardware, electricity and financial transaction fees ? Background checks maybe?
Shit someone could probably setup an a competing app $1 flat fee per ride , drivers set the ride cost, bidding style ( this is not new in this business).

As a counter-point, I'll remind everybody that there was this online bookstore called Amazon.com that was founded in 1994, IPO'd in 1997, and didn't turn a profit until 2001 (?).
So Uber's deal certainly isn't 'unique'.

As far as their business model - I think it's actually excellent. The pride and utility of owning an automobile certainly isn't what it once was, and society has changed. I work with a guy who is so excited that he literally can't stand himself at the prospect of being able to ditch his car and just summon a ride whenever he needs one with his cell phone (e.g. he's craving the day when these ride sharing services are ubiquitous).

All of that said, I absolutely *DO* get the point you're all making. And I agree.
Just floating the counter-point for Devil's advocate.

As a counter-point, I'll remind everybody that there was this online bookstore called Amazon.com that was founded in 1994, IPO'd in 1997, and didn't turn a profit until 2001 (?).

As far as their business model - I think it's actually excellent. The pride and utility of owning an automobile certainly isn't what it once was, and society has changed. I work with a guy who is so excited that he literally can't stand himself at the prospect of being able to ditch his car and just summon a ride whenever he needs one with his cell phone (e.g. he's craving the day when these ride sharing services are ubiquitous).

All of that said, I absolutely *DO* get the point you're all making. And I agree.

I actually did think of this. But if you remember at the time Amazon (I think?) came up with some IP to make themselves unique. Of course since then they have grown so much that that original IP has to be worthless or perhaps it's worth trillions who knows any more.

Where did they come up with 100 billion, lmao doubt this company is even worth 10 billion
100 billion.. maybe the amount of liability insurance they are required to keep?

You know this was just a couple guys looking to cash in on an app because they didn't try to patent the idea, and now they have competition in Lyft

Lyft is tanking right now..
I think all the early investors will dump Uber stock too once it is on the open market.
They are doing that with Lyft because Lyft is not sustainable. Uber's business works very much the same.

Both their business models are pay the driver more than minimum wage and hope they don't know math and work out what they are really getting paid when they factor in expenses. I am convinced that most people who drive for these either can't do simple math or wouldn't be able to hold a real job so they have to settle for this.

Last edited:

But that online bookstore was actually selling product, and a lot of those 'losses' were due to them investing in expanding their business, you know, the business of selling things, which meant they needed to invest in real estate, product, their online infrastructure, etc etc.

Whats uber? its an application that links a driver to passenger and handles payments. Why are they having such huge scaling loses? As they grow their costs should be going to zero. Their not even like Instagram, WhatsApp, twitter, etc, sites that need to figure out how to make money off its users & ads.

They weren't exactly a loss.. Amazon kept sinking profit back in the company as opposed to parking it in some bank.. (that's what I've gathered last time i looked it up anyway)

Back