Uber Punishing Drivers Who Refuse To Use UberPool

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't understand tactics like this. If a driver turns down ride requests, that's his loss. There is always another car that will happily pick up the slack. Giving drivers "time outs" just seems childish.

Uber has adopted a tactic with its drivers that parents use on misbehaving children: timeouts. Uber drivers who turn down ride requests risk having their workday paused as Uber locks them out of its system for up to 15 minutes. Some drivers wait patiently for the timeout to end. Others just call it quits for the day.

I see both sides to the story.....

The drivers want maximum profitability....and thats understandable to a certain extent. If you have to sit around waiting for people who aren't at the pickup location - drive them 3 blocks that are easily walk-able - and sit at a bunch of stop lights..... and your payout is $5... Something tells me you probably LOST money. This UberPool system can be pretty complex with picking multiple people up and dropping them all off in different locations for a flat rate.

As far as the passengers, they are the customers. Just like how you can't tell someone they won't be served based on their gender, race, etc... I feel the same for uber customers. Hence, the drivers shouldn't have knowledge of the intentions of the customers before accepting it and picking the person up.

The drivers want maximum profitability....and thats understandable to a certain extent. If you have to sit around waiting for people who aren't at the pickup location - drive them 3 blocks that are easily walk-able - and sit at a bunch of stop lights..... and your payout is $5... Something tells me you probably LOST money. This UberPool system can be pretty complex with picking multiple people up and dropping them all off in different locations for a flat rate.

As far as the passengers, they are the customers. Just like how you can't tell someone they won't be served based on their gender, race, etc... I feel the same for uber customers. Hence, the drivers shouldn't have knowledge of the intentions of the customers before accepting it and picking the person up.

I would like a ride from San Fransisco to minoc North Dakota please. oh yea, you cant say no.

I still don't understand how Uber / Lyft drivers are getting away with not telling their Auto Insurance company that they are now a Taxi.

I still don't understand how Uber / Lyft drivers are getting away with not telling their Auto Insurance company that they are now a Taxi.

You don't tell them at all, while on the clock or with a passenger you use ubers insurance. If an accident happens while you have a passenger you notify uber immediately, if you let your private insurance know they will drop you, and you will most likely get flagged in a database. Some insurance companies are starting to offer "hybrid" policies that allow rider sharing at a different rate depending on your market. In essence you would be allowed to use your vehicle commercially and privately.

after maintenance, insurance, gas, and driving all the way back completely unpaid? id say you just made a whopping 2$ an hour.

Eh, who says you can't pick people up along the way? But honestly, given the rates of cab drivers (which is massive compared to uber), I still think it would be a massive payout. It doesn't cost me $3000 in maintenance and gas to drive from Texas to Florida.

A while back, I was in an area where Uber's location services don't work very well. I took on three straight ride requests, and it directed me to places all around this mall area, but I never found any one of those people requesting pickups. It had directed me to a gated apartment complex with no area within a couple blocks where I could pick someone up for the first one. The second directed me to an empty field. the third directed me to a corner of a busy intersection, with no pedestrians in sight. After not finding anyone or even any way to pick someone up at those locations, I reported them as "incorrect address". It wasn't until hours later that I figured out those rides might have been from people in the mall, and Uber just couldn't assign an address to their pickup correctly.

Well, for the next three days, I got very few rides. So few that they didn't even cover my gas burned driving around trying to find more rides. They definitely punish drivers for things, in my case something out of my control. I quit driving for them for the last couple weeks. I may go back to it because I need money badly, but I'm not going to be very forgiving to them over this.

You don't tell them at all, while on the clock or with a passenger you use ubers insurance. If an accident happens while you have a passenger you notify uber immediately, if you let your private insurance know they will drop you, and you will most likely get flagged in a database. Some insurance companies are starting to offer "hybrid" policies that allow rider sharing at a different rate depending on your market. In essence you would be allowed to use your vehicle commercially and privately.
You also don't have to tell the insurance company that an accident occurred while driving for Uber, just that an accident occurred. Uber isn't a taxi service. People can't just flag you down for a ride. They have to use the app. The "Uber" variable in an accident isn't something that matters. Uber is just facilitating giving someone a ride, and you get compensation for it. That's not a taxi.

Considering the massive payout... I would smile and say get in.

after maintenance, insurance, gas, and driving all the way back completely unpaid? id say you just made a whopping 2$ an hour.

27h and 1800 miles or so... Without stops this isn't that much money...

Time: 27 * 60 * .15 = $243

Mileage: 1800 * .90 = $1620

Booking fee: $1

$1864 minus Uber's take, then minus Taxes, that's not really a lot of money to drive 3600 miles round trip and take a good 3 days out of your week (not including sleep)...

Wondering if they tested "the carrot" option (money talks) before deciding to go with "the stick."

honestly it makes sense to me. If somebody keeps turning down passengers whey keep trying to give them more? If you call a plumber because your pump is leaking and he tells you he will be there in 2 hours and doesn't show only to tell you he will be there tomorrow then continues to blow you off day after day are you going to sit by and keep waiting for him while telling everyone you know to use that guy? Fuck no. Same here, if as a passenger you are blown off and not picked up over and over again you are going to start using a different service. So the only way to stop that is to punish those that keep refusing fairs or not showing up to fairs by no longer offering then rides for awhile.

You also don't have to tell the insurance company that an accident occurred while driving for Uber, just that an accident occurred. Uber isn't a taxi service. People can't just flag you down for a ride. They have to use the app. The "Uber" variable in an accident isn't something that matters. Uber is just facilitating giving someone a ride, and you get compensation for it. That's not a taxi.

You obviously don't know anything about insurance...you think your passenger won't tell if they're injured? Which is what you really have to worry about. The car repairs ain't shit compared to the medical expenses for the insurance company or yourself if you're found liable when your insurance claim is denied. Using your vehicle for commercial purposes vs. personal is absolutely a variable to any insurance company.

27h and 1800 miles or so... Without stops this isn't that much money...

Time: 27 * 60 * .15 = $243

Mileage: 1800 * .90 = $1620

Booking fee: $1

$1864 minus Uber's take, then minus Taxes, that's not really a lot of money to drive 3600 miles round trip and take a good 3 days out of your week (not including sleep)...
All hypothetical as this would never happen, but if you slept in your car and drove a Prius, that would be equivalent to making ~$140k / year, before fees (20-30%) and taxes (assuming you claim taxes). Not bad.

honestly it makes sense to me. If somebody keeps turning down passengers whey keep trying to give them more? If you call a plumber because your pump is leaking and he tells you he will be there in 2 hours and doesn't show only to tell you he will be there tomorrow then continues to blow you off day after day are you going to sit by and keep waiting for him while telling everyone you know to use that guy? Fuck no. Same here, if as a passenger you are blown off and not picked up over and over again you are going to start using a different service. So the only way to stop that is to punish those that keep refusing fairs or not showing up to fairs by no longer offering then rides for awhile.

You obviously don't know how horrible uber pool is or lyft line.

So Uber started by allowing people to basically be taxis, now with Uberpool they're basically wanting them to be buses.

Pretty sure Uber has said they are a ride sharing service not a for hire/livery company.

Uber says their drivers are independent contractors not employees.

Just like how you can't tell someone they won't be served based on their gender, race, etc... I feel the same for uber customers. Hence, the drivers shouldn't have knowledge of the intentions of the customers before accepting it and picking the person up.

You are thinking that doing trades based in race gender and other personal trait is the same as the details of the product? This has nothing to do with you denying a person, this is denying the trade.
Yeah totally racism they didn't have the product in the color i wanted...

They could definitely pay their drivers a bit more on UberPool fares and still keep the same profit margin as standard UberX. This is definitely an Uber cash grab.

Uber says their drivers are independent contractors not employees.

What is your point? Is my example not that of a contractor? If you hire a plumber or any other contractor and they don't do the job that you are hiring them to do, then you stop trying to give them business and give it to somebody else. If I hire an electrician to wire up stuff and they don't do it and I have to hire others to do the work, I will not hire the first guy again. If I hire a moving company to move the contents of my house and they don't show up, I will not hire them to move me again. If a contractor doesn't do the work that you are giving them then you go to somebody that will. Makes perfect sense to me. If a contract driver repeatedly refuses to take jobs that you offer them why would you keep trying to offer then work when you know that this other person will take the job every time?

What is your point? Is my example not that of a contractor? If you hire a plumber or any other contractor and they don't do the job that you are hiring them to do, then you stop trying to give them business and give it to somebody else. If I hire an electrician to wire up stuff and they don't do it and I have to hire others to do the work, I will not hire the first guy again. If I hire a moving company to move the contents of my house and they don't show up, I will not hire them to move me again. If a contractor doesn't do the work that you are giving them then you go to somebody that will. Makes perfect sense to me. If a contract driver repeatedly refuses to take jobs that you offer them why would you keep trying to offer then work when you know that this other person will take the job every time?

That's not a comparable comparsion. In your scenario when you call the plumber he would flat out say no on the phone and hangup, that's what drivers are doing when they deny a uber pool. It's not something that should be punished.

This image came to my head as I was nodding off yesterday
So I made it happen

uber.png

Back