Uber Gets Tubed in London

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
This is likely the biggest crock of steaming BS that I will read today. With all the "things" that happen in London lately, Uber is now considered too dangerous to the public and it has lost its license to act as a cab service. This will impact 3.5 million folks that use Uber, and over 40,000 Uber drivers. I don't know, I can't think of it right now, but I know there is something else going on in London that has been having a bigger impact on its citizens' safety...I just can't put my finger on it. Thanks cageymaru.

Uber will not be issued a new private hire licence, Transport for London (TfL) has said. TfL concluded the ride-hailing app firm was not fit and proper to hold a London private hire operator licence. It said it took the decision on the grounds of "public safety and security implications".

Meh, Uber showed up and flouted labour laws, licensing laws, and insurance laws, much like they do in every market they enter. This was some petty revenge for their bad behaviour.

The City of London is fooling themselves if they think Uber-like companies are going away. All the loony taxi rules (London has some beauties) in the world won't close Pandora's box. Get the rules up to date and start working with these companies or spend the foreseeable future trying to ban change.

Change is the only universal constant.

Just read the comments on any article at theguardian.com and you'll soon realize that nation is hosed if these people ever hold sway.

TfL & parliament set rules for Uber, Uber did not follow said rules in london, license is not renewed... who would have thought
TfL said that it had rejected the company’s application to renew its licence because “Uber’s approach and conduct demonstrate a lack of corporate responsibility” in relation to reporting serious criminal offences, obtaining medical certificates and driver background checks.

The licensing body also said it was concerned by Uber’s use of Greyball, software that can be used to block regulatory bodies from gaining full access to its app and undertaking regulatory or law enforcement duties.

Khan said he fully supported the decision to revoke Uber’s licence, saying all companies needed to “play by the rules”.

Uber? Rules? They don't apply to Uber because they are well... Uber. They are exceptional. They pay shit and abuse their workers. A pox on them and their exploitative kind. And good on the City of London for standing up to them.

I wonder if this also has something to do with it..
  • Police figures show sex attacks involving Uber drivers up 50 per cent in a year
  • From February 2015 and February 2016, there were 32 claims made against firm's drivers in London
  • In the past 12 months to February 2017, that figure shot up to 48 alleged attacks
  • But Uber said such incidents are 'incredibly rare' and result in driver bannings

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...linked-one-sex-attack-week.html#ixzz4tQmpzPSX
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Meh. Uber can really suck. And when I'm in London I either tube it, or use their iconic cabs. And those guys know where the hell they're going without a fucking phone/GPS. The bar for being a London cab driver is super high. The testing is bonkers. Don't mistake a London cabbie for the poseurs we have in the states. When I was a kid in the 9th grade I lived in Germany (military brat) I spent spring break in England geeking out on history. In London I got in a cab and asked the guy to take me to the best game shop in the city. He asked what kind and I replied "D&D, Traveler, that sort of thing" and he dropped me off at this place that was fucking AMAZING.

You don't get that from a fucking Uber driver.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/10/t-magazine/london-taxi-test-knowledge.html

40,000 out of a city of 17M - Cry me a damn river considering most of these drivers are dual licensed. London black cabs are expensive though (LHR to Downtown - Union Jack ran £200 back in 2010, had to take that when LHR spazzed out over 1" of snow and the Tube completely shut down) - but in a pinch if the Tube isn't running they are an option. Probably doesn't help Uber's case though that they are such an arrogant company and don't really have good relations with any municipal government.

This thread has produced the sycophantic thought of the day for sure: HOW CAN WE REGULATE ANYTHING WHEN BROWN PEOPLE!!

The Bureau of Alternative Facts and Propaganda sure is making her satellites work overtime.

Uber? Rules? They don't apply to Uber because they are well... Uber. They are exceptional. They pay shit and abuse their workers. A pox on them and their exploitative kind. And good on the City of London for standing up to them.

You sound like someone that never uses Uber or any car service. I live in Portland and my life, quite frankly, would be way more difficult without Uber.

Easy to say "Get rid of them!" when you don't fucking use them. Quit being so selfish and realize that Uber just isn't some way for drunk sluts to get to and from the club. People count on this shit.

Aren't there other services like Lyft? Not much a problem for them to swoop in and actually follow the rules and regulations. Also not a problem for the Uber registered drivers to join the other services. Unless Uber themselves don't like it.

:whistle:

You sound like someone that never uses Uber or any car service. I live in Portland and my life, quite frankly, would be way more difficult without Uber.

Easy to say "Get rid of them!" when you don't fucking use them. Quit being so selfish and realize that Uber just isn't some way for drunk sluts to get to and from the club. People count on this shit.

Because before Uber, it was like the Dark Ages and shit.

If Uber is so important to you it's because you simply got used to it and changed things around it. Perhaps life is better because of it, that's cool. But it don't mean that if Uber went tits up that it would herald the Apocalypse.

I don't have anything against Uber, Uber isn't even on the RADAR here in my little town, no Uber. All I am saying is that their was life before Uber and they guy isn't totally wrong about Uber playing the "I'm Special" card whenever the government tries to make them act like what they are, a business that has to play by the rules like all other businesses.

Aren't there other services like Lyft? Not much a problem for them to swoop in and actually follow the rules and regulations. Also not a problem for the Uber registered drivers to join the other services. Unless Uber themselves don't like it.

:whistle:

Actually you have a good point. If Uber can't operate it doesn't mean these drivers can't still work and drive. They just won't be able to do it using Uber as their front end. They have to do it like all the other non-Uber Minicab drivers in London.

London has the best cabs in the world. Hands down, not even close to comparison anywhere. They know the City better than anyone. They are a little more expensive than an Uber, and a little less available than an Uber if you're outside the popular North/central London area, that is true. But London also happens to have a world class public transit system.

If Uber wants to do its thing there they can play by the rules....but since playing by the rules isn't really Uber's business model, sucks for them.

Now here in SF, where our yellow cabs and pre-Uber day taxi service was a total fucking joke, and our public transit system is a mess and never an adequate alternative if you needed a private cab, yeah they dug their own grave. Uber was just so much better than anything else that there was no choice but to adapt to them. But London is a different story.

Reactions: naib
like this
This thread has produced the sycophantic thought of the day for sure: HOW CAN WE REGULATE ANYTHING WHEN BROWN PEOPLE!!

The Bureau of Alternative Facts and Propaganda sure is making her satellites work overtime.

All other government bodies and departments should shut down and not conduct their business, since I'm sure their Transportation Department lawyers and analysts are a shoe-in for the next real life role of Jack Bauer.

Yes, get rid of the leeches. I don't live in an urban area. Uber doesn't exist here and probably never will. I have a truck. Otherwise we have things called "taxis" which are regulated and run by companies who pay their workers, not people running a side hustle. Selfish? Not at all. Just pay people what they are worth and don't support a company that has no intention of following the law.

Back