Uber Announces Beacon

HardOCP News

[H] News
Damn it, I thought this announcement said that Uber drivers were going to guide passengers to their cars with BACON. Now I'm hungry. Nothing would lure you into a stranger's vehicle faster than bacon.

That’s why today, we’re excited to unveil Uber Beacon, a device that goes on a driver’s windshield and uses color-pairing technology to help drivers and riders more quickly connect at night, particularly at crowded venues. With this technology, riders can personalize their pickup by selecting from an endless number of colors for the Beacon to glow on their driver’s vehicle. And it’s instantly recognizable with the same design as the rider app icon.

not a bad idea....

I don't use or do Uber; But I usually pick up my parents-in-law - and cant tell you how many times someone walked up to my car to see if I was their Uber....

I drove for them for a little while, but it was definitely NOT worth the time put in. I had constant chains of short <3 mile rides in the middle of downtown Denver that paid $3 for a 30-45 minute trip. Even with long trips, it was barely enough to pay for my gas because of the stupid short trips. In addition, there are quite a few riders out there who think we have to pick them up wherever they are, which can get us hit with $50 fines for stopping in a non-parking area, like the middle of the 16th street mall crosswalk. Driving for Uber is a losing proposition.

Anyone going to claim their color now? Gorbachev birthmark red? Aerola pink? Ex wife's heart black?

now I want bacon also.. and you actually said bacon so it's no misunderstanding.. BACON!!

Back