UAC/Windows Defender blocking startup programs

Billious

n00b
Hello all

I have two programs (Bionic manager to run Eienstien@Home and Riva Tuner) which are prevented from running at Start-up (I.E. I have to manually give them permission to run) by Vista's UAC/Win. Defender.

Please can someone advise me how I configure Vista so that these programs aren’t blocked on start-up, without disabling UAC or Defender? I've tried going into the Defender configuration settings for each program but the 'Enable' option is greyed out.

TIA

B

What I did is created a Scheduled Task for my programs to run at startup. It works great!

What I did is created a Scheduled Task for my programs to run at startup. It works great!

How did you do that???? I have the same problem with RivaTuner and that blocked program pop-up just plain pisses me off.

Please explain that scheduled task in simple to follow instructions, because I am a Vista idiot. I only use Vista for gaming (because it's the only OS for DX10 and triple sli unfortunately) so I really don't know my way around Vista like I should.

Thanks.

How did you do that???? I have the same problem with RivaTuner and that blocked program pop-up just plain pisses me off.

Please explain that scheduled task in simple to follow instructions, because I am a Vista idiot. I only use Vista for gaming (because it's the only OS for DX10 and triple sli unfortunately) so I really don't know my way around Vista like I should.

Thanks.

This explains it in detail: http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=616

Thanks.
The guy on that web page looks like he needs a low cholesterol diet.:eek:

Thanks.
The guy on that web page looks like he needs a low cholesterol diet.:eek:

It's not nice to talk about people. With that said...... He looks like a thumb! lmao

Thanks for the link poster, good read there.

You know, the *BEST* way to do this is to use the Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit to create a policy, or application fix, for each of the applications having a problem. I've done this for my applications and it works great. No more approving UAC for stuff I run every day.

You know, the *BEST* way to do this is to use the Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit to create a policy, or application fix, for each of the applications having a problem. I've done this for my applications and it works great. No more approving UAC for stuff I run every day.

Also a good point. I have played with this before, and it does work.

This caused me more problems at best (I was using it in conjunction with RivaTuner). Would pretty much leave RivaTuner unable to function (lot of options grayed out).

This caused me more problems at best (I was using it in conjunction with RivaTuner). Would pretty much leave RivaTuner unable to function (lot of options grayed out).

You have to really know what you're doing, but you can tweak pretty much any portion of UAC, or the way an application behaves. It's definitely worth reading the manual on that one, for sure! :)

Also a good point. I have played with this before, and it does work.

Doesn't work if you want the app to run as admin without UAC prompt which happens to be what most ppl want to get rid of.

As far as I can tell by using it all it does is give you more detailed options over the sp2, win98 etc compatibility profiles, available when you right click over an app.

Doesn't work if you want the app to run as admin without UAC prompt which happens to be what most ppl want to get rid of.

As far as I can tell by using it all it does is give you more detailed options over the sp2, win98 etc compatibility profiles, available when you right click over an app.

No, it actually does work. I still don't bother with it because I disable UAC, but in my testing, it worked just fine. Maybe we aren't talking about the same thing? I will dig up some more info later, when I have time.

Go here: http://www.winvistaclub.com/f6.html Scroll to "How to Disable UAC for certain applications only." This will get rid of the prompt for that app.

No, it actually does work. I still don't bother with it because I disable UAC, but in my testing, it worked just fine. Maybe we aren't talking about the same thing? I will dig up some more info later, when I have time.

Go here: http://www.winvistaclub.com/f6.html Scroll to "How to Disable UAC for certain applications only." This will get rid of the prompt for that app.

I tried that 3 times for SpeedFan, doesn't work. I tried RunAsInvoker, RunAsAdmin, RunAsHighest. None could get SpeedFan running as Admin without triggering UAC.

try it with SpeedFan for yourself as it can't read SMART data for HDD temps without running as admin.

Back