UAC and Samsung Magician on every startup

Tych-0

Gawd
I just installed an 840 Pro and the Magician software. Every frigging time I start Windows I get the UAC warning for it. Does Magician need to start every time, is there any benefit to having it running all the time? I can't seem to find any place in the software to prevent it from loading on startup. I don't really want to resort to msconfig, especially if there is some benefit from having it start along with the OS. Can / should I disable it?

You don't really need it to start with your machine. I think i've only used magician's features twice, to over provision my SSD, and to use their "performance optimization" feature. Things like TRIM and Garbage Collection are OS handled so i don't see a reason to keep Magician starting.

I also think you can modify the exe or startup shortcut to run as admin so it wont trigger a UAC prompt.

Is there a way to stop it from starting up other than uninstalling it or mscofig?

Go to the Windows Startup Folder and remove the shortcut for Samsung Magician. It doesn't need to be there.

In Windows 7 and 8, the location of the Startup Folder for an individual user is:

C:\users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

For all users:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Sweet, that worked, thank you. I'm assuming there are no detrimental effects to doing this. I can always open it when I want to.

I've also noticed samsung magician will wake a computer like every 15 min for some reason as well. Run one time to do your optimizations and then you can just disable it.

Back