U3007WFP or U3011 or U3014 or U3415W - Gaming & Movies

rlakhani11

n00b
Hello folks,

As in the title, which one of these four best fit my requirement. Not a competitive/online FPS player so response time and input lag don't matter much. My only concern is color/picture quality and power consumption.

The best options currently available to me are these dells, but, is HP LP3065 better than any of these in terms of picture quality or power consumption.

Thanks.

Last edited:
30" IPS are terrible, even compared to the majority of budget 21.5-24" IPS available for under 200$, and they are especially terrible for watching movies. Ultrade-wide/21:9 34" monitors are the same height as 27" 16:9 monitors, but are 50% wider.

With 30" one has to choose between CCFL back-lit panels with very grainy matte coatings, slow pixel response times (compared to newer monitors), over-saturated and inaccurate wide gamut colours in the case of the single input options, and mediocre colour modes with locked colour controls in the case of the multi-input options with sRGB modes like the 3011. All of the LED back-lit 30" suffer from industry leading (in a bad way) overshoot ghosting aside from the HP Z30i which is terrible, and the NEC PA302W which is the only decent 30" ever created, but all 30" suffer from far, far more IPS glow (white glow which shows up in the bottom corners when viewed from less than 120cdm/4ft away) than most AHVA/IPS/PLS panels when viewing dark content, and are a waste of money compared to the superior 16:9 monitors available.

The BenQ BL3201PH or PT and Samsung U32E850R are the best 32" monitor available, especially for owners of powerful AMD graphics cards since they support Free-Sync. 32" AHVA/IGZO/PLS panels suffer from less glow/contrast shift than the majority of AHVA/IPS/PLS, TN and VA panels, and can be considered glow free when viewed from 45-60cm/1.5-2ft away (assuming the panels brightness is not cranked in a dark room) versus 120cm/4ft for a 30" IPS panel. The ultra-wide IPS panels all use frame-less casings which are not actually frame-less since they have inner black bezels which ruin the perceived black depth (example), and 4k monitors can bet set to lower, ultra-wide resolutions (3840x2160 to 3840x1440) if one wants to increase their frame-rate in games. The BenQ and Samsung also easily beat the Dell 34" in terms of gaming performance (they both have faster pixel response times with less overshoot ghosting and lower input lag). Best Reviewed 32" 4k Monitors.

Last edited:
Thanks for your great insight NCX.

But as I mentioned, where I live, I don't have any other options available. So I'm stuck with only the aforementioned ones.

Please share your opinion specific to those models.

Thanks.

But as I mentioned, where I live, I don't have any other options available. So I'm stuck with only the aforementioned ones.

You typed that the Dells were the best options which is not the same as the only options. Anyway, the U3415W is much, much better than all of the 30" monitors in existence aside from the NEC PA302W. Even budget Dell monitors like the U2415H are much better than their 30" monitors along with the HP LP3065. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u3415w.htm

Are you 100% positive none of the quality 32" 4k monitors available? What about ordering the Qnix UHD 325 from eBay? It's also better than the U3415W.

Oh yes. My mistake I'm sorry couldn't somehow notice it.

And I was already leaning towards 3415 because of its looks and it's very surprisingly much cheaper than 3014. May be I'm not aware of something 3014 is capable of.

I can't. I'm in Pakistan and these are my only options unfortunately :).

Last edited:
Not meaning to distrust NCX's opinion, but I've never seen so much hate towards 30" monitors. Are there any contrasting opinions out there?

Yeah exactly. I respect NCX's knowledge and awareness on the matter but I'll base my decision on the number of opinions in-favor of or countering him.

I like NCX too. Very cool guy and he knows what he talk. I was before meeting him VA panel fan and he made me IPS fan and explained me well why VA isn't good and have more problems than IPS.

I'm sorry which one of the aforementioned is that and why?

PolarFox claims every LED back-lit monitor suffers from a strong blue tint. compared to his ancient, uncalibrated TN panel from 2006 which has unknown colour accuracy.

Google the following:

Dell 3014 overshoot ghosting
grainy matte coating (applies to all CCFL back-lit 30" which includes the HP LP3065, 3007 and 3011)
wide gamut glow or 30" IPS glow
wide gamut colour over-saturation

Everything thing I posted is a fact and is backed up by measurements (colorimetric and oscilloscope) and lots of photographic evidence, but compiling everything in threads like these is a waste of time since 30" IPS tend to be ignored now that their are plenty of vastly superior 32" 4k, 27" 1440p and 34" 21:9 monitors are available for the same price.

Last edited:
Bullocks NCX

I go to LAN parties and have a Dell 3014. The guys with their 4k and 144hz gaming monitors regularly come over to my desk and say my monitor looks much better than theirs. I agree.

Dell 3014 is a reference monitor.

OP only has to web search to see the 3014 is held in high regards. I wouldn't have posted, except your vile towards the 3014 is misplaced.

I haven't seen a 27" monitor or 24" monitor I prefer over my 30" at any of the LAN parties I've attended, every few months. The ms time on ips doesn't bother me, and I still am competitive with the guys who play on the 'gaming' monitors. If I have any complaint about the 3014, its that there is some ips backlight glow, but I've never personally seen a better monitor, not even from the 4k units, so I'll stick with the 3014 for now. I've not yet seen the curved 34" dell, but that one does raise my curiosity.

Don't take any single users word for it, read reviews out there they are plentiful. The 3014 is a reference monitor, a standard, a benchmark, if you will.
http://www.google.com/search?q=dell+3014+review

I go to LAN parties and have a Dell 3014. The guys with their 4k and 144hz gaming monitors regularly come over to my desk and say my monitor looks much better than theirs. I agree.

That's because you and your friends don't know realize that the wide gamut 3014 is vastly over-saturating colours while also disrespecting the time and effort game creators put into making games look the way they do.

Example: Left=non colour manged wide gamut monitor displaying consumer media. 30" IPS glow versus 1440p BL2710PT from 2013 which suffers from more glow than most newer 27" 1440p monitors, and far more glow than 32" 4k monitors.

The ONLY area of performance the 3014 excels in is overshoot ghosting...oh, and it has an improperly functioning hardware calibration program, an sRGB mode with locked colour controls and a game mode which uses the wrong colour space for games. The 3014 is a 1000$ embarrassment, along with most 30" IPS panels which is why it's great that all of the manufacturers have stopped making 30" IPS.

Last edited:
I own a 3008wfp that I've been very happy with since day one. Reading the display forum seemingly ever user's experience with every monitor sounds like a tour in Afghanistan.

I don't know what makes 30"ers so ungodly expensive, because it seems like they don't really have any of the latest and greatest tech, curve, 4k, *sync, 144hz, ultra low refresh etc

I own a 3008wfp that I've been very happy with since day one. Reading the display forum seemingly ever user's experience with every monitor sounds like a tour in Afghanistan.

I don't know what makes 30"ers so ungodly expensive, because it seems like they don't really have any of the latest and greatest tech, curve, 4k, *sync, 144hz, ultra low refresh etc

I still have my 3008W and it still runs like a champ. I will switch to that monitor sometimes to play some old school games that won't run in 4k.

Now consider this. All these used ones, 3007WFP-HC,3008WFP, 3011 and LP3065 are $150, $250, $300 and $190 respectively which are attractive prices considering the used market here. But the fact that they're used, kind of keeps creating doubts as to how they were used/handled by their previous owners and what details, if any, they're not revealing to me just to make their sale.

@ Archaea:
I searched for 3014 and it indeed is very much popular and talked highly of. The only turn-off for me is its price which is $380 more than 3415. It costs $1250 as compare to 3415 which is $870 which in turn makes it quite a good candidate.

@ZeqOBpf6:
The only reason I can think of for 30"ers still being more expensive is because may be they're targeted mainly towards the professional users and not gamers.

Actually I'm very much inclined towards 3415 but here too there is one reluctancy factor. I'm skeptical about the 21:9 aspect ratio. I mean how are today's video content and games catching up with this format? Are the movies going to be displayed on this with black vertical bars? Same goes with games. That is, how are their compatibility with 21:9? What do you think NCX?

Last edited:
All 30"= far more glow and poor contrast when not viewed from >120cm/4ft away or in a very bright room versus most budget AHVA/IPS/PLS and the Dell U3415W
3007=wide gamut=over-saturated and inaccurate colour, grainy matte coating, no colour controls and poor colour presets compared to most newer monitors
LP3065=CCFL back-lit=grainy matte coating, no colour controls and poor colours compared to most newer monitors
3008=grainy matte coating, wide gamut colours except in the sRGB mode which has locked colour controls and offers poor colours compared to most budget IPS
3011=grainy matte coating, wide gamut colours except in the sRGB mode which has locked colour controls and offers poor colours compared to most budget IPS
3014=very obvious overshoot ghosting and wide gamut colours except in the sRGB mode which has locked colour controls and offers poor colours compared to most budget IPS

Left=non colour manged wide gamut monitor displaying consumer media versus normal monitor. 30" IPS Glow Comparisons.
Coating Comparison Compilation: The 3014 uses a non grainy matte coating while the 30Q5 Pro and SH30QHDM use the same coating as the other CCFL back-lit 30" IPS (LP3065, Dell 3007, 3008, 3011). Notice how blurry the pixels of the 30Q5 Pro and SH30QHDM look compared to the 3014. The matte coating CCFL back-lit 30" use dulls colours and makes white and light colours look sparkly and grainy. This photo is from a review by =DEAD= who also reviewed the U3415W which he, along with most other reviews claim does not use a grainy matte coating, or suffer from the crystal effect. There's a reason LG no longer makes panels with the same coating that their CCFL back-lit 30" use anymore.

The U3415W also suffers from obvious overshoot ghosting, but it has proper, non-wide gamut colours, an overdrive setting which is free from overshoot ghosting and suffers from less glow than all of the 30." Most games support 21:9 resolutions, some of those which don't can be fixed, and those which can't will be displayed with vertical letterbox bars on the sides. 3840x1440 Experience by PC Monitors.

Last edited:
PolarFox claims every LED back-lit monitor suffers from a strong blue tint. compared to his ancient, uncalibrated TN panel from 2006 which has unknown colour accuracy.

It is calibrated to its native white point (50/50/50 rgb gains in osd) which appears to be perfectly neutral to me. For each and every w-led display I have to decrease blue channel by at least 20% to make it passable. Is this a coincidence? Some have decent blue light filtering, some are unfixable. Shouldn't a displays that requires less adjustments be better?

Most games support 21:9 resolutions, some of those which don't can be fixed, and those which can't will be displayed with vertical letterbox bars on the sides. 3840x1440 Experience by PC Monitors.

This link you gave mentions an ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater 6 player for getting rid of black bars in movies and filling the screen while maintaining the original aspect ratio but it could distort the image. Do you happen to have a first-hand experience of this happening (upscaling from 2560x1440 or 2560x1080 to 3440x1440)?

Last edited:
The ONLY area of performance the 3014 excels in is overshoot ghosting...oh, and it has an improperly functioning hardware calibration program, an sRGB mode with locked colour controls and a game mode which uses the wrong colour space for games. The 3014 is a 1000$ embarrassment, along with most 30" IPS panels which is why it's great that all of the manufacturers have stopped making 30" IPS.

Any idea why 32" is the magic number while the panels just below them all, for the lack of a better word, sucks compared to them?

EDIT: Does this also apply to all 32" IPS based panels, or only 4k ones?

NCX, 3415 could be back in stock in a couple of days time. I'd like to know what you have to say about my last query. If all's good, I'll pull the trigger on it.

All 30"= far more glow and poor contrast when not viewed from >120cm/4ft away or in a very bright room versus most budget AHVA/IPS/PLS and the Dell U3415W
3007=wide gamut=over-saturated and inaccurate colour, grainy matte coating, no colour controls and poor colour presets compared to most newer monitors
LP3065=CCFL back-lit=grainy matte coating, no colour controls and poor colours compared to most newer monitors
3008=grainy matte coating, wide gamut colours except in the sRGB mode which has locked colour controls and offers poor colours compared to most budget IPS
3011=grainy matte coating, wide gamut colours except in the sRGB mode which has locked colour controls and offers poor colours compared to most budget IPS
3014=very obvious overshoot ghosting and wide gamut colours except in the sRGB mode which has locked colour controls and offers poor colours compared to most budget IPS

Left=non colour manged wide gamut monitor displaying consumer media versus normal monitor. 30" IPS Glow Comparisons.
Coating Comparison Compilation: The 3014 uses a non grainy matte coating while the 30Q5 Pro and SH30QHDM use the same coating as the other CCFL back-lit 30" IPS (LP3065, Dell 3007, 3008, 3011). Notice how blurry the pixels of the 30Q5 Pro and SH30QHDM look compared to the 3014. The matte coating CCFL back-lit 30" use dulls colours and makes white and light colours look sparkly and grainy. This photo is from a review by =DEAD= who also reviewed the U3415W which he, along with most other reviews claim does not use a grainy matte coating, or suffer from the crystal effect. There's a reason LG no longer makes panels with the same coating that their CCFL back-lit 30" use anymore.

The U3415W also suffers from obvious overshoot ghosting, but it has proper, non-wide gamut colours, an overdrive setting which is free from overshoot ghosting and suffers from less glow than all of the 30." Most games support 21:9 resolutions, some of those which don't can be fixed, and those which can't will be displayed with vertical letterbox bars on the sides. 3840x1440 Experience by PC Monitors.

Are you just copying and pasting this stuff here?:rolleyes:

I own both and they're vastly different. My favorite is 3007wfp-hc because it is simple, has no menu with gazillion options that I will never use. Yes, it's grainy but even at 0 brightness it's still to bright for me. It consumes 60 watts at 0 brightness. All my Dells are still working great after 6 years.

I just went through your posts. You have to stop with thread crapping regarding 30 inch monitors.

Last edited:
I came to this thread to get some info on a 3007WFP-HC (quite old ~2008?) I saw on Craigslist for $200, now I'm confused. :(

Edit: Ended up getting the 3007WFP-HC for $160...this monitor is sweeeeeeeeet! I see a little blemish on the left side of the screen when the screen s blue but other than that, pretty damn satisfied. I guess anything newer will somehow be just better.

Edit: Ended up getting the 3007WFP-HC for $160...this monitor is sweeeeeeeeet! I see a little blemish on the left side of the screen when the screen s blue but other than that, pretty damn satisfied. I guess anything newer will somehow be just better.

Better is all relative. This is a great monitor. It uses 60 watts at lowest settings - still way too bright for me, which is fantastic considering how old it is. Size/resolution wise it is perfect. I would love to see more 27" 2560x1600 monitors on the market though.

Better is all relative. This is a great monitor. It uses 60 watts at lowest settings - still way too bright for me, which is fantastic considering how old it is. Size/resolution wise it is perfect. I would love to see more 27" 2560x1600 monitors on the market though.

True...I guess I mean "better" in specs but ultimately still up to the user.

Having this Dell 3007WFP-HC for a few days I'm really satisfied with this purchase. The darl spot blemish on the left side of the screen is tolerable for the price I paid. I have the brightness set to max and don't feel like I'm missing any of the non-existent color calibration settings. Whenever it comes time to upgrade this monitor I'm definitely getting a 30" or higher. I upgraded from a 22" Dell 2209WA so the space increase is just tremendous. Feel like I'm living a computer dream.

Hopefully my experience will help the OP with their decision.

True...I guess I mean "better" in specs but ultimately still up to the user.

Having this Dell 3007WFP-HC for a few days I'm really satisfied with this purchase. The darl spot blemish on the left side of the screen is tolerable for the price I paid. I have the brightness set to max and don't feel like I'm missing any of the non-existent color calibration settings. Whenever it comes time to upgrade this monitor I'm definitely getting a 30" or higher. I upgraded from a 22" Dell 2209WA so the space increase is just tremendous. Feel like I'm living a computer dream.

Hopefully my experience will help the OP with their decision.

I would lower that brightness. At lowest settings 3007WFP-HC consumes around 60 watts, at maximum it's around 170 watts. It is still way to bright for my at lowest.

2560x1600 is my favorite resolution. I wished there were more 30 inch products to choose from.

It is calibrated to its native white point (50/50/50 rgb gains in osd) which appears to be perfectly neutral to me.
I almost knocked myself unconscious face-palming to this comment.

The only one using substantiated facts to make their point is NCX, the rest is personal preference and/or lack of broader field of view (figuratively). I also think my CCFL IPS 32" screen is the best in the world because it's not crap and I don't have experience with many >600$ screens, but that shouldn't make it a good screen in the world, just in my limited field of view.

So which monitor should I purchase if Im looking for a great all purpose monitor in the 27 to 32 inch range @ 1440p. I don't need it to be the best in one area or another. Just good in all areas cause thats what I use my monitor for. HDTV, Netflix Streaming, Gaming and surfing. Is there something out there that will give me satisfaction in all areas?

Back