U2715H - Acceptable backlight uniformity?

FMX

Gawd
What do you think? Top right corner is obviously darker than bottom right. The bottom has a noticeably darker bar near the edge (tapers off like a gradient)

Would you live with it or try to get a better panel? I realize perfection doesn't exist (especially sub $1k).

lJYcKE5.jpg

Last edited:
This actually looks like a decently uniform one. I'm quite sure you won't be able to get a better u2715h. Maybe in 4-5 tries if you are lucky.

What about IPS glow? Is this acceptable? Me thinks not. Also, it's nearly as bad even in a lit room. It shows up during normal web browsing use on dark pages.

Yh1q0Aq.jpg

Thats terrible. Ask for a refund.
What app did you used for showing black/white?

I thought it was bad as it was the first thing I noticed when powering it up for the first time. Never noticed it that bad on my Thunderbolt display or AOC 27". I just found a black screen on Chrome and made it full screen.

that's worse than mine was - it was the worst at the bottom right, but the rest of the corners were decent. i ended up returning it and went for a refurbed s2440l from a local microcenter. you can also fine them online if you're willing to risk it. the blacks are great, and no glow either. it's not quite as sharp as the s2415h, but the trade off for the blacks are worth it in my opinion. it reminds me of my old crt monitor, but hd. glossy as well btw.

Dell don't seem to be doing a good job with their ultrasharp quality control I ended up sending my 25" U2515h back

Damn! It's so frustrating because what are the other options? The Dell has the best design IMO. The next closest monitor is the Asus PB278Q - but I wonder if it will really be any better. I do gaming and light photo and productivity work so the U2715H was in theory the best choice for me. I'm not willing to take the risk on the XB270HU and the PG279Q is taking too long! Not really wanting to put out $800 for monitors that will likely have QC issues as well either.

I was going to live with it and try to get it replaced - but I really don't want to waste my time. After comparing the screen on my 13" rMBP (may not be the best comparison, but it has hardly any glow at all and is very uniform) I am just hopeless on the Dell.

I'm about to give up on PC gaming all together (not that it's the computer's fault). There is no one monitor that does it all and the QC on about all of them is horrible. It sucks because every time you think you've found the perfect monitor for you, it ends up having a flaw that breaks the entire deal. I may try the S2415H for a few days just to see how it is. I've read it suffers pretty badly from heavy IPS/backlight glow too though.

Last edited:
Damn! It's so frustrating because what are the other options?

Eizo EV2750 is already shipping to the stores. It's based around the same panel with supposedly way better quality control than anything on the market in this category.

I've cancelled my u2750h order and am waiting for reviews of this eizo.

Buying monitors is really frustrating when 90% of display companies think they can get away with literally no quality control what so ever. I'm pretty sure they don't even check if the color settings align with the panels at all, not to mention performing any kind of calibration or checking for significant delta e deviation (>3) which is falsely advertised with the dell ultrasharp monitors factory reports.

Monitor market is a fucking joke.

That EIZO could be the ticket. I actually prefer the design of it too. No online store has any product info though? No preorder?

While I agree that display manufacturers could do a much better job, LCDs just plain suck in general and will always have drawbacks. Even if you eliminate the IPS glow there will still be the terrible contrast and bad uniformity.

I don't disagree. There comes a point where you just have to settle and be happy with what there is. The obvious solution is to stop buying monitors until companies do better but this really isn't a realistic scenario. Buying the QNIX or buying some cheap/cheaper 22-24" IPS seems to be about the only alternatives.

To be fair, the camera makes it appear way worse than it looks to my eye, so I will probably just end up keeping it or maybe trying another one side by side. That EIZO looks promising but it's not out yet and the hell with waiting, I need a monitor now.

Last edited:
I don't disagree. There comes a point where you just have to settle and be happy with what there is. The obvious solution is to stop buying monitors until companies do better but this really isn't a realistic scenario. Buying the QNIX or buying some cheap/cheaper 22-24" IPS seems to be about the only alternatives.

To be fair, the camera makes it appear way worse than it looks to my eye, so I will probably just end up keeping it or maybe trying another one side by side. That EIZO looks promising but it's not out yet and the hell with waiting, I need a monitor now.

QNIX monitors aren't without QC issues; Backlight bleed and on some occasion dead pixels, though definitely not as bad as what you have. EIZO on the other hand I've never had problems with in regards to their IPS panels.

Hard to judge IPS glow from a single picture. Looks normal to me.
Make a video showcasing the panel from different angles. Use a pitch black room and a solid black 0,0,0 fullscreen background.

The uniformity looks very good, though.

Even if you eliminate the IPS glow there will still be bad uniformity.

Then maybe lg should actually match their backlight led's by color temperature and brightness as well as start using direct led arrays for consumer oriented displays to alleviate the uniformity problem?

Aside from poor black levels, there's nothing wrong with IPS, but the cost saving practices to bring the price down have severely undermined it. People want quality IPS, but don't want to pay, that's not gonna work.

That EIZO could be the ticket. I actually prefer the design of it too. No online store has any product info though? No preorder?

First review is up: http://www.alphr.com/technology/1001586/eizo-flexscan-ev2750-review-the-final-word-in-image-quality

- average Delta E of 1.6
- 98.8% sRGB coverage
- 935:1 contrast
- average brightness deviation of 3% with 8% maximum
- very stable color temperature uniformity

Seems quite good. I wonder why it's still not available in stores...it's been out for a few weeks already.

QNIX monitors aren't without QC issues; Backlight bleed and on some occasion dead pixels, though definitely not as bad as what you have. EIZO on the other hand I've never had problems with in regards to their IPS panels.

What I meant is that if you're going to buy crappy LCD tech then you might as well find the cheapest thing possible since they're all going to have issues. Will be giving the EIZO a try, but then the question is, "is a 27" 1440P monitor ever worth $800-900"? I assume that's what the pricing will be. Hopefully much lower.

What I meant is that if you're going to buy crappy LCD tech then you might as well find the cheapest thing possible since they're all going to have issues.

I'm quite sure properly manufactured high end color critical displays don't have any issues, aside from IPS blacks and around 20ms of lag.
They basically get rid of the glow with the polarizer and use color temp/brightness compensation processing to remove any color inconsistencies across the screen. While 3d lut provides extremely accurate calibration, including gamut emulation.

Yeah, but the price disparity and response times are off putting. I mean I don't know in what world a $500 monitor is cheap. People just buy it up and don't complain and nothing ever changes.

Then maybe lg should actually match their backlight led's by color temperature and brightness as well as start using direct led arrays for consumer oriented displays to alleviate the uniformity problem?

Aside from poor black levels, there's nothing wrong with IPS, but the cost saving practices to bring the price down have severely undermined it. People want quality IPS, but don't want to pay, that's not gonna work.

Well how much are we expected to pay for these things then? It's 2015 nobody is gonna shell out $1,000+ to have a 27 inch 1440p IPS with a polarizer, direct led arrays, etc. LCD has been around for quite a while you'd expect manufacturers to start doing these things without charging us an arm and leg for it.

you'd expect manufacturers to start doing these things without charging us an arm and leg for it.

How much these thing would cost to mass produce and how big of an impact they would make on sales? I think everything has been done to reduce the price of the IPS displays in the last 7 years. They got rid of the polarizer, started using edge lighting, Dell buys leftover, grade C junk panels for their monitors, etc.

I'm maybe wrong, but on a large scale these features only viable for the higher end market of color critical displays where people willing to pay for picture quality.

Back