U2711 vs U2713HM

Zyde

Limp Gawd
U2711 vs U2713HM

Okay folks. I need to pick between one of the two. Assume that price and power consumption do not matter; I simply need to understand which is better for my usage scenarios. I do a lot of coding, read a lot of text, play lots of games, and watch a lot of movies/tv shows/anime on my computer. No photoshop or color work. I also value the HDMI port for plugging in my Xbox 360 to the same monitor.

* Is LED backlit (on the U2713HM) visually better for the above, and why? Does LED backlit mean deeper blacks and less backlight bleeding?
* Is 6-bit color (U2713HM) noticeably worse than 8-bit (U2711)?
* Could you please give me technical and user-experience reasons why one is visually better to use?

Thanks a lot!

---

P.S. - I have huge discount coupons for Dell and I like their warranty, I am not interested in other manufacturers. I am also okay with the anti-glare hard coating as I work in a bright room with lots of windows (used a U2412m in the same room which I loved).

Last edited:
* Is LED backlit (on the U2713HM) visually better for the above, and why (deeper blacks?)?
Neither better nor worse. Regarding image processing the WCG-CCFL blu of the U2711 would be a significant advantage.

* Is 6-bit color (U2713HM) noticeably worse than 8-bit (U2711)?
Depends not on the native panel bit depth but the precision of the electronic. The U2711 had a 12bit LUT.

Best regards

Denis

Neither better nor worse. Regarding image processing the WCG-CCFL blu of the U2711 would be a significant advantage.

Depends not on the native panel bit depth but the precision of the electronic. The U2711 had a 12bit LUT.

Best regards

Denis

Thanks, Denis. I am reading up on the technical difference between WCG-CCFL and LED and on why blu would be better on the U2711. Based on my own findings and your post reaffirming what I have read in the past, it appears that the U2711 has the advantage over the U2713HM.

I am just concerned about making this judgement prematurely as we haven't seen any proper reviews for the U2713HM yet. I am worried that a week or two after purchasing the U2711, the U2713HM may turn out to be the best 27" WQHD monitor on the market for a reason we are unable to ascertain based on the tech specs alone.

Well I think anyone would be mad to try and make an assumption at this stage about what the U2713HM will be like so it's probably wise to wait a couple of weeks to get a proper idea. LED backlighting had nothing to do with black depth or backlight bleeding but one main difference which it will give you compared with the U2711 is the colour gamut. The U2713HM is a standard sRGB gamut model but the U2711 is native wide gamut. So I suppose an important consideration is what colour space you actually want to work in?

Also there's nothing at all to suggest the U2713HM is a 6-bit panel so not sure where that has come from? It is likely that it will be a native 8-bit panel but the U2711 is an 8-bit with AFRC at the panel level to give "10-bit" support. However to take advantage of that you'd need a full 10-bit end to end workflow which is very rare outside of professional users so another consideration there

Thanks. I agree it would be best to wait but I am returning to university in a week and need a monitor. We don't know when the U2713HM will release in the US. I want the better of the two monitors, and I am trying to justify buying the U2711 now to fill the need as it appears to be the better one out of the two.

The U2713 will likely have 30% higher contrast/deeper blacks and since it is an sRGB display it should offer better sRGB image quality than the U2711 as well as better motion performance (less ghosting). It may have lower input lag too.

6bit panels SUCK BIG TIME. i not kidding, the least people should get is a 8bit panel. and the difference between 8-bit and 10-bit is huge. i never had a 12bit panel but i guess it too makes a huge difference go from 10 to 12 bit.

I would also like to know I'm getting impatient about changing my 24inch u2410, been waiting for a good 16:9 27inch with lower price and led forever now, mind you I love the coating can't stand reflections so, if this new one isn't better than the U2711 will make my decision easier.

6bit panels SUCK BIG TIME. i not kidding, the least people should get is a 8bit panel. and the difference between 8-bit and 10-bit is huge.
There is no significant visual difference considering good implementations. Important is the precision of the electronic before the panel itself. Good examples are the Eizo FS2331, FS2332, EV2333. They use a 6bit panel paired with a 10bit LUT. There is no loss of tonal values regarding the 8bit input-signal – independent from OSD settings – and you won't see unwanted artefacts. A FRC stage is used to "rescue" the tonal values after high bit processing.

Btw: Native 10bit panels are very uncommon. The LG LM240WU5 (LG W2420R, HP LP2480zx, Quato IP240ex LED) is one example. Many other "10bit screens" are still using a 8bit panel – nowadays in most cases with panelinternal FRC implementations. But even with a 10bit signal there is no visual disadvantage (see above).

i never had a 12bit panel but i guess it too makes a huge difference go from 10 to 12 bit.
You are mixing up LUT precision with panel bit depth at this point.

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
6bit panels SUCK BIG TIME. i not kidding, the least people should get is a 8bit panel. and the difference between 8-bit and 10-bit is huge. i never had a 12bit panel but i guess it too makes a huge difference go from 10 to 12 bit.

Got anything to back up all that?

not true at all and Denis has articulated a nice response. I'd challenge whether you've ever even seen a 10-bit workflow at all since you need a full end to end 10-bit process including OS, software, graphics card, interface and monitor. very rare and very expensive in reality.

:rolleyes:

Back