U-Verse ATT vs DSL Copper ATT..Question

EagleOne

Gawd
thanks for helping, here's my situation:

I have right now dsl att modem copper cat3 wire, my attt speed test now is 5.1
I live apt build, they just upgraded to Uverse, I will have it tomorrow, they say I will be at 6.0 no problem......I know this is not really fast coming from high speed roadrunner cable from a few years back at another apt......will I see a difference....they say there is a fiber cable coming from the street into our build.....and I will be on that.

I hope they run a cat5 to there box from my u-verse I know that should really help some..... :)

Not sure what the question is. Is 6 faster than 5? Yes. Will you see a difference. Doubtful.

The deal with Uverse is it's a fiber line which runs to a box somewhere in your neighborhood. From there to your residence is still a copper line. The good news is once you're on Uverse you should be able to upgrade speeds to 12, 18 or more Mb. As mentioned you're not going to see any difference between 5 - 6 Mb.

yes the question was 5 to 6 will I see a difference? yes the fiber line is in the garage uverse, but they can only right now do 6megabits ps for right now in this area Burbank ca. it will get better or rather higher, im counting on this.

when I click on IE from my DSL old box it goes instant to google homepage....when I goto sites here and there from my favorites, I see a lag 4 to 8 seconds or more, like newegg takes 8 or 9 seconds sometimes........being on u-verse even at 6.0mbps, "can it get better results going from sites to sites better than my old 5.0 DSL being on fiber than copper???

thanks guys for the help.........im almost ready to go T1 but hold myself back.......

33k7nll.jpg

Att employee here. Mister is correct. Although there are some apartments (depending on location) that are fttp (in the case an apt). Considering you are currently on legacy dsl, it's not likely the case.

One downside to apartments, we are not allowed to run new lines. (unless you happen to have the apartment right next to the building terminal, in which case we can get away with it lol). Cat3(most) works just fine for the vdsl signal, just ask them to test the pair. Currently, it's still supports our frequency range.

Most apartments also can go up to 24m as the cable from the vrad is rarely longer than 2-3k ft.

Happy to answer any questions uverse related.

Edit: you're current connection is faster than a t1
Edit2: that cooling, and you only have 6m? lol :p

Att employee here. Mister is correct. Although there are some apartments (depending on location) that are fttp (in the case an apt). Considering you are currently on legacy dsl, it's not likely the case.

One downside to apartments, we are not allowed to run new lines. (unless you happen to have the apartment right next to the building terminal, in which case we can get away with it lol). Cat3(most) works just fine for the vdsl signal, just ask them to test the pair. Currently, it's still supports our frequency range.

Most apartments also can go up to 24m as the cable from the vrad is rarely longer than 2-3k ft.

Happy to answer any questions uverse related.

Edit: you're current connection is faster than a t1
Edit2: that cooling, and you only have 6m? lol :p

the max distance to the fiber is 200 feet on existing cat3 from my apt....so that's ok your saying?

att said we guaranty 6mbps for the build maybe 5.8 maybe she said, I called a T1 company today $200 per mo 3 year contract free installation 1500mbps upstream and 1500 downstream, im hoiping uverse will calm me down, my system goes 5425mhz 8 core amd
I like the speed!!! I want the internet or rather this DSL cat3 modem out and Uverse tomorrow to
IMPRESS me allot better than this regular DSL........I have 30 days att said....I understand about apt build and wiring, I will pay the uverse 150 bucks to run the cat5 200 feet if that will help the signal.......yes the phase.change freon cooling is -51c right now on my cpu.
im coming from "road runner" time warner high speed cable to this DSL....and now U-verse has just put there fiber in a month or 2 ago I just found out...
comeback over.........:D

T1 sucks, its 24(?) 64kbps(56k) multiplexed...

os3 is what you want ;)

anyway, apts and townhomes can get 45mbps, depending on the existing mdu wiring... and no an extra 1mbps is not going to make a diff. uverse has the benefit of faster speeds at lower prices

EDIT: after seeing your post above mine i cant tell if you're a troll or serious...

T1 sucks, its 24(?) 64kbps(56k) multiplexed...

os3 is what you want ;)

anyway, apts and townhomes can get 45mbps, depending on the existing mdu wiring... and no an extra 1mbps is not going to make a diff. uverse has the benefit of faster speeds at lower prices

EDIT: after seeing your post above mine i cant tell if you're a troll or serious...

the T1 company said we put small microwave dish on my roof 8 feet above my supercomputer....and point it to the best tower and I will have 1500mbps up and 1500mbps download.....I saw the T3 stuff I think your saying way way too much money....but Happy to see you say U-Verse isn't all that bad.....BTW what's a troll
I never have got that straight.....I have been on this site for 9+ years

None of this makes any f***ing sense at all dude. Why are you even talking about T1 when the dsl you have now is already faster than that??? So you would rather pay $200 a month for a slower service......?

Hes trolling you guys. Better leave the troll to die.

.I have been on this site for 9+ years

And that is why we are all so mystified you hadn't picked up on common knowledge of how the internet works and what internet speeds mean.

A T1 is 1.5Mbps up and down. not 1500Mbps. Your 6 Mbps connection is much faster. At least in the download part. The upload wouldn't be as fast. And with regular websites you aren't going to see a difference in the website loading between 5 or 6 Mbps or 1 Gigabit per second for that matter. It's only going to help downloading things or having multiple people browsing the web or downloading things, streaming video, latency for gaming etc.

Your Uverse is just DSL with a fiber node somewhere in the neighborhood. You aren't going to see any difference between 6 Mbps DSL connection, or a 6 Mbps cable connection or a direct fiber connection limited to 6 Mbps. It's all 6Mbps. The only thing fiber does is allow higher speeds than regular ADSL2+.

None of this makes any f***ing sense at all dude. Why are you even talking about T1 when the dsl you have now is already faster than that??? So you would rather pay $200 a month for a slower service......?

no man i'm not getting a T1 I was thinking of it...
I have a dsl box now it's getting bad, I replaced it with new one.....now it's worse.
I did not know my apt build has been set up with U-VERSE im getting that today....no TV uverse just internet and phone....they say it will only go 600mbps until they get higher speeds to my build,
so i'm waiting for this..........im moved here, but had "roadrunner" time warner at my other place that was lightning fast speeds internet
when I click IE right now it goes instant to IE but when I navigate around to sites I get what i'm finding out it's HIGH LATENCY LAG......too much delay, it's killing me, I put my system at default and still the internet is FUC*ED.....I just needed some help from you guys....and the other guy said i'm a troll....im a x 101st airborne division us army vet........so right now i'm waiting for ATT UVERSE ....I was worried about the CAT3 wire from my apt to the ATT fiber in the garage about 200 feet away and should cat5 be better....att says no problem for 200 feet....thanks for any advice brother, i'm not network or internet expert....have I explained it better now the situation.....:)

no man i'm not getting a T1 I was thinking of it...
I have a dsl box now it's getting bad, I replaced it with new one.....now it's worse.
I did not know my apt build has been set up with U-VERSE im getting that today....no TV uverse just internet and phone....they say it will only go 600mbps until they get higher speeds to my build,
so i'm waiting for this..........im moved here, but had "roadrunner" time warner at my other place that was lightning fast speeds internet
when I click IE right now it goes instant to IE but when I navigate around to sites I get what i'm finding out it's HIGH LATENCY LAG......too much delay, it's killing me, I put my system at default and still the internet is FUC*ED.....I just needed some help from you guys....and the other guy said i'm a troll....im a x 101st airborne division us army vet........so right now i'm waiting for ATT UVERSE ....I was worried about the CAT3 wire from my apt to the ATT fiber in the garage about 200 feet away and should cat5 be better....att says no problem for 200 feet....thanks for any advice brother, i'm not network or internet expert....have I explained it better now the situation.....:)

None of us can help you until you help yourself and learn how to write coherent sentences. Sorry to be rude but it's the truth.

BN-BL789_0214RA_DV_20140211120730.jpg

Look into a 4G hotspot? Depending on what you want to do (latency can spike here and there), it will surpass 5.1mb.

Oh..It's Eagle One..
I won't say what we call Uverse..but it rhymes with "U" and Hitler wanted to kill someone who was one.
You know,I talk to guys in other countries and they get 2x the US speeds for 1/2 the price.What's up with that?
I.E.: 48 downs/15 up n stuff :mad:
for $60 a mo
You might as well see if you can get Bright House there or..
oman..the green thing..whatever it is..
Satellite?
Why is it that when I try to look up ISPs the results are all like 15+ years old?

Last edited:
hey everything OK now........ Uverse fiber works very good feels 40% better than what I had.
no hard feelings to you guys, thanks to you ATT employee for your words, i'm back in good shape.
free installation 50 bucks a month approx. with phone,
have good Christmas to all of You
Peace.....eagleone

Oh..It's Eagle One..
I won't say what we call Uverse..but it rhymes with "U" and Hitler wanted to kill someone who was one.
You know,I talk to guys in other countries and they get 2x the US speeds for 1/2 the price.What's up with that?
I.E.: 48 downs/15 up n stuff :mad:
for $60 a mo
You might as well see if you can get Bright House there or..
oman..the green thing..whatever it is..
Satellite?
Why is it that when I try to look up ISPs the results are all like 15+ years old?

Because population density in Europe and Asia is much higher. There is a better Return On Investment for the companies when they invest in the infrastructure over there. Here in America everyone wants to have a house on an 1/2 acre or 1/4 acre of land and they put 100 of these houses in a row. We love it, but when your a telecommunications company looking to install fiber and your looking at cost on a PER FOOT basis of digging in the ground it just isn't worth it.

Back