cageymaru

Fully [H]
According to the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) and The NPD Group, video game sales toppled the $43.4 billion mark in 2018. Sales were up 18% from 2017 as previous sales records were broken for the video game industry. Across all platforms, (console, PC, portable, and mobile), both the hardware and software segments of video game sales experienced record growth and revenue in 2018. According to data tabulated by the ESA, 150 million Americans play video games. The video game industry has generated 220,000 jobs across all 50 states and more than 500 colleges and universities offer programs or degrees related to video game development.

"2018 was another record setting year for the U.S. video game industry as consumer spending jumped 18 percent to over $43 billion. Whether it was playing on the go on a mobile device or at home on a PC or console, consumers of all ages and interests found compelling content that delighted in 2018," said Mat Piscatella, video games industry analyst, The NPD Group. "Console, PC, and mobile platforms all saw significant growth, while developing portions of the market like subscription and streaming services gave us a peek into a future full of possibilities for the industry and gamers."

And multiply that number by 20 to find out how much piracy caused "losses"
Of course most of that money is microtransactions I'm sure

Several sources tell us that we buy More games.
I do expect a lot of income gains overall is microtransactions and Epic Games is sure one of the big ones raking in.

It's also intersting how games sell well, revenue goes up in a business yet...

Blizzard\Activision\
EA

who sell the biggest franchises are seing a massive decline.. hmm..
I see a big trend in my purchases, they're from independent game companies, still big studios but they tend to release stuff when they feel like it to some extent, they can delay a game 6 months.

Several sources tell us that we buy More games.
I do expect a lot of income gains overall is microtransactions and Epic Games is sure one of the big ones raking in.

It's also intersting how games sell well, revenue goes up in a business yet...

Blizzard\Activision\
EA

who sell the biggest franchises are seing a massive decline.. hmm..
I see a big trend in my purchases, they're from independent game companies, still big studios but they tend to release stuff when they feel like it to some extent, they can delay a game 6 months.

Honestly, I'd probably say the companies teabagging customers are losing business, but the smaller companies and the ones with reputations are doing exceptionally well, for example I have no doubt cyberpunk from CD project red will probably sell buttloads of games, Indies are doing really good and we have micro transactions for lootbox cosmetics, rather than progressive p2w models, that are becoming more and more commonplace and more fair to the public. POE has been a huge sell earner for steam

We am sure there are parts of this that are ignored like PC gaming hardware as there is little way to measure the PC ecosystem as sort parts out due to it's raw functionality so the numbers are probably skewed a bit. That number could technically be alot higher than portrayed.

Back