U.S. to allow small drones to fly over people at night

erek

[H]F Junkie
"United Parcel Service Inc said in October 2019 that it won the government’s first full approval to operate a drone airline.

Last year, Alphabet’s Wing, a sister unit of search engine Google, was the first company to get U.S. air carrier certification for a single-pilot drone operation.

In August, Amazon.com Inc’s drone service received federal approval allowing the retailer to begin testing commercial deliveries through its drone fleet.

The new rules will become effective 60 days after publication next month. Drone manufacturers will have 18 months to begin producing drones with Remote ID, while drone operators have an additional year to begin using drones with Remote ID."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...nes-to-fly-over-people-at-night-idUSKBN2921R8

I actually like the idea of designating a delivery zone with coordinates in the back yard. Makes no difference to the drone and it could be dropped out of site by the back door, on a deck, etc.

Can the drone just drop it off in my backyard so that porch pirates won't steal it? Who am I kidding, porch pirates follow UPS trucks around, they'll simply follow drones around and then hop a fence if "necessary"
If you want to hop the fence with my pit bull there that's on you. I'd rather my package be there with my dog than on my front porch unguarded.

If you want to hop the fence with my pit bull there that's on you. I'd rather my package be there with my dog than on my front porch unguarded.
And then the dog gets seized and euthanized due to being "dangerous" :(.

I'd assume they'd eventually take a more integrated approach to deliveries. The drone might contact you in an app right before dropping it off.

I'd assume they'd eventually take a more integrated approach to deliveries. The drone might contact you in an app right before dropping it off.
Kind of like UPS does now... "Your package will arrive sometime between 10am and 4pm"

Kind of like UPS does now... "Your package will arrive sometime between 10am and 4pm"
It should be more like what amazon does with their tracking that shows the position of the driver on the map (sometimes) and how many stops they have. If the drone handles it then it should be more accurate.

As long as a drone doesn’t pull up to my bedroom window blasting music on Sunday at 8am, park in the middle of a busy 2 lane street, deliver my package to the wrong city I’m good with it.

It should be more like what amazon does with their tracking that shows the position of the driver on the map (sometimes) and how many stops they have. If the drone handles it then it should be more accurate.
If you sign up for MyUPS (I think that's what it's called) you get delivery maps also. Though I've noticed that sometimes the GPS tracker jumps to the other side of the city and stops updating.

As long as a drone doesn’t pull up to my bedroom window on Sunday at 8am I’m good with it.

That's exactly what bezo's wants... to spy on me in my bedroom and watch me 'interact' with my wife through the curtains.

who am i kidding i don't have a wife :oops:

Last edited:
If you sign up for MyUPS (I think that's what it's called) you get delivery maps also. Though I've noticed that sometimes the GPS tracker jumps to the other side of the city and stops updating.
Really? Damn, I have MyUPS (and Amazon prime) I never knew of any delivery map (or at least couldn't find one). Only get estimated delivery time which always is "by end of day"... yay!

I will wait until they are operational and see how they get me my 200+lbs automatic transmission to my house :D

I nominate Amazombing for that one.

people could start building drone pens on their roofs and painting landing pads on them for package deliveries.

Really? Damn, I have MyUPS (and Amazon prime) I never knew of any delivery map (or at least couldn't find one). Only get estimated delivery time which always is "by end of day"... yay!
Yeah ever since I signed up, I get an email when the 'Out for delivery' scan happens, usually around 9AM on delivery day. In that email is a 'Follow My Delivery' link that goes to a live update map.

I also just checked my emails and they're titled 'UPS My Choice' if that helps.

Amazon would fine you $5k for your dog destroying their drone. Also they'll have your dog euthanized. I find it funny that Pitbull owners are like, "no my pitbull wouldn't hurt a fly", but then "you touch my package my pitbull snuggles will kill you." This is why pitbulls get put down so often because their owners are bipolar.

how are they planning to utilize these drones I mean, just one truck carries up to 150+ packages in a day. Imagine how many drones would be needed per day just in NYC alone. Terrific, more noise pollution :confused:

Originally they said the drones were for 30 minute deliveries.

But you could have a truck acting as a carrier drive to the neighborhood and a dozen drones fly out and deliver to the nearby houses.

The truck wouldn't even need to stop. There are a lot of options to make less noise and pollution than they do now. And just be way more efficient and faster.

Amazon would fine you $5k for your dog destroying their drone. Also they'll have your dog euthanized. I find it funny that Pitbull owners are like, "no my pitbull wouldn't hurt a fly", but then "you touch my package my pitbull snuggles will kill you." This is why pitbulls get put down so often because their owners are bipolar.

What dog breed bites the most? Answer may surprise you.

ETA: This is not the same question as "which breed's bites are most damaging."

Originally they said the drones were for 30 minute deliveries.

But you could have a truck acting as a carrier drive to the neighborhood and a dozen drones fly out and deliver to the nearby houses.

The truck wouldn't even need to stop. There are a lot of options to make less noise and pollution than they do now. And just be way more efficient and faster.
Or the truck would be compartmentalized and each would have a keypad with a unique generated key that would be sent to the recipient. The person would walk out and enter their unique code to open up the compartment and take their package. I'd imagine drones are more for light items that have Amazon prime accounts.

That video shows how playful or excited the breed is. The dog hardly attacked the drone, it was curious and zoomied after it. Hence the breath/pant after the drone was down and no persistent bite.

What dog breed bites the most? Answer may surprise you.

ETA: This is not the same question as "which breed's bites are most damaging."
Poodles better be up there. I hate that damn breed. At the humane society I volunteer at thats the only one that bite me with a purpose. Goldendoodle hybrid dogs. Fucking designer breeders...

Note - I've come across dozens of pitbull terriers or mixes thereof - not once have I been biten. Play chewed, thousands of time. Big difference.

That video shows how playful or excited the breed is. The dog hardly attacked the drone, it was curious and zoomied after it. Hence the breath/pant after the drone was down and no persistent bite.
Amazon don't care, but they still want their $5k for the drone and the dog euthanized. I get people like their dogs and some even believe that they protect their homes but dogs are a liability. Anything goes wrong and Judge Judy will be all over it. If you expect a drone delivery then chain up your dog, especially a Pitbull. If the person chasing after your package gets attacked then you're liable. Sucks but this is the world we live in.

So great - now Bezos reads this and is now creating Pit Drones in a lab somewhere.

<cave-johnson>
"I told the folks in the lab to surprise me. And, well they did. I didn't expect flying pitbulls with a xenomorph-esque set of extending jaws, but here we are. And it's great. They fly, their jaws lock, and they are Mostly Peaceful. I am sending a squad of them with my Lemons to Fed-Ex HQ right now."
</cave-johnson>

So great - now Bezos reads this and is now creating Pit Drones in a lab somewhere.

<cave-johnson>
"I told the folks in the lab to surprise me. And, well they did. I didn't expect flying pitbulls with a xenomorph-esque set of extending jaws, but here we are. And it's great. They fly, their jaws lock, and they are Mostly Peaceful. I am sending a squad of them with my Lemons to Fed-Ex HQ right now."
</cave-johnson>
"Cave Jonson here. Introducing our most anticipated product, the drone. How did we do it? We used the same proven AI in our turrets. Our AI is designed to work with a minimum of 1.1volts to ensure long operation. Got a Pitbull guarding your yard? Our drones can neutralize it with the same proven turret technology. Scientists here tell me it'll only be for defense and your dogs death will be quick. Nothing is going to stop the delivery of your baby formula. They come in one color so long as it's white, for legal reasons. They'll even deliver themselves to your door step. Take that FedEx. Cave Johnson, we're done here."

That list doesn't say if it is going in order or not, and, the site it cites no longer exists.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-lies-damn-lies-and-st_b_8112394?guccounter=1

Here's a better article that explains why pit bulls are over reported in statistics.

Pit bulls scored high on a scale of how well tempered they are, they actually scored better than golden retrievers:
https://dogtime.com/dog-health/general/1220-american-pit-bull-terrier-temperament-dog-bites

So, some random article without up to date sources is not "pretty significant."

On topic though:

A "landing pad" on the roof for the drones to drop packages off would be a good idea. That'll eliminate porch pirates, sure some might climb on a roof, but I doubt a lot will.

Nah, I make no mistake about it. My fence has a few signs on it that say "Guard dog on duty". No mistake of what it's there for.

download.jpeg

In all honesty I don't care if some porch pirate thief gets fucked up by my dog. I have a lot of insurance for that and other reasons. As far as I'm concerned I hope if someone hops my fence they get a lifetime lesson in the form of facial scars.

Last edited:
The idea that Amazon hasn't considered the idea of pets or even things like birds, humans (with or without tools) and the weather with its drone trials is kinda laughable.

No your pitbull, or fuck, even a real actual bull, will not fuck up an amazon delivery drone. I'm pretty sure that it won't ever get close enough to try.

Yeah, they were figuring this out back in 2017.
https://slate.com/business/2017/04/...threat-to-its-drones-with-simulated-dogs.html

Cool time to buy me a 12 guauge shot gun I don't want those noisy and noesy things any where near me.

Back