U.S. Judge Blocks Programs Letting 'Grand Theft Auto' Players 'Cheat'

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by DooKey, Aug 17, 2018.

1. DooKey

DooKey [H]ardness Supreme

A federal judge has issued an injunction that prevents a Georgia man from selling multiplayer cheats for Grand Theft Auto. Take-Two Interactive brought the suit on grounds of copyright infringement and for now they have the upper hand. They also claimed that his cheats were disruptive to the gaming community and as a result they have lost $500K in game sales. No matter how it turns out Take-Two has brought an interesting lawsuit, but I don't expect it to slow down the cheat makers since it's such a lucrative market. Thanks brucethemoose.

U.S. District Judge Louis Stanton in Manhattan said Take-Two was likely to show that Zipperer infringed its “Grand Theft Auto V” copyright, and that his programs would cause irreparable harm to its sales and reputation by discouraging users from buying its video games.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  2. viper1152012

viper1152012 [H]ard|Gawd

3. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

If only cheating in multiplayer games was straight up illegal. I'm completely fine with you going crazy in Single player but the moment you break the game I paid 60 bones for, go directly to jail, do not pass go.

4. twonunpackmule

twonunpackmule [H]ard|Gawd

I'm hard pressed to consider that reason to spend money on imprisoning someone and ruining their life.

Simply ban them.

Chupachup, Maxx, John721 and 4 others like this.
  5. NeghVar

NeghVar 2[H]4U

We don't need more nonviolent people incarcerated. Especially when it comes to cheating/violating a ToS of a video game.

Master_shake_, Maxx, John721 and 4 others like this.
  6. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

Ok, we execute them then. People need to stop being assholes and they need punishment.

7. Krazy925

Krazy925 2[H]4U

That sounds like a logical solution.

Burticus and digitalwanderer like this.
  8. twonunpackmule

Sounds a little like a pot calling kettle. Just saying.

Chupachup likes this.
  9. NeghVar

NeghVar 2[H]4U

John721 likes this.
  10. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Long Time No See

Damn it, I was really hoping it was someone connected to Cheat Central! I've been down on them for years now since they went to their subscription model and I got in to an argument with a mod and got my lifetime account banned for life. :|

Still, I'd love to see online cheating punished more. No, we can't lock them up; no, execution is emotionally satisfying but probably a bit harsh; I'd say some form of limit to their internet connection or what '76 is doing by making cheaters in to targets is the way to go. (Really great move by the 76 team in my opinion btw, use the cheaters as bonus content? Brilliant!)

But GTA V online is too much big business monies for them to allow people to cheat it, I hate when game economics and real world economics get all grey and confused!

craigdt likes this.
  11. twonunpackmule

It really worries me when people say things like, "Execution is emotionally satisfying."

Woof.

12. Ebernanut

Ebernanut [H]ard|Gawd

They're cheats not modders.

Chupachup likes this.
  13. Kdawg

Kdawg Gawd

i cheat in single player all the time, because it's fun.

but multiplayer cheating is like shitting on other humans, which is not right.

digitalwanderer and GoldenTiger like this.
  14. tetris42

tetris42 [H]ardness Supreme

I'm amazed by the framing of these discussions.

15. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot 2[H]4U

No jail but a year's assignment to the clean up effort in the burned out zones of California should do the trick.

digitalwanderer and Chupachup like this.
  16. SighTurtle

SighTurtle [H]ard|Gawd

There's a difference between simply being a user of the cheats, to distributing, or making them.

Companies should ban users of cheats, and their accounts, forcing them to rebuy, and if they continue, enact things like IP or hardware bans.

Distributing or creating them? Different story. Not really a fan of putting people in jail, so things like shutting down the sites, fines, cutting off computer/internet access is fine by me.

17. Chupachup

Chupachup Limp Gawd

If the developers would stop slack-coding to push product out the door while still filled with holes that allow pervasive cheats to be created and used, then maybe the games would a) actually be worth the money and b) not be the sad place of virtual heresy that drives so many players to their rage place.

Take-Two shouldn't have had grounds to bring the suit if they were stupid enough to launch and then not patch a game so riddled with poor code. The fault lies with them from beginning to end.

NOTE- I have ZERO sympathy for whiny shit coders or their companies complaining about lost money as they're no different from kids whining about spawn camping- the camper's are just playing the game as they've been allowed.

18. SecretStash

SecretStash Limp Gawd

Let's get rid of cheaters, but copyright infringement? I hope this doesn't set bad prescedents down the road!

19. STEM

STEM Gawd

Please fix the SQL server errors.

Thank you.

20. Burticus

Burticus [H]ardness Supreme

Death is perhaps too harsh. How about just cutting off the fingers on their primary hand? No more coding for you

21. nomu

nomu Gawd

Aren't the users mostly at fault? Legally they should also be most at risk, since if there's any unauthorized access involved the cheater is the one doing it.