Typing on Mobile Site w/ Swype

PiERiT

2[H]4U
This started a couple months ago: when using Swype on the mobile HardForum site, punctuation and word suggestions act very strangely.

Typically in Swype you can short press on a comma or period or question mark and move to the spacebar without lifting your finger to add a space after the punctuation, and that no longer works, instead needing to tap the punctuation and then tap the spacebar. When doing it the way described, which still works on other sites and used to work here, it will add a space before the punctuation, or change the word you typed, or backspace, or do any other amount of weird things.

Also, if you mistype a word or Swype recognizes a word incorrectly, when you tap the correct suggested word in the suggestion bar, sometimes it'll properly change the word, sometimes it'll add a random letter to the word, sometimes it'll backspace, and sometimes it'll change to a completely different yet still wrong word.

Tough to describe and probably not worth fixing since Swype is dead, but I'd sure appreciate it. Typing up a post on here takes about twice as long since this started.

Edit: I just tested the built-in Gboard and that has the same problem with suggested words. It doesn't have the punctuation spacebar feature so I can't test that, but it now seems like an Android problem rather than Swype. I'm on a Google Pixel with 8.1 and I'm pretty certain it happened on 8.0 as well. No other phones to test unfortunately.

Edit2: Testing the desktop site typing this edit and the problems are still present. So my title is way wrong :( but hopefully these edits will help narrow it down.

Last edited:
I was going to do a post on this myself but I was looking in making sure it wasn't posted. Since this is related i am posting here. Auto complete and correction are screwy. And its only on the hardforum, and its on 2 cellphones. What happens is if you type something, but it's wrong, and them u use the suggestion on top many times it comes screwy in the screen. Yes it doesn't make sense but is hapoen (happens and i pressed the suggestion twice) a lot while typing in front page news , it happened some here. LssL (less) ocuro (occurs) mistakes (that one corrected well) copltlycom (completely) wirdw (weird) the mistakes i have put here are after i pressed the correct words in the suggestions .. doesn't alwsal (always) happen but only on hardforum.
Oh yeah, no Swype for me, and swipe typing is disabled in the Gboard.

Last edited:
Try with Plain Editor?
upload_2018-5-2_0-20-32.png

That seems to work. I didn't know that was an option. Will this stay the default after selecting it?

Edit: Nope, it reverts back. Ah well, I'll try to remember to select that every time.

Back