Tygon R-3603 - becomes soft, 7/16'' slips off 1/2'' barb

MooCow

[H]F Junkie
I'm using 7/16'' tygon R-3603 tubing over 1/2'' barbs, and after a couple of months, the tubing becomes softer than it was new. I noticed that Durelene tubing does not do this.

Basically, I was redoing my loop to make some changes after using it for 2 months, and I pulled a 7/16'' Tygon tube off a 1/2'' barb, and then cut off an inch from the end since the end is already too stretched to reuse. Common practice. So with the stretched end cut out I had a new unstretched tubing end and I slipped it over the 1/2'' barb. I noticed that the whole length of tubing is softer. It also slipped over the barb too easily, but it still held a seal.

I ran a leak test for 3 days because I didn't have the time due to a busy work schedule.. so on the third day, the tubing just slipped right off the barb. I was a bit pissed off since Tygon is very popular. I usually use Durelene, but I got this tubing from a friend when I redid my watercooling at his house and that's all he uses.

Luckily I was just running a leak test and I was home when this happened. Some water got on the carpet, but I pulled the plug on the pump. Anyways, I did plenty of googling on why Tygon sucks, how it plasticizes and all. Its really some over hyped bullshit.

I have no idea why this Tygon tubing becomes softened due to using plain distilled water. I don't use any stupid dyes or UV coloring in my loop - Just a killcoil and some biocide drops. I can understand how most tubing can become cloudy and discolored which is common, but I can't believe this tubing actually becomes very soft, so soft in fact that it can't grab a hold over a larger 1/2'' barb.

Has this happened to anyone else? Did I use the wrong type of Tygon? Shouldn't Tygon never ever have this happen to it? I never used hose clamps over my used Durelene tubing and that's the way it should always be.

I'm going back to Durelene. It never let me down.

Last edited:
I run same tubing with distilled water and it doesn't get soft. Feels like new. Have had it for at least over 6 months.

Personally, I think it is more of an issue of you choosing to force smaller tubing over a larger fitting as opposed to using a proper method of securing the tubing to the fitting. You took a chance, it didn’t work out, and now you want to blame the tubing.

Personally, I think it is more of an issue of you choosing to force smaller tubing over a larger fitting as opposed to using a proper method of securing the tubing to the fitting. You took a chance, it didn’t work out, and now you want to blame the tubing.

Just... No.

Uhh ....

1) You were running out of spec, i'd still have put zipties atleast on the ends
2) Sounds like a possible bad batch of tubing? Ive never heard of this issue happening. I ran PrimoChill tubing in the same manner, 7/16 on 1/2" barbs, no issues for over a year. Cut the ends, and just moved it up a bit, no issues.

Also @raynman68 --- using smaller tubing is a valid method of using tubing on fittings, there is nothing wrong with it, and plenty of people do it with no issues....

Tygon is softer...that is why its soo flexible.
Heat...heat softens it further...

7/16" tubing on 1/2" barbs does not mean you get to not use clamps or compression fittings.

I am betting it failed shortly after the pump?
first waterblock encountered?

The tubing is fine... the user shows signs of fatigue and should be replaced immediately.

7/16" tubing on 1/2" barbs does not mean you get to not use clamps or compression fittings.

Actually, thats exactly what it means.

When i used that tubing over 1/2in barbs years ago I had to cut it off when i went to change it. Either they changed their formula or it was a bad batch.

Actually, thats exactly what it means.

When i used that tubing over 1/2in barbs years ago I had to cut it off when i went to change it. Either they changed their formula or it was a bad batch.

Not really.

Just because some people have had luck with the unsafe practice of not securing their tubes does not mean that it should become the gold standard that everything is measured by.

Back