TYAN S2915 boot problem - need help

K-TRON

Limp Gawd
I just received a TYAN S2915 motherboard in the mail today.

I have a problem
It will boot with either processor, but it will not boot with both.

This is a dual socket motherboard.
I am running two known good Opteron 2347 processors

If I install either into the right most socket (the one furthest from the I/O panel), everything works fine. It boots in like 5-7 seconds to the BIOS

If I try running both processors, the system refuses to boot. It maybe boots 1 out of 10 times. However when it does boot, it takes between 45 seconds and 3 minutes to boot. When on the system reads the cpu temperature at a constant 10C, while the other cpu (the one which always works fine) runs between 33 and 36C.

I think my leftmost CPU socket, (the one closest to the I/O panel) is not working.
All of the pins look good, the cpu gets hot in it, but it refuses to boot.

I am using a 8800GTS as the graphics

My memory works fine in this motherboard ( 2 x 2GB Kingston KVR800D2D8P6K2/4G)

Is there some jumper I need to set to allow both processors to go?

I am using a 810 watt power supply, Do I need more than that?

K-TRON

You only have 2 sticks of ram? If so thats the issue, I had to have 4 stick (2 for each processor) in order for it to run stable

I have one memory card on each side. (1 for each processor)
Mine are in the white banks closest to the top of the board

You are right
on page 27of the manual it says I need two memory cards per processor

I will need to get two more memory cards.

Well at least I know why it isnt working

Thanks

K-TRON

Last edited:
You don't need any memory on the 2nd cpu just to work, obviously not optional but it'll work.

Few things:
1. Your CPUs identical? Any chance they're different stepping?
2. You put the latest BIOS on the board? Put in single CPU and update BIOS just to be sure those CPUs are supported.
3. Do you have S2915-E? Or just the S2915? The S2915 non-E does not support Barcelona CPUs. Check the sticker on on the board, it should say have a -E on it, if not thats your issue.

--edit--
Oops didn't see your edit, no the Manual is wrong if it says that. Put either one stick on each CPU or put both on CPU0 and you should be able to use the board just fine.

You don't need any memory on the 2nd cpu just to work, obviously not optional but it'll work.

Few things:
1. Your CPUs identical? Any chance they're different stepping?
2. You put the latest BIOS on the board? Put in single CPU and update BIOS just to be sure those CPUs are supported.
3. Do you have S2915-E? Or just the S2915? The S2915 non-E does not support Barcelona CPUs. Check the sticker on on the board, it should say have a -E on it, if not thats your issue.

--edit--
Oops didn't see your edit, no the Manual is wrong if it says that. Put either one stick on each CPU or put both on CPU0 and you should be able to use the board just fine.

This was actually my board and I had the exact problem if loading it up with only 2 sticks of ram, it would be very long before it would boot and most of the time it wouldnt be stable. It wasn't until I purchased 2 other sticks that the second processor worked. I also had the same cpus as he did and they worked just fine.

I have two identical Opteron 2347's. I bought them as a matching pair.

It says V2.01 C843 on the Bios chip. The actual BIOS is version 3.00.2915

It is the 2915-E, since it runs with the Barcelona I have

Last edited:
Back