Two Ryzen systems & two sets of ram, which goes where?

arnemetis

2[H]4U
Hi everyone,

I'm upgrading the secondary pc and I am wondering which system would be more appropriate to give the faster ram to. Here's the two setups:

1) File / Plex server (also in sig): 1700x on Asus Prime x370-pro, with 2x8gb Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz cl16. Runs 24x7 serving up plex w/ associates softwares such as sonarr and sabnzbd. Has a dedicated raid card handling the storage. Also runs my teamspeak server and a few dedicated game servers. Backblaze runs constantly to keep my data backed up. Runs my work's file syncing software constantly (I work from home, my hardware.)

2) Secondary gaming pc: 2600 on Msi B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, with 2x8gb G.Skill Ripjaws 3200mhz cl14 and a 4gb rx 580. Will be run occasionally by gf for 1080p gaming or basic pc tasks.

My gut is telling me I should be putting the faster kit in the server, as it's used all the time and is likely to be more sensitive to a small performance difference. Of course it's been running fine for a year as it is since I built it last August too. It's hard finding good data on what really matters in the two different use cases I've presented, which is compounded by having two sets of ram that are both different speeds and latencies.

So assuming I am not interested in just buying another faster kit and throwing the slower kit away, which one goes where?

I would leave it as is. As long as your server is keeping up now, it isn't going to make a difference adding faster ram. It would be 'faster', but you likely would never notice unless you put some serious load on the server.

Faster ram for your gaming rig though might net a few extra FPS. Youre fine as is.

Yeah same here.

Servers are less far sensitive to memory speed & latancy. They are usually happier with memory quantity. They are also dependent on the number of concurrent user sessions they are handling.

You have a Ryzen 1700x with 16GB memory. As a server that sits in a corner that is pretty beefy. And as yoju say it seems to be doing the job you want it to do. Adding memory that is a little faster will only net you marginal increases because it still has to communicate with any client machines by network which is limited to about 110MB/Sec. I personally think you would get more value leaving it into your gaming machine. Games are far more time sensitive - especially if you want to benchmark them. Servers... not so much.

Now if later on you expand your gaming machine's memory, the one that is in there now would be a good candidate for that server (or a system for your significant other).

Thanks everyone, seems pretty unanimous. Yeah I may have gone a bit overboard when I upgraded the server with the cpu side, but I do a lot of file encoding on that machine, and as mentioned occasional transcoding for Plex. Previous to August of last yea, it was an amd x4 965 chip w/ 4gb off ddr3, and it dd have some issues when handling about 7 streams. Now the only issue is sometimes it seems a bit slow when using remote desktop, slow as in responsiveness, but that may be any number of Windows 10 things. I'm also suspecting it's related to the old ssd that windows is on, it's an old 60gb corsair. So I figured I'd throw out the question regarding the ram.

The secondary machine IS the gf's machine, she just doesn't use it every day, but has been starting to get back into gaming more regularly with me. I upgraded her machine due to another system I maintain (my mom's) going kaput so I had something to hand down. It usuaslly makes sense to upgrade the top machines (mine and the server) before everything else trickles down, but both of these are in good shape. So this will be an easier route, just building the system as intended, and the server can maintain it's uptime. I appreciate the comments!

Back