two routers

Boardin087

Gawd
Can you wire from a wired router to a wireless router....... me thinks not but not sure. If not are there any routers that are half wired and half wireless......... so i can game on the wired ones and surf on the wireless ones.......

I would say so, plug your wireless router into a port on the wired one and It would obtain and IP from the wired one. I think thats what you're talking about doing...you just wanna stack them. there should be no problems.

WHY? they make almost all wireless routers with 4-port switch in that back. or just add an access point to your hardwire setup?

Physically connecting the two routers:

Take a straight through Ethernet cable and connect it to a regular port on your main router, and plug the other end into the Uplink port on your Wireless Router (If your wireless router does not have an uplink port, try a regular port).

After you connect the two, you should get a Link LED on the port that you plugged the wireless router into on the main router. For example, if you connected the wireless router to port 2 on the main router, then you should get a "Link" LED on the number 2 Column.

Configuring the Wireless Router

1. With the router powered up, hold in the Reset button located on the front or back of the unit for about 1 minute. On some units you may need a paperclip to hold in the reset.

2. Connect one computer (It does not matter which one) into one of the numbered ports on the back of your Wireless router (Or into the LAN port on some wireless routers), then start the computer.

3. After connecting that computer, verify that you're getting a Link LED that corresponds to the port which you plugged the computer into (I.E. if the computer was plugged into port 2, then the "Link/Act" LED on the front of the router for the number 2 column should be illuminated).

4. When the computer finishes its boot up, open Internet Explorer, or your web browser of choice.

5. After your web browser opens, type in http://192.168.xx.xx(your router's ip) into the "Address" bar.

6. You'll be prompted for a "User Name" and "Password", leave the "User Name" blank, and type in admin as the password, then click OK.

7. The "Setup" page should load, after it does, click onto the DHCP tab.

8. When the "DHCP" area loads, you're going to want to click the option to Disable under the "DHCP Server" area. After you set the option to "Disable" click the Apply button, then Continue if you're prompted.

That's it. You may want to restart both routers and then it should be working after that

Btw, this is taken from linksys' knowledge database

Back