Two Razer mice are dead ... other brand suggestions?

edgeprod

Limp Gawd
One was a handful of weeks out of warranty, and they wouldn't do a goodwill replacement ... so although it's been my favorite brand since I met the founder around 2000, my loyalty is now up for grabs by another company. What's their nearest competitor, in your opinion, and what makes the mouse better than the Razer brands? Looking to buy in the next 2-3 days.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

I recommend Logitech. I have read a lot of good things about their customer service. Go with a MX518/G500/G700 (optical/laser/wireless) if you palm grip or G9x if you claw grip.

i have the Logitech G500 and i love it, its the best mouse before that i had the mx518 for 3 years, and it still works, i still have my 3 year old logitech G15 keyboard it still work's, they make good keyboards and mice, thats for sure.

Logitech. IMO there isn't a Razer mouse that competes with the MX518 which is Logitechs entry level gaming mouse. Anything higher is just that much better.

Logitech takes it by majority vote, then. I have the G15 (which I love), and it's lasted forever. Razer loses a customer for good today. Thanks guys!

Logitech takes it by majority vote, then. I have the G15 (which I love), and it's lasted forever. Razer loses a customer for good today. Thanks guys!

I have been buying Logitech mice/keyboards for over a decade. You simply can't go wrong. Good decision :)

More Logitechs, very nice! Looks like Razer was much better back in the day, and has now fallen away. Good to know.

More Logitechs, very nice! Looks like Razer was much better back in the day, and has now fallen away. Good to know.

According to what? I order Logitech mice for employees at my job and just don't see their quality as being any better than Microsoft, Razer, or anyone else. They have better customer service though (Logitech does), but personally I got tired of the "quirks" of the Logitech mice and switched to Razer for my gaming systems.

I absolutely dispise Logitech's drivers and it's what originally pushed me away from Logitech and towards another brand.

But once again, don't purchase Logitech with the false hope that their quality is any better than anyone else.

I am using a G500 with the Setpoint software in Win 7 Pro x64 and haven't had any issues except occasionally the auto profile switch doesn't detect that I've started a game (this rarely happens though).

One thing to mention, if you don't care about wheel tilt or having a rachetless scroll mode, I would suggest getting the MX518. Overall, it feels more solid than the G500 and the wheel click works and feels a lot better. No accidental clicks when pushing down the wheel either (this is a pain with the G500 in Crysis for example when accessing the suit menu).

They have better customer service though (Logitech does)

This is going to be the selling point for me on this one, unfortunately. I'm fiercely loyal to the companies that do right by their customers.

One thing to mention, if you don't care about wheel tilt or having a rachetless scroll mode, I would suggest getting the MX518. Overall, it feels more solid than the G500 and the wheel click works and feels a lot better. No accidental clicks when pushing down the wheel either (this is a pain with the G500 in Crysis for example when accessing the suit menu).

Good advice. I definitely don't care about wheel tilt, and I *do* care about accidental clicks!

According to what? I order Logitech mice for employees at my job and just don't see their quality as being any better than Microsoft, Razer, or anyone else. They have better customer service though (Logitech does), but personally I got tired of the "quirks" of the Logitech mice and switched to Razer for my gaming systems.

But what sort of mice do you buy your employees? We aren't comparing the $2 mice of Logitch. Are you buying your employees gaming mice? If so I want to come work with you :p

I will only use the Razer Deathadder for gaming, but I must admit the build quality isn't the best. The microswitches under the buttons especially.

And I wish they'd stop with their ridiculous naming schemes...

I've had the same issues -- Razer quality hasn't been up to par. I've never had a Logitech product fail on me, so I guess I'll have no reservations there.

Always had issues with razer up until my naga. Its been a champ for some time now. Otherwise logitech is pretty solid my original G5 is still going.

I've got a Logitech G700 and have been very pleased with it, can be wired or wireless as well.
I only buy Logitech Mice and Keyboards now as they have excellent customer service.

I called a couple of weeks ago about a malfunctioning MX Revolution which was way out of warranty and they couldn't replace it but they did give me a 50% off coupon code to purchase another mouse, so I bought the G700 for $50.

I've got a Logitech G700 and have been very pleased with it, can be wired or wireless as well.
I only buy Logitech Mice and Keyboards now as they have excellent customer service.

I called a couple of weeks ago about a malfunctioning MX Revolution which was way out of warranty and they couldn't replace it but they did give me a 50% off coupon code to purchase another mouse, so I bought the G700 for $50.

Something like that would have saved the relationship between Razer and I, unfortunately. Customer service is SO key, so that's great to hear, re: Logitech. Yet another voice. I'm thoroughly convinced.

Agree 100% on the MX518. Just got my first one today coming from a MX Revolution, and man the MX518 is good.

Logitech can have iffy drivers, but their actual products have been awesome for me. Love my G9X.

I have used the Razer Mamba, the Logitech G7, and the Logitech G700, and my opinion is that Razer mice have poor build quality and their software/drivers are abyssmal.

Logitech's build quality is very good, their customer service is top notch, and their drivers have always performed flawlessly for me without any perceivable bloat (the only slight annoyance for me is that they split the driver programs into 2 for G-gear and non-G-gear, so that I have 2 applets running to control my K800 and G700).

just went from a MX518 (few years ago - got it when it first came out) and am now using a Zowie EC1 (in black). it's a newer company but I play games competitively so I didn't want to sacrifice quality. so far it's been great in any game I've played and doesn't skip like my 518 started to recently.

A small patch of the texture on the thumb rest of my G500 is wearing off. I sent a message to Logitech's tech support, and they're sending me a new one. Amazing.

A small patch of the texture on the thumb rest of my G500 is wearing off. I sent a message to Logitech's tech support, and they're sending me a new one. Amazing.

Just out of curiosity, is this within the 3-year warranty period?

If I were going the Logitech route, I'd pick the MX518 over both the G9x and G500 because of the ADNS-9500s positive acceleration.

Just out of curiosity, is this within the 3-year warranty period?
I believe so, although I actually bought the mouse from someone else so I can't say for sure. I just needed to provide the serial number; no proof of purchase was necessary.

MS Sidewinder, Mionix Naos 5000, Rat 7 usb mice all worked nice for me. Still like the over/under thumb buttons on MS sidewinder, wish others would use that design.

If I were going the Logitech route, I'd pick the MX518 over both the G9x and G500 because of the ADNS-9500s positive acceleration.

If you so choose the Logitech route I agree with this statement by Cabbs.

If you had ever used the good ol' optical Microsoft IME 3.0 and enjoyed it I would have to recommend the SteelSeries XAI.

i've had 2 razers. 1st one's mouse-1 broke, laser problem on the 2nd one (usable but annoying)... regret getting it. wish i had gotten a logitech instead (maybe a steelseries xai).

i've had 2 razers. 1st one's mouse-1 broke, laser problem on the 2nd one (usable but annoying)... regret getting it. wish i had gotten a logitech instead (maybe a steelseries xai).

XaI's are cheaper than both of those... most likely break a button within a few months like some of my friends have. I hate the Xai... cheap ass crap with a high price so people think its quality.

If you so choose the Logitech route I agree with this statement by Cabbs.

If you had ever used the good ol' optical Microsoft IME 3.0 and enjoyed it I would have to recommend the SteelSeries XAI.
I think it's a little funny how you agree with a comment criticizing the ADNS-9500 and then go on to recommend the Xai, which uses that sensor.

I have used a few Razer mice over the years. Only 1 crapped out. Last one was a Lachesis. current one is a Naga (from when I played WoW. Hell those side buttons are good for any MMO) I like my Razer Naga.

I have used a few Razer mice over the years. Only 1 crapped out. Last one was a Lachesis. current one is a Naga (from when I played WoW. Hell those side buttons are good for any MMO) I like my Razer Naga.

The naga is the first razer mouse i have gotten a full year out of. I almost didnt buy it because of the shitty experiences i have had with Razer.

logitech seems all over the place for build quality, I have had gaming mice last 3 years, and others last 3 months.

I did some research and seems they are just like every other mouse out there. I wish there was a mouse I could buy and have last 12 years like my microsoft keyboard has.

Logitech. IMO there isn't a Razer mouse that competes with the MX518 which is Logitechs entry level gaming mouse. Anything higher is just that much better.

that's not true at all. The higher you go in their product line the more negative acceleration you get.

I have an MX518 that's seen regular use since late 2005. It still works perfectly.

I also have a G5 that's still good as new and a G500 that's been nice.

That said, I'm using a Deathadder right now, so... there's that. It's the first time I've bought anything from Razer in ages though, since sometime before the MX518 actually. So my experience with the DA will decide whether I return to one of my logitechs or keep going Razer.

that's not true at all. The higher you go in their product line the more negative acceleration you get.

If you're talking about going up in Logitech's lineup, you'll get more positive acceleration.

That said, I'm using a Deathadder right now, so... there's that. It's the first time I've bought anything from Razer in ages though, since sometime before the MX518 actually. So my experience with the DA will decide whether I return to one of my logitechs or keep going Razer.

In my opinion, the Deathadder is the best mouse in Razer's product line. One of their two mice that doesn't use the Twin-Eye sensor.

Wow, ouch! Lots more Razer-hate in the thread. I didn't expect to hear people being so harsh .. I actually expected to get flamed by fan-boys.

I absolutely dispise Logitech's drivers and it's what originally pushed me away from Logitech and towards another brand.

But once again, don't purchase Logitech with the false hope that their quality is any better than anyone else.

Looking at this I find it hard to believe that you have much experience with the higher end Logitech gaming mice. I have used purchased several different Razer mouse in the past and I can tell you 100% that Logitech is a much higher quality product, from materials to craftsmanship.

Back