two questions about wireless adapters/cards

holinger

Limp Gawd
Hi, so I have two computers that need wireless cards or usb adapters, and i have some questions about them.

The first one should be pretty easy, I just no nothing about the things. I built my mother a new desktop upstairs, but our internet is downstairs. We have a wireless router, and its a wireless N router. I just need to know what a good adapter would be to make the desktop wireless without spending too much money, but at the same time something that doesn't make her internet slow. Linearly, the distance between the computer and the router is probably 40 feet, but it has to go through the ceiling of course, so I need something wireless.

My second question is about my laptop. I am in college, and my laptop does not have a wireless N card. Our wireless routers at school basically force you to have a wireless N card because anything else goes completely slow on the routers. I am wondering what my options are for this. My computer has the little expansion card slots on it, otherwise I suppose I have to go with something usb. Basically I am looking for something that is as flush as possible because I don't want a big huge thing hanging off my laptop all the time.

Let me know if you need additional information, my knowledge of computers isn't bad, but my networking knowledge is pretty low so I probably forgot to mention something that I needed to.

Thanks in advance.

For your mom's desktop computer, there are relatively inexpensive wireless G and N cards available. But given the distance that the wireless connection has to make, it may be better to buy an internal PCI (or, if you have any available slots, a PCI-E) card and a third-party extended or powered antenna. However, that combination is more expensive than buying the card by itself and, if you don't conduct any research beforehand, you may end up with an antenna that's incompatible with the card.

For your laptop, it's best to know what particular laptop you have and whether the expansion card supports PCMCIA (PC Card) or ExpressPort. Depending on your laptop, you may be able to buy an internal wireless card, which should eliminate your concerns about having something constantly "hanging" off your laptop.

For the desktop, the only pci slot used is for the 5770... so there is a pci-e and a bunch of pci slots open.

my laptop is a dell studio 14z. I don't know specifically what type of expansion slot it is, but it has a little EC logo by it.

Which motherboard did you use for your mom's desktop?

Can you narrow down the particular model of your Studio 14Z laptop? (For example, I have a Dell Studio 15, but it's the 1535 model.) That would help determine your options.

EDIT: Another option you could use for your laptop is to check out the Dell Support page and search for your laptop's original system configuration. However, that requires your Dell service tag, which should be visible on the bottom of your laptop. I have a feeling that the specs of your laptop are similar to mine, but I want some confirmation before I make my recommendations.

Last edited:
I have a few parts selections for you to think about....

For your desktop, a relatively inexpensive card is the Rosewill RNX-N150PCx. It also comes with an external 2 dBi antenna with a 1 m cord, but depending on the signal strength of your router, you may want to consider a more powerful antenna. One example of such an antenna is the Zonet ZWA1207 dDual 7dBi omni-directional antenna. Though it will work with any wireless adapter that uses RP-SMA connectors, it may work better with a Zonet adapter like the ZEW1642D. (Simply detach the two existing antennas from the adapter before connecting it to the external antenna.)

As for your laptop, Dell has a few internal adapters available. I'm using the Dell 1510 wireless adapter in my laptop, but its replacement, the 1520, is available. A popular third-party option is the Intel 5300. While it has three antenna connections, you could still use a two-antenna setup. However, the 5300 reportedly works much better with three antennas versus two.

Last edited:
do those laptops cards slide into the expansion slot I have, or do I have to open my computer up?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You'll have to open your computer up. But there is a service manual available for your laptop that you can use to ensure that you're not damaging your system.

(Off topic, but I'm somewhat surprised that your laptop didn't come with an internal wireless adapter. But I digress.)

(Off topic, but I'm somewhat surprised that your laptop didn't come with an internal wireless adapter. But I digress.)

No I think it did but it's not Wireless N which is needed for his school's wifi network for speed purposes

That's stupid. I know more people with wireless G cards and routers; hell, most of the people that I know who use wireless N did so based on my recommendations to them.

Back