Two New Vice Presidents at Radeon Technologies Group

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
We just announced two computer industry veterans joined AMD to help accelerate the growth of our Radeon Technologies Group (RTG). With these leadership hires we will create dedicated business and engineering teams within RTG to help drive our aggressive business and technology plans. These moves are about expanding the leadership team working on graphics as a part of our further investments to drive leadership graphics IP that is used across AMD.

Mike Rayfield, Senior Vice President and General Manager, AMD Radeon Technologies Group
Mike Rayfield comes to AMD from Micron Technology, and will take on the role of senior vice president and general manager of AMD Radeon Technologies Group. In that capacity, Mike will be responsible for strategy and business management for RTG, including consumer and professional graphics as well as our semi-custom products. Mike has over 30 years of technology industry experience, including a deep understanding of how to grow a business and drive results.

David Wang, Senior Vice President of Engineering, AMD Radeon Technologies Group
David Wang rejoins AMD from Synaptics. He will be responsible for graphics engineering, including technical strategy, architecture, hardware and software for AMD graphics products. His past roles at AMD included the position of corporate vice president responsible for SOC development of processor products, including GPUs, CPUs and APUs. David is a well known and respected member of the semiconductor engineering community, having guided the development of many cutting edge products during his time at ATI, ArtX, SGI, Axil Workstations and LSI Logic. David spent 14 years at ArtX/ATI/AMD previously, and worked on multiple game console programs plus every generation of GPU from the R300 family through the HD 7000 series.

Given the reliance of our semi-custom business our graphics technologies and products, we are also taking the step to bring the team together under RTG and Mike’s leadership to drive a larger footprint for Radeon across the industry. We are very excited by the addition of Mike and David to the AMD team as they both have deep knowledge of the semiconductor industry and a proven ability to drive results.

Mike has 13 years of mobile experience with NVIDIA and Micron. David left AMD about 6 years ago and was then a product design engineer. So we have one business guy and mone engineer.

This can only be good news for AMD, Right ??

Shows that they want people loyal to the company.
Shows that They will not sell Radeon.
Shows that they are still committed to Radeon.

I guess Yes, most definitely.
Does it mean beating Nvidia; Most likely not yet but atleast something better than what we've gotten on the hardware side.

I was half expecting to see Raja... ;)

(C'mon: he's over at Intel putting AMD graphic chips into their cpus. It's all good.)

That just means we'll have to plaster Ruby's titties all over AMD's twitter. :)

If I remember right I liked David Wang. The R300-HD 7000 had some of my fave times for ATi/AMD, this could be a good thing. Also not so sure about Rayfield since I'm not as familiar with him but he seems to have a solid resume and the idea of having someone in charge of the business end and another the tech end could be a very good thing if they can coordinate alright.

Just wanted to thank you Kyle for being one of the few sites to report this story without having some bit about "Raja's surprise departure to Intel" or some other line making it sound like he left them rather than being forced out...I still think they gave him a raw deal on that. :(

worked on multiple game console programs plus every generation of GPU from the R300 family through the HD 7000 series./
Well that's encouraging, given that those were their best products by far.

Good to see the sleeping red dragon continuing to stir. I was very impressed with Ryzen but only slightly with the latest GPU's. I welcome the day when they can release a product in the same price tier as a competitor and it doesn't just perform favorably but actually leaves it in the dust.

Good to see the sleeping red dragon continuing to stir. I was very impressed with Ryzen but only slightly with the latest GPU's. I welcome the day when they can release a product in the same price tier as a competitor and it doesn't just perform favorably but actually leaves it in the dust.
Vega 56 vs GTX1070 did that sir,
But yeah I get what you say ;)

Back