Two New Sonic Games To Recapture The Glory Days

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Sega is returning their mascot to his roots with two new games, Sonic Mania and Sonic Generations. The former is basically a Sonic title straight out of the ‘90s, while the latter sounds like a follow-up to Sonic Generations, mixing old-school and modern interpretations of the character.

"Sonic Mania was born out of our fans' love of the classic Sonic 2D platform games,” said Iizuka. "This type of collaboration is a first for Sega and we hope everyone will be both surprised and delighted by this title. Sonic Mania has been a passion project for the entire team and we look forward to sharing more details about it later this year. Having the game actually playable at the event itself tonight was testament to the dedication of the team behind it.”

My old man worked 20 years on the line
and they let him go
Now everywhere he goes out looking for work
they just tell him that he's too old
I was 9 nine years old and he was working at the
Metuchen Ford plant assembly line
Now he just sits on a stool down at the Legion hall
but I can tell what's on his mind

Glory days yeah goin back
Glory days aw he ain't never had
Glory days, glory days

Sorry, but at this point, my opinion of Sega is they got lucky with the first Sonic games, and were never really any good. No faith they can pull this off.

Eh... Sonic IMO was never really THAT good, at least compared to Super Mario Bros, and that game I feel like "God damnit why are you continuously making mario games for each new generation of console... but why is it actually still fun!"

Sega owns the trademark to Sonic, so they don't need to pay to license a character from anyone else, and if it catches on people need to pay to license Sonic from Sega, how Sega is still in business today is really a mystery.

I think they realize that Sonic Generations didn't suck and decided to remake it again after Sonic Boom's disaster. I kinda liked the new look of the Sonic Boom characters, just the game sucked.

Sorry, but at this point, my opinion of Sega is they got lucky with the first Sonic games, and were never really any good. No faith they can pull this off.

the Sega from back then isn't the same company anymore. All the major talent left long ago, it nearly went bankrupt and got bought out by a company that sells pachinko machines

Bought Generations recently. Runs well on my Linux HTPC. A bit too much variety for my taste. It all starts with one of those huge open space levels where I always end up out of time. Wtf?

Sega made a mistake just becoming another software developer. I don't think there IPs where never strong enough to exist on other peoples hardware. They should have taken the Nintendo path... and just kept making consoles. There was no need to try and compete with Sony and MS trying to bring PC gaming to the living room. They could have set their sights on Nintendo and just kept making their style of game console games, they could have cultured a loyal if not smaller audience and waited like Nintendo has done. At some point the Sony/MS war is going to end either with both giving up on the market, or hardware technology getting to a point where it becomes irrelevant. Nintendo has nursed their IPs... and using Mobile like the current Pokymon stuff to keep their IPs out there. (although I'm sure they had no idea the GO app would hit that big). When they release their new NX its going to destroy sales wise even though the specs are going to be "laughable" to the console guys. Sega messed up going software only.

Sega made a mistake just becoming another software developer. I don't think there IPs where never strong enough to exist on other peoples hardware. They should have taken the Nintendo path... and just kept making consoles. There was no need to try and compete with Sony and MS trying to bring PC gaming to the living room. They could have set their sights on Nintendo and just kept making their style of game console games, they could have cultured a loyal if not smaller audience and waited like Nintendo has done. At some point the Sony/MS war is going to end either with both giving up on the market, or hardware technology getting to a point where it becomes irrelevant. Nintendo has nursed their IPs... and using Mobile like the current Pokymon stuff to keep their IPs out there. (although I'm sure they had no idea the GO app would hit that big). When they release their new NX its going to destroy sales wise even though the specs are going to be "laughable" to the console guys. Sega messed up going software only.
Yeah, great advice, make another console, that totally wouldn't bankrupt them after how the Dreamcast went, what with the market being less competitive and all. Their mistake more likely is lack of quality control. They've basically whored out Sonic to whoever will shovel out a Sonic game and don't really care what happens to it, just more Sonic games, the end. That's why the trailers are going out of their way to say "Hey guys, remember us? We made the sonic games that DIDN'T suck hard?"

Even Nintendo is having a rough time being in hardware these days, but their IP's are as strong as ever. Sega could have similar success, but once again, quality control isn't something that looks sexy from quarter to quarter.

I have one important question is the boss eggman or robotnik? Lol

that for me one when I started to not like the series, mix that with the on rails of most of the new games and the games became worse and worse. Then if not mistaken they dropped Sonic 4 mid "release" I know part one didn't go over well so they fixed some stuff for part 2 and then don't think they finished the story with a part 3.

I haven't played a sonic game in years and don't think they will ever get me back to try one.

Sonic Generations is the only recent (As in newer than Sonic Adventure 2) I've actually liked. I hope this new game is good, but I don't have much hope. I'll wait for some reviews.

Yeah, great advice, make another console, that totally wouldn't bankrupt them after how the Dreamcast went, what with the market being less competitive and all. Their mistake more likely is lack of quality control. They've basically whored out Sonic to whoever will shovel out a Sonic game and don't really care what happens to it, just more Sonic games, the end. That's why the trailers are going out of their way to say "Hey guys, remember us? We made the sonic games that DIDN'T suck hard?"

Even Nintendo is having a rough time being in hardware these days, but their IP's are as strong as ever. Sega could have similar success, but once again, quality control isn't something that looks sexy from quarter to quarter.

There mistake with the dreamcast was to try and compete with Sony. As I staed they should have been worried about Nintendo... instead they built in a 56k Modem ! seriously you couldn't have made that up, it was beyond dumb even at the time. I mean come on they sold a broadband adapter as an add on. Trying to compete with Sony was a bad move... they could have put out hardware that would have delivered great Sega Game experiences.... if they lost the majority of the low royalty third party software game so be it, there is little profit in that anyway which is why Nintendo has never pandered to them by eating hardware costs ect.

Nintendo is going to push a little toy box loaded with a bunch of classics and make a killing because there will be big profit on the hardware. There is NOTHING stopping Sega from doing the exact same thing. There was nothing stopping them from putting a console out with Wii type specs when the wii launched, they could have competed with the Wii U, and even now they could compete with the NX if they had some leadership. They have the catalog, they have the brand... investors are always willing to throw good money after bad, just look at MS. Sega could have hung in the game if they where smart enough to understand what the game was... of course they where not and they are now pretty much history, they will never achieve what they had in the past ever again releasing software only.

There is no rule that says you have to loose money on the hardware. Its why Nintendo makes money and none of the other game companies do. (a few quarters of profit don't erase years of losses unless your a brain damaged investor) Yes Sega could have done the same thing Nintendo did. Release hardware you can make a profit on, produce a ton of in house software you make lots of profit on... and sit back and wait for the other guys to eat each other with massive loss leading hardware and a game industry they fight over ensuring that neither of them get royalties anywhere close to sweet enough to cover their looses up front. Heck Sony and MS are so stupid that now after years of looses they are showing small quarterly profits, they are both going to go and respin their hardware and go back to loosing money on every unit pushed.

Yes Sega was stupid to exit the hardware scene... they should have just sold through their stock of dreamcasts. Then released a dreamcast 2.0 with a built in broadband and with almost no upgrade on the hardware other then the standard die shrunk reduced cost parts. They could have sat comfy as the number 4, did the standard copy the Wii motes thing everyone did back then and sell their first party software. They had some very poor short sighted leadership.

Back