Two new builds, no video either one.

wandplus

Limp Gawd
Both have Corsair CX 450 power supplies and AsRock B560M-HDV motherboards. One has an i5-10400 with 16GB HyperX RAM, WD 256GB SSD & WD 2TB HD. The other has an i5-11500 with 16GB Crucial Ballistix RAM, WD 1TB SSD & WD 2TB HD.

Both machines turn on, however there's no video at all on two different monitors. Any clues?

I connected them to one DVI monitor and one VGA monitor. I forgot to mention they also both have an Asus DVD-RW. I guess I might look more into this tomorrow.

I connected them to one DVI monitor and one VGA monitor. I forgot to mention they also both have an Asus DVD-RW. I guess I might look more into this tomorrow.
just using the onboard vid? try something with hdmi, then a single stick of ram and then maybe try clearing the cmos.

I don't know if I can find an HDMI cable here. I can hear the DVD-RW and HD when I turn it on. So maybe the CPU is working? Anyway, the onboard video is what I tried. I can try a video card later on but I want to do a bit of research before...

OK, I tried clearing the CMOS, no dice. I had to find another jumper in another machine because I couldn't find a jumper in the AsRock box. Anyway, I unplugged the computer, took off the mobo battery, put the jumper on the CMOS pins and it made no difference.

try to find something hdmi to try, then try a stand alone gpu.
secondary mobo power is plugged in? the 4/8pin in the top left.

Are there any indicator lights on the board or a code readout ? Do you have a speaker hooked up to hear error beeps?

OK, I'm going to address those two last posts tomorrow but for now I'm going to post more details on the 2 machines. I also emailed AsRock support.
First machine:
AsRock B560M-HDV mothervboard BIOS version P1.30
Intel i5-11500 CPU (BX8070811500)
Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BL2K8G32C16U4W (WHITE)
Western Digital WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WDS100T2B0C
Western Digital 2TB WD Blue PC Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD20EZBX
ASUS (DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B) Internal 24x DVD Writer
CORSAIR CX Series, CX450, 450 Watt, 80+ Bronze Certified, Non-Modular Power Supply

Second machine:
AsRock B560M-HDV motherboard BIOS version P1.30
Intel Core i5-10400 - Core i5 10th Gen Comet Lake 6-Core 2.9 GHz LGA 1200 65W Intel UHD Graphics 630 Desktop Processor - BX8070110400
Kingston HyperX Fury Black Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 DIMMs (HX432C16FB3K2/16)
WD Blue SN550 250GB PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 Solid State Drive (WDS250G2B0C)
Western Digital 2TB WD Blue PC Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD20EZBX
Asus DRW-24F1ST 24X DVD-RW Drive
Corsair Semi-Modular ATX CX450M Power Supply CP-9020101-NA

thats all should work, the cpus are supported out of box so bios isnt an issue. are the in a case yet, did you bench test before assembling? a couple more things to add to your tomorrow list.

Update for now...
Note that once I tried one thing like unplugged a HD for example, if it didn't work, I plugged it in again before trying another thing. Also, when I tried with no sticks of RAM, the computer still came on but there was no change. To summarize:
- cleared CMOS > no change
- unplugged DVD-RW > no change
- unplugged HD > no change
- removed one stick of RAM > no change
- removed both sticks of RAM > no change
- switched RAM slots > no change

I don't know if I can find an HDMI cable here. I can hear the DVD-RW and HD when I turn it on. So maybe the CPU is working?
Those devices are mechanical. They will make noise so long as they have power and do not indicate anything.

k. do you have a mobo speaker you can attach to listen for post beeps? even if you have to yank one out of an old case...
do you have an hdmi tv you could hook them up too to test?
and dan is right about those drives.

Do you have a linux livecd or windows install disc you can try booting up? The boot resolution may just not be supported, or the motherboard may not output on DVI/VGA from the bios.

I didn't see an HDMI cable in the boxes I looked into. My secondary mobo power is plugged in. On the second machine I just tried, I do have a speaker connected. But I didn't hear any beeping noises. I tried a GTX 1050Ti video card on that machine and still no video signal. And there's no LED on the mobo to diagnose either.

On the first machine I worked on, I tried taking out the M.2 SSD and this machine no longer had any lights or fans working, completely nothing. I know I dragged my knees on the ceramic floor with rubber Addidas sandals when I put the RAM back in. So I don't know if I fried the RAM with static electricity. Or maybe there was an electrostatic discharge when I turned the screw on the SSD. So maybe it's the CPU that's fried.

I don't know if I can even try a disc as the post above suggests. I can't see any video whether it's onboard DVI, VGA or DVI on a video card.

Last edited:
re static, unless youre in a really dry area its probably fine. if youre worried about zapping something, screw a steel screw into one of the psus, leave it off but plugged in and touch the screw to ground yourself.
take everything apart, use a mobo box as a base and try swapping chips and one stick of ram between boards. see if you can get either to post that way.
re the hdmi, do you not have a console or blueray or cable box on a tv? something with hdmi you can try.

I had pondered ordering a BIOS chip but came across a peculiar description on eBay. Someone is selling BIOS chips for the mobo in question but wrote R2.0 in the description. I looked at the mobo and box and can't tell if I have revision 2.0 or not. I contacted the seller who only said the description was adequate. And no word yet from AsRock. Do you know if AsRock still sells BIOS chips?

so these are off fleabay? were they supposed to be working? no idea about the bios chip, youd have to contact them.

No, the mobos were from Newegg.ca I was the one who made the mistake of putting these things aside for months while I waited to build. I think the Newegg RMA period is only 30 days. So I might be kind of screwed in a way. I ordered new things but just waiting for the orders to arrive. I was thinking once I can determine what's good and what isn't, then I can sell the good ones and the other ones for parts...

Couple of ideas off the top of my head:
1. Make sure the monitors have the correct source selected.
2. Try to stick with a digital video signal (VGA is not digital). DVI supports and has pins for both digital and analog signals, but analog support has been getting dropped lately in ports, cables, adapters. HDMI would be best.
3. Unplug everything from the mobo, leave just power, CPU, and RAM. That should be enough to turn on and display POST information. This is your goal.
4. Make sure you wait long enough. Some mobo's can take surprisingly long to POST for the first time. >30s is not out of question.

Are the PSU and HSF fans spinning? Any LED's on the mobo? Are the CPU's new? The "2.0" BIOS may or may not be needed for 11th Gen CPU, but you should not need it since you also have a 10th Gen and should be able to update both mobo's with that.
Finally, what's your PC building experience like? Not trying to be offensive, just would be helpful to know. Sometimes novices miss one type of things, whereas done-it-all's miss other types of obvious stuff.

lol at least I finally got word from AsRock. It was just stuff about clearing CMOS etc. I think I'll re-try with their method but will see later...

Did you remember to use mobo standoffs and check for any standoffs that may have come pre-installed in the case in a location you don't need (causing a short)?

Have you tried bench testing either build? (Connecting everything on a piece of carboard outside of the case.)

You may want to post some pictures just incase we can spot any obvious mistakes. I've seen all sort of goofy things over the years like non latched CPUs or cables plugged into wrong headers causing shorts.

Did you remember to use mobo standoffs and check for any standoffs that may have come pre-installed in the case in a location you don't need (causing a short)?

Have you tried bench testing either build? (Connecting everything on a piece of carboard outside of the case.)

You may want to post some pictures just incase we can spot any obvious mistakes. I've seen all sort of goofy things over the years like non latched CPUs or cables plugged into wrong headers causing shorts.
I think I had used something like 9 motherboards in the past, none with issues like this. Haven't tried out of the case yet. And standoffs were used. I might be a bit busy for the next few days so it might take me time to do more so...

Just a little update. I did order an HDMI cable and a different motherboard. Right now I'm too paranoid to name the motherboard because I ordered another one for another machine. In any case, I did get to start the Rocket Lake machine with the new motherboard (even without the HDMI cable).
I do intend however to try to resuscitate at least one of the defective motherboards with a BIOS chip.

Just a quick update. To fix one machine I had used a Gigabyte B560M DS3H and did not buy the newer version to fix the other machine because a version 2 came out without the VGA connector. I ended up buying another new ASRock B560M-HDV but this time it had version P2.30 BIOS. I was able to flash it to version 2.60 and installed Windows.
I might later on try to figure out how to fix both version P1.30 ASRock B560M-HDV motherboards if I feel inclined to do it. I still hadn't tried using the HDMI cable I bought. (I also have another CPU and RAM sticks I was going to use for my mother's build anyway.)

EDIT: I'd like to add though the ASRock mobo has a soldered BIOS, not one you can replace easily. And the Gigabyte model had the LED pins on the board that allows you to use RGB fans (from Coolermaster for example).

Last edited:
Back