Two More Microsoft Published Windows 8 Games Released

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft is busy keeping its promise of launching a large number of Microsoft Studio created games made for Windows 8. The games, Rocket Riot 3D and Elements 2 Special Edition, will both be available from the Windows Store

How about them just give us some Halo and other games from the 360. Halo 3 been out for how long?

How about them just give us some Halo and other games from the 360. Halo 3 been out for how long?

That was my thought, do what they did with Halo2 and make it W8 exclusive for no good reason :D

It's easier to make brand new games than it is to port X360 games that use APIs highly similar to the APIs in Windows 8.

Wait, no it isn't. Nevermind.

actually, the old xbox 1 games were easily portable because the old xbox ran on an x86 processor and codebase, whereas the 360 runs on a powerpc processor and codebase. porting is a lot of work. id highly doubt many of the libraries those titles rely on even exist in directx on x86

actually, the old xbox 1 games were easily portable because the old xbox ran on an x86 processor and codebase, whereas the 360 runs on a powerpc processor and codebase. porting is a lot of work. id highly doubt many of the libraries those titles rely on even exist in directx on x86

Xbox360 to PC is pretty straightforward, the architecture is largely abstracted away by DirectX on both platforms, enough to make porting relatively trivial from a technical perspective. The biggest problems we see in ports is that most games just dont bother to polish the software to the subtleties of PC, all that QA is sunk into the console version because Microsoft charges a fortune to let you patch your game so you better get it right.(which they still dont)

Like's it's been said it's trivial work to port a 360 game. Consider this though, how sad is it that even Microsoft won't release games for their Windows platform? You'd think a game like Halo would get simultaneous releases for 360 and Windows? How many years has Halo 3 been out? They're even close to releasing Halo 4 now.

I would think that releasing Halo games even exclusively to Windows 8 would go a long way to getting people to adopt Windows 8. Otherwise I'd sooner switch to Ubuntu.

Xbox360 to PC is pretty straightforward, the architecture is largely abstracted away by DirectX on both platforms, enough to make porting relatively trivial from a technical perspective. The biggest problems we see in ports is that most games just dont bother to polish the software to the subtleties of PC, all that QA is sunk into the console version because Microsoft charges a fortune to let you patch your game so you better get it right.(which they still dont)

risc code is very very very different than cisc code

Like's it's been said it's trivial work to port a 360 game. Consider this though, how sad is it that even Microsoft won't release games for their Windows platform? You'd think a game like Halo would get simultaneous releases for 360 and Windows? How many years has Halo 3 been out? They're even close to releasing Halo 4 now.

I would think that releasing Halo games even exclusively to Windows 8 would go a long way to getting people to adopt Windows 8. Otherwise I'd sooner switch to Ubuntu.

Honestly, if they bought out Halo 3 for Windows 8, I'd probably get Windows 8 (after ensuring it's not easily hackable to play in Windows 7) :p

At the end of the day, regardless of my particular loves and hates of different OS's, the OS I choose to use is the one that firstly runs the programs I need, secondly runs the programs I want and thirdly isn't a steaming pile of shit. :D This is why I DON'T like the idea of closed platforms and app stores and OS's that feel having an appealing/annoying UI is more important than getting me in to the program I want then going far far away.

PC gaming's biggest barrier to success..... Microsoft - go figure.

Microsoft's biggest barrier to success, Microsoft (they keep fighting themselves over and over again)

Microsoft, maker of such great games as Hover! ,,, :rolleyes:

hover.jpg

Actually,

I take a little bit (but not all) of my sarcasm back.

They did - after all - develop Microsoft Flight Simulator which I recall amusing myself with version 4 of as a kid...

Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_4_screenshot.png

Cool and well made if you are into flying planes, but gets boring after a while.

I just hope this doesn't further contribute to that "Games for Windows Live" disaster.

The sooner "Games for Windows Live" dies a horrible horrible death, the better for everyone who enjoys games on the PC.

One simple reason for this: to promote XBox 360 sales at all costs so that MS can lock you into the XBox ecosystem...

risc code is very very very different than cisc code

Thats what the DirectX API's are for. Instead of programming to RISC or CISC, you program to DirectX and the DirectX implementations are then programed for the respective platforms.

On the comment of Halo, they shoul remake the first three Halo's with the Halo 4 engine, and release them prior to Halo 4's release on both console and desktop. It'd be the best way to go.

I've never played any Halo. My friends look at me like I'm retarded every time they hear that since my wife and I both play a lot of Xbox (we each have our own with our own TVs since waiting for a turn was to much of a hassle). I don't do shooters on console. Hell, don't even play any Xbox right now, Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2 came out, that's all I care about at the moment.

Now bring me another damn Age of Empires Microsoft! AoE Online isn't what I want, I want the REAL thing. I'm jonesing here.

It's easier to make brand new games than it is to port X360 games that use APIs highly similar to the APIs in Windows 8.

Wait, no it isn't. Nevermind.

New games? Rocket Riot 3D and Elements 2 are old games. You don't think MS would make new games for the PC do you?

Hell, don't even play any Xbox right now, Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2 came out, that's all I care about at the moment.

QFT. Borderlands 2 for PC rocks balls. My 360 is collecting dust. Wife keeps asking me why I'm not playing in the living room and what am I doing in there laughing out loud by myself??

I just finished the side quest re: Lilith's little fire cult thing. OMG that was some funny sht.

Why was 5 of the 13 news posts for Saturday Windows 8 related when most people around here despise it? lol

On the comment of Halo, they shoul remake the first three Halo's with the Halo 4 engine, and release them prior to Halo 4's release on both console and desktop. It'd be the best way to go.

Halo 1 already has a decent remake, though i dont know why they couldnt do lan play. Halo 3 is already on xbox 360, and graphically little worse. There is a strong rumor of a Halo 2 anniversary edition. The only problem i see with using halo 4 engine to remake it, they would have to pay big attention to the physics of halo 2. Many poeple loved xbox version but didnt like the pc version of 2 because they changed some physics that made it play like halo 3.

I've never played any Halo. My friends look at me like I'm retarded every time they hear that since my wife and I both play a lot of Xbox (we each have our own with our own TVs since waiting for a turn was to much of a hassle). I don't do shooters on console. Hell, don't even play any Xbox right now, Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2 came out, that's all I care about at the moment.

Now bring me another damn Age of Empires Microsoft! AoE Online isn't what I want, I want the REAL thing. I'm jonesing here.

I would wait and see how the reviews are, but its looking like halo 4 is going to be a must have. Since your already use to a controller, it wouldnt be that hard to be better than 50% of the population. Probably for the first 6 months of halo 4, is when all the new players going to be on.Should be pretty good time for that. Along with all the old ones too.

Back