Two MMORPG Q's - One Poll Q

Would you play a new, zone based (Not seamless world) MMORPG?

• Yes, I would play a new, zoned based MMORPG

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • No, I would not play a zoned based MMORPG

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • No opinion / See results

Votes: 9 20.9%

• Total voters

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
Q1: Would you play a new, zoned based (not seamless world) MMORPG?

Q2: What MMORPG do you think got crafting / tradeskills right (fun, beneficial, balanced, etc) ?

Yes I would. I would hope that it isn't all zone based. But meh, just being zone base isn't a bad thing.

Crafting right? Pssh, easily Ultima Online. Only thing bad about it is that some of the stuff is kind of useless for gameplay. Like... what's the use of making a bed? It's not needed or anything.

1. Yeah I have no problem with a zone based world.
2. None that come to mind have yet that I can recall. I didn't mess with crafting in some MMO's that I tried simply because I didn't bother playing the game long enough and I can't really remember any crafting system standing out for the ones I have done it.

I did like the chance of failure in EQ with the potential to lose some/all of the reagents. I do like how you get some perks like you do in WoW as well.

From what I heard Vanguard had an amazing crafting system but I never played the game to see.

I really wouldn't want to play in an instanced world, but if gameplay was great I would.

I think wow's crafting system is benficial & balanced but certainly isn't fun.

I really meant zone based like older MMO's like EQ, not necessarily instancing.

I just ask because there is a lot of time spent filling worlds with stuff. What if MMO's went back to being zoned based so that developers could spent time crafting smaller area's with more touch, rather than just filling in nothingness with something.

Q1. I have no problems with zone based MMORPGs and would play one again.

Q2. That's a tough one. I typically will do at least "some" crafting in an MMO, but have never found a system that hit all marks for me. I like elements from UO, FFXI, Vanguard.

I like zone based like EQ.. Especially for EQ where MOBs do not lose agro... I can't count the number of times I clicked my Journeyman Boots and bolted for the zone when soloing. As far as a new zone MMO.. I don't see any reason that would factor into my liking it.

Been playing MMOs since EQ in early 2000 and I never got into crafting beyond necessity for quests.

Star Wars galaxies is the only mmo Ive ever played with a worthwhile career system.

Honestly, and most people will call me insane, I'll take a system like TOR's for crafting any day. I'd rather a crafting system where you are more manager and less mash some buttons to craft some shit. More time management of using the resources (companions) then your standard harvest press a few buttons to craft. The actual process of crafting in most MMO's is the most boring mind numbing fucking thing ever.

Star Wars galaxies is the only mmo Ive ever played with a worthwhile career system.

i was pretty young when i was playing that but i remember going into this huge desert field and there were probably like 200 people all of them shooting at one another with like 4 jedi in the middle going ham. it was the coolest shit.

I'm fine with zoned content and fine with seamless. As long as it is well done, don't care.

Crafting? Probably Ultima Online or SWG pre bullshit. Though crafting in EQ became extremely useful later on in its life.

EQ2 system of crafting originally was pretty good, but harder than most. I also liked seeing people die from crafting failures...

i was pretty young when i was playing that but i remember going into this huge desert field and there were probably like 200 people all of them shooting at one another with like 4 jedi in the middle going ham. it was the coolest shit.

There were imperial and rebel held planets in SG. The biggest battle I ever took part in was on Naboo which was an imperial planet. 200-500 players.

In SWG because it was a world effect type game A big clan of a 100 or rebels got together and built a big base on naboo. When the word went out about it people laid siege to it for days. I believe the main problem was you had to a maximum of x people occupying a structure before you were allowed to start taking it apart I'm not sure. Anyway it took us a week to route the rebels and take down the base.

Q1: zone system or open world is about the last thing I care about in an MMORPG
Q2: Everquest 2 had a good crafting system but the best I personally experienced was SWG's

SWG crafting was the best. Crafting actually mattered and the economy, until people started to farm holos, was amazing.

WoW's crafting system was okay, but the items you produced were never that great unless it was legendaries. I helped my friend finish our Alliance first Hand of Ragnaros in vanilla and that was blast (the only person on the server who could craft the hammer was Horde so we logged into our friends Horde accounts, ran through BRD, crafted the hammer and then sold it to our friend back on his Alliance character through the neutral AH at like 3am).

Perhaps I'm alone in this, but I enjoyed crafting in Aion and GW2 quite a bit.

SWG was great because you really didnt have to sit there and craft, the factories did it for you. Plus farming resources was fun because of the stat variables.

crafting in eq was terrible, selecting a fixed amount for everything, placing them into the machine, combine then remove item to do it over again...

One good thing about it was you didnt need recipes, all good crafting items took groups to get and took some skill to hunt them down (and competition). I hated crafting in eq, mastered all skills (got that one book in pop you level up with skills. But after hating skills so much I still crafted a shawl VIII, that was an amazing time camping out in western wastes soloing wolves.

Back