Two DIR-655 questions for new setup

Surly73

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been forced to make some changes to my home Internet connection. I used to have a commercial grade DSL product which comes with a Cisco demarc router/modem and uses a public, routed /30 to connect to the customer prem router. I'm now moving to a residential grade product.

The Cisco and the routed /30 are history. I'm using a TPLink TD-8816 as my new modem. I've elected to use it in bridge mode and have my DIR-655 pick up the PPPoE function for a couple of reasons.

1/ best luck with dyndns now that I'm going dynamic IP
2/ I don't need the extra non-routable /30
3/ increased likelihood of best results with MTU/MSS fragmentation issues and performance by having my LAN gateway do the fragmentation
4/ simplicity

So, on to my two questions:

1/ I'd still like to be able to access my modem's admin interface. I've assigned it's LAN side to 192.168.2.1/24. I've read that Tomato and some other firmwares have a particular place to put this information for accessing the modem. Anything that can make this work properly on the DIR-655? Google found some pretty goofy workarounds where people bypassed their SPI firewalls with weird patching that I'm not going to do.

2/ After burning in the new modem I decided it was working OK and groomed the cables and wall mounted the new modem. As part of this it was power cycled and left off for a while. The DIR-655 never noticed the WAN port ethernet transition (should have been its first clue) or the fact that the PPP session wasn't actually up. The DIR-655 admin interface just showed the PPPoE up for over a day and the uptime was still ticking up. Meanwhile no traffic could get through (and I was trying to send some) While I was watching it never attempted to reconnect. Logging into its admin interface clicking "disconnect" then "connect" worked fine. What happens when something goes wrong and I'm not at home to do that? Why doesn't the DIR-655 figure this out or do I just need to wait longer? The Cisco IOS implementation of PPPoE in my old commercial product had no trouble tying the PPPoE to the actual DSL/ATM going up and down. I never ran the TD-8816 in router mode for long enough to test if it was better at this than the D-Link.

Thanks,

Back