Two different sockets working together?

morningreis

[H]ard|Gawd
My dad has an old PC. He bought it in like 2000 and it was kinda old even then. It has 384MB PC100 RAM, a 600MHz Slot 1 P3 Coppermine. The mobo is interesting though. It has an Xcel 2000 chipset (I've never heard of it either) but it has two different sockets. One is the Slot 1 that is obviously in use and the other one is 370 pin socket. I know I can get another P3 in the 900MHz to 1GHz range to slap in there, but I want to know, will this work as a dual processor system?

I know this is kinda ancient technology, but if I can get it to work as a dual processing system, it would really help. That's what this PC really needs, some more processing power. My dad doesn't game or anything, but even just using FireFox is slow.

Already using XP Pro. And the 384MB RAM is sufficient, even though it is only PC100.

Thanks.

I'd give it 98.44% chance that it won't work. It's probably just so you don't have to use a slocket with it. You could get a motherboard and processors off eBay for about $100, that'd be a good alternative.

no it's not gonna work. Every motherboard that I've seen with two different socket types is simply for upgrade reasons...you can run one or the other but not both.

Thanks. It would have been cool it it did work but oh well. I'll probably just wait and upgrade him to socket 754.

Thanks anyway.

I agree, that would be kinda cool if it worked... I have a weird fetish for slot based mobos. My roomate has a slot PIII 600mhz too... I have told him he has to sell it to me whenever he decides it is time for an upgrade.

Sounds like one of the old PCCHIPS mobos. I used to see them at the computer shows (way before reliable internet retailers) all the time. The shady dealers put signs up like "dual interface" and the chumps would get them home and realize it wasn't really MP.

PCCHIPS also was famous for their BX100 chipset label. Then the shady dealers would put PC66 RAM in them and if you asked, does this have PC100 RAM, they would say "Yes, look at label! PC100!" Similarly, when you asked them if it had an intel BX chipset (the best chipset at the time), they would say "yes, look at label! BX!"

Back