Two bad PSUs in a row?

Synomenon

Supreme [H]ardness
Got my second SilverStone ST65F-G today. This new ST65F-G has the exact same issue as the first. An annoying high-pitched squeal / buzzing noise.

The noise happens randomly, but frequently. I've tried plugging the ST65F-G into different power outlets in my house, my friend's house and at work and even to an automatic voltage regulator. I've tried it in three different computers as well. I also did all of this with the previous ST65F-G.

Keeps making the noise as long as it's plugged into power outlet and the power switch on the back is on.

Is it possible that I've received two "bad" units in a row?

I like the ST65F-G because of its compact-ness (140mm depth, 150mm width) which makes it easy to put into my BitFenix Prodigy. I don't think I could get any other modular PSU in there.

Here's a recording of the noise:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/20o5ds1fv8wwmmz/ST65F-G Squealing.m4a

Coil whine. Happens randomly, some units more than others. There is nothing "wrong" with the power supply in that coil whine is not an indicator of a malfunction. In fact, coil whine is perfectly normal during operation, it's just that it's usually at a higher pitch than human ears can detect.

Coil whine, as I said, happens randomly. It can happen with certain hardware configurations and not with others. It can happen at different load levels. It can also come from the motherboard or GPU, it's not limited to PSU only. It also depends on a person's sensitivity to it. Some people can hear it, while others would not hear it at all.

You can try another RMA and you might be lucky enough to get a unit that doesn't have coil whine that you can hear. Since you got two in a row with that noise, it's highly possible that that particular power supply model tends to have coil whine which you are sensitive to.

Hmmm... Anyone know of any other 140mm depth, fully modular PSUs w/ at least 80+ Gold rating?

^^ Corsair AX series perhaps? I don't know the measurements though..

Synomenon, you may want to submit your system config to our tech support and see if they can help you in any way:

[email protected]

The only other fully modular PSUs with 140mm depth that are 80 PLUS Gold certified are:

ST55F-G
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=351&area=en

The ST55F-G is the 550W version of the PSU you have now so it'll likely behaved the same.

and ST60F-PS
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=363&area=en

The ST60F-PS is based on a completely different platform so it'll behave differently with your system. It passed 80 PLUS Gold certification even though we are selling it as an 80 PLUS Silver model.

Thanks Tony. I've actually been in contact with someone named Joel through [email protected].

he hasn't responded in awhile though so I posted about it here. My system:

BitFenix Prodigy case
Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe/WD
Intel i7-3770t
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB)
EVGA 4GB GTX670 SC
Dual Panasonic Slimline blu-ray burners
240GB Intel 520 Series SSD
300GB Intel 320 Series SSD
230mm BitFenix Spectre Pro. Fan
140mm BitFenix Spectre Pro. Fan
120mm BitFenix Spectre Pro. Fan
Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B Heatsink

Dell U2713H 27" LCD Monitor
Dell U2410 24" LCD Monitor
Dell U2211H 22" LCD Monitor

Do you have any idea why these ST65F-Gs are making this noise? Would you recommend I try another ST65F-G or try a ST60F-PS this time?

Also, why are all of SilverStone's power supplies listed as "Discontinued" at Newegg?

Thanks Tony. I've actually been in contact with someone named Joel through [email protected].

he hasn't responded in awhile though so I posted about it here. My system:

BitFenix Prodigy case
Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe/WD
Intel i7-3770t
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB)
EVGA 4GB GTX670 SC
Dual Panasonic Slimline blu-ray burners
240GB Intel 520 Series SSD
300GB Intel 320 Series SSD
230mm BitFenix Spectre Pro. Fan
140mm BitFenix Spectre Pro. Fan
120mm BitFenix Spectre Pro. Fan
Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B Heatsink

Dell U2713H 27" LCD Monitor
Dell U2410 24" LCD Monitor
Dell U2211H 22" LCD Monitor

Do you have any idea why these ST65F-Gs are making this noise? Would you recommend I try another ST65F-G or try a ST60F-PS this time?

Also, why are all of SilverStone's power supplies listed as "Discontinued" at Newegg?

Sometimes, newegg lists things as discontinued when they are out of stock, not when they're actually discontinued

Sometimes, newegg lists things as discontinued when they are out of stock, not when they're actually discontinued

its also when newegg has no plans on restocking the item as well.

Back