Twitter's Is Trying To Trademark The Word 'Subtweet'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Twitter has filed a trademark application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for the word “subtweet.” The company says that it needs to "protect its namespace from people who would misuse it."

Twitter wants to own the subtweet. In a recent filing, the company has sought trademark rights to the word "subtweet." Used colloquially, the word refers to a tweet that refers to a specific person without using that person's twitter handle. The term has been in public use since at least 2013, and does not appear to have originated with employees of Twitter Inc, but is rarely used outside the context of Twitter as a platform.

Is there any easy way to check to see if a word has already been trademarked?

I have never heard of that term before. Was that ever used before?

Whatever. It's not like anyone else was going to use that word for anything really.

Are "Re-tweet", "Un-tweet" and "De-tweet" taken?

What about supertweet? Ultratweet? Megatweet? It's all crap, just like twitter.

I've never heard of this term before. Further their definition makes no sense. It's a tweet referring to a tweet that refers to a person with using their username.... Well I guess it makes sense but it doesn't seem like a thing that needs to exist. At all in any form. Like Cis

Considering, it's basically not used for anything else, why not? This is actually a prime example of how trademarks should be. A word not in common parlance that may or may not be popular in the future kept to the company that use it. Not like "apps" or "saga" or even "Diablo."

Though, the word app did get more usage after apple put it to use in reference to phones. Won't deny that.

Sub-tweet...is that when someone who lives in a basement responds to Tweet? :p

Back