Twitter Tests New Ad-Blocking Reader Mode

HardOCP News

[H] News
Let me see if I understand this correctly. Twitter, a company that makes its money by selling ads (even though it has never turned a profit), has decided to test a new feature that strips ads, links and comments out of web sites it links to. I guess if they can't make money on ads, no one else should be able to either.

Twitter is testing a new feature on its iOS app which turns on Apple’s “Reader” mode by default on every link opened in its in-app browser. First introduced in 2010, and ported to iOS in 2011, Reader mode is a oft-forgotten feature in Safari that strips out most of the formatting from a webpage, removing adverts, navigation links, comments, and almost everything else except for the main content of a text-based article.

azuza001

Gawd
It's a business model. First they strip the ads from the sites, then they offer businesses a way to put the ads back in for a nominal fee, and then they get a cut from the ads as well as money from the websites.

It's not extortion, it's a business plan! They have to make money somehow, right?

Saist

Limp Gawd
And yet... if only Twitter would simply offer Twitter users an option to use the Twitter service WITHOUT ads for say $2.99 a month, $10 a year... they'd probably make a profit in just a single day.

Armenius

Fully [H]
And yet... if only Twitter would simply offer Twitter users an option to use the Twitter service WITHOUT ads for say $2.99 a month, $10 a year... they'd probably make a profit in just a single day.
True. There are a lot of suckers out there. Most of them are probably Twitter users.

Azphira

[H]ard|Gawd
When I think of twitter, I don't think of birds, I think of twits.

Olle P

Limp Gawd
Reply to post #4:
I think that's the plan here. First they test (a beta version of) the new app to make sure it works, then they let you subscribe to use it.