Twitter Spent 2016 Pouring Gasoline On Its Fires

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you were going to explain how Twitter did in 2016, this headline pretty much sums it up. Then again, if we were to be totally honest, pouring gasoline on its own fires is pretty much what Twitter excels at as a company.

Twitter isn't a single entity, but a conglomeration of communities that use the same platform for various purposes. There's weird Twitter, political Twitter -- hell, there's even a cute animal pictures Twitter. Beyond communication in 140-character snippets, there's only one other thing that the service's disparate users can agree on: the fact that the site has failed to fix any of the fundamental problems that have dogged it for years.

Making business decisions based on your politics is a bad idea. Case in point (turning down millions of dollars in revenue):

I spent years and years not understanding the purpose of Twitter at all. But then came this year and Twitter brought me the Becky Lynch opening a can of pineapple thing and I'm pretty sure that by itself justifies the existence of the whole platform.

I'm okay with the trolling Tweeters... how else would "Celebrities Read Mean Tweets" have been a thing?

Back